Keeping Things Even - Cover

Keeping Things Even

Copyright© 2022 by Ka Hmnd

Chapter 1: The Merchant’s Home

I watched the merchant’s home from two houses away. The large gargoyle I was hiding behind was more than big enough to hide me. I watched as the door opened and both the merchant and his annoying wife walked away. I waited until they were down the street further and carefully moved back. I quietly moved to the side of the building and lifted the narrow board. Each end of the board had rags wrapped around it. I pushed the board across the gap between the houses and let the other end down onto the edge of the other house.

Staying on my stomach I crawled across and then moved quietly to the other end of the house. Another board and I was on top of the merchant’s house. I moved to the back and spent a few minutes watching the windows of the house behind the merchant. I unrolled the rope from around my waist and secured it to a crenel. I took a breath and slipped over the side and down the rope.

The first window I came to was a small one into the attic. It was not even locked and I slipped in. I pulled the rope in behind me. Quietly I moved to the narrow stairs down and stopped at the door. It was locked and I pulled out a narrow black case with my tools. I used a small bar with one end that was slim and slid it between the door and the jam. A little pressure up and the door opened. I put my tool away and stepped out into the third floor hallway.

The servants were all out for the evening and I made my way to the stairs. On the second floor I turned left and moved down to the engraved door at the end. I pulled two small tools out of my case and knelt to pick the lock. Twenty seconds later I was stepping into the merchant’s bedroom. There was a second door on the left wall. It was thick and had three deadbolt locks.

I grinned and moved to the door, “people are really dumb.”

I pulled out a long, thin punch and turned to the opposite side of the door. I used the punch to push the center pin out of the three hinges. I pulled on the door and it came out on the hinge side. I moved it sideways and looked into the tiny room. The small chest had a single lock that I was able to pick quickly.

I opened the chest and smiled at the stacks of gold and silver. I left the silver and took the gold. Two hundred gold pieces and a small bar. I closed and locked the chest before putting the door back. I put the pins back in the hinges and cleaned the floor. I locked the merchant’s bedroom door and made my way back to the attic door. I used the slim bar to hold the small locking bar up as I closed the door.

I tossed the short rope out and squeezed out after it. I closed the window behind me and climbed back to the roof. I coiled the rope and stuffed it in my pack before moving back the way I had come. After crossing to the next house I pulled the board after me. I did the same thing after crossing the last board. I moved to the back of the house and almost all the way down.

A light rope lay coiled with the center loop held together by a large metal ring. I put the loop of rope over the nearby crenel and dropped the rope. I held the metal ring and pulled down on the two ends of the rope as I slipped over the side of the roof. I made my way down hand over hand until I was on the ground. I relaxed my hold on the rope and the metal ring drop down the rope. I pulled on one end until the other end finally left the roof and the rope fell.

I coiled the rope and put both the rope and the metal ring in my pack. I slipped through the overgrow garden to the back wall. A jump and I was hanging from the wall. I pulled up and twisted so that my body rolled onto the top of the wall. I glanced up and down the narrow alley before dropping to the ground. I began walking and after a couple of blocks I felt them behind me.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.