Keeping Things Even - Cover

Keeping Things Even

Copyright© 2022 by Ka Hmnd

Chapter 13: Wizards come to the City

The streets were alive with rumors the next morning. They had just started when another rumor made everyone forget. It was about a group of Mages that had entered the city. I went about the stables working and it was almost noon when the mage arrived. He walked into the courtyard and glanced from master Hoard to me. He had a little satisfied smile, “So it is true. A Peacemaker is here.”

I stood watching him carefully and let a throwing spike slip into my hand, “What do you want mage?”

He started to gesture and froze as I shifted, “Before you finish you will be dead.”

He looked at me and his eyes narrowed, “You think your weapon can break my shield?”

I smiled thinly, “A normal weapon, no. A spike forged with salt and ash...”

His face whitened and then he straighten, “Do not interfere with us Peacemaker.”

He turned to start walking out and Master Hoard stepped out of the doorway. As the mage started to gesture I threw the spike. It slammed into a wood post near his head and he spun to face me with wide eyes. I already had another spike in my hand, “Make no mistake mage. I am a Peacemaker. If you break the Imperial law or harm those I protect I will kill you.”

His face was white as he backed out of the stable yard. I finished the chores and went to my chest to dress. When I came out wearing the peacemaker uniform I crossed to the Inn. The kitchen was quiet as I walked through to the common room. As I walked into the large common room it fell silent. Master Hoard turned and bowed, “my lord?”

I smiled, “I will be back. Watch yourself and do not trust the mages.”

I looked around the room and then crossed and walked out. I walked towards Judgment square and knew who I would meet before I got there. I walked through the crowd toward the four brightly colored robes before the Speaker’s Stand. The crowd parted as they realized who I was and then silence swept the square. I faced the four mages standing together, “Patre.”

He smiled, “Edward.”

I only glanced at the others before looking at him, “I had a visit.”

He frowned and looked at one of the mages before looking at me, “Perhaps a bit early.”

I kept looking at him, “You swore an oath.”

He bowed, “I have kept my word.”

I glanced at the others, “And your ... friends?”

He shrugged, “They have not sworn an oath.”

I nodded, “Make your allegiances and your plans. When I have proof...”

His eyes narrowed, “Still roaming the streets Edward?”

I smiled, “Only the shadows Patre.”

He looked at another mage, “Shadows have voices Edward.”

I grinned as I looked at the same mage, “When they speak to loud I will visit their master and quiet them.”

Patre looked at me again, “Do you really think you can stop the fall? There are only three of you left and the Emperor has declared you outlawed.”

I smiled and let a throwing spike drop into my hand, “Our mandate goes beyond the Emperor or his actions. You could ask him why he could not remove our seal before his throne...”

The mage at the end started a gesture and I spun after throwing the spike. I let two more spikes drop into my hands as I faced Patre. The two mages left standing with him were white faced as they looked at the one on the ground with my spike in his chest. I looked at Patre as he stood calmly, “The Empire will stand. Do not push to hard Patre. I do not want to kill my own uncle but I will.”

He bowed slightly, “I gave my sister my oath Edward.”

I look at the others and back to his face, “If you do not follow an oath in spirit than you have already broken it.”

I back up and at the last second turned to walk away. I walked through the streets heading towards the monastery for Blal. This was a small chapel very few people came to. I pushed the tall narrow doors open and walked in. I walked down the narrow isle as my footsteps echoed in the building. I stood before the alter and waited. A woman suddenly appeared, “Peacemaker.”

I bowed, “Mother.”

She smiled, “The gods are restless. The charge they gave the Peacemakers is straining. Nobles, Merchants and Mages are trying their patients.”

I grinned, “Patre is here and you know he works against the empire.”

She sighed, “He was my brother and now seeks to have his oath back. His plot is not here, he seeks only your death so he can be free.”

I nodded, “that is not something I did not know.”

She bowed her head, “I am sorry Edward. Watch the rich merchants and the poor nobles. He will seek to make them braver and try to get them to cooperate with each other.”

I nodded and then bowed, “Thank you mother.”

She smiled, “You accepted a heavy charge Edward. The woman of your heart draws near.”

I lifted my head to look at her in surprise, “Her name?”

Her laughter was like the sound of musical bells, “You will know when you meet her my son.”

I sighed and nodded before kneeling. When I looked up she was gone and in her place was an ancient crone. I smiled, “Thank you priestess.”

She smiled gently, “Thank the gods young peacemaker.”

I nodded and turned to leave. At the door I emptied my purse into the coin box before leaving. I was almost to the Inn when the four men attacked. I was aware of them before they even pulled their weapons and slid to the side and away from three of them as they closed. Both my swords swept out and my left sword blocked a swinging sword as the street quickly cleared.

I rolled the sword over the blade and threw it back as I kept moving. My right sword absently took the welders hand. I slipped my left sword back into its sheath as the other three men closed and with a sharp twist a throwing spike dropped into my hand from my sleeve. I moved around a thick wooden column to make two of the men move out of position.

My suddenly thrown spike flashed across the cobbled street to sink into the throat of a young looking mage that was gesturing. The closest man lunged and I parried his sword. I turned the blade inside of mine and cut his throat as I sliced back across his body. I moved back the way I had come and one of the two remaining men sliced across towards my hand.

I pulled my hand back letting his sword slid along mine before rolling my sword around his and tossing it down as my other hand pulled a knife. I pushed down and out with the sword and I cut across with the knife, cutting off several fingers holding his dagger as he thrust it at me. He screamed and fell back and it was just the one remaining attacker. He hesitated as I slid closer, “to late to run now.”

He swallowed and slashed at me wildly and followed it with a lunge. I knocked his dagger aside with my sword and shifted to the side to avoid his sword and let his body crash into mine. My knife slipped easily through his ribs and into his heart. I pushed him back and careful moved away. I walked across the street to the body of the mage and knelt. I removed my spike before cutting his throat.

I walked back to the Inn and went back to work in the stable. I slipped into my room and made a couple of preparations. I mucked stalls and curried horses while people came and went. It was during the evening rush that I felt the atmosphere change. It was in the voices in the common room of the Inn. I dressed and walked around and came in the front doors.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.