The Hand Bound - Sam's Adventure Book 1 - Cover

The Hand Bound - Sam's Adventure Book 1

Copyright© 2022 by PT Brainum

Chapter 58

I was about three miles outside of Salt Bush when my phone rang. I hit the button on the steering wheel, and answered, “This is Sam!”

“Are you ok?” my Dad asked.

“Sure, I’m fine. Why? What’s up?”

“I’m watching the news, and they are showing live helicopter footage of the mall in Summerville.”

“I didn’t do it!” I said.

Dad laughed, getting the joke, “Where are you?”

“Just outside town, I’ll be home in less than 15.”

“That’s great, would you mind getting takeout?”

“Sure, where from?”

“Your pick, you know what I like.”

“Ok, I’ll get Mexican, see you soon,” I said, hanging up.

‘Adam call Azteca.’

The phone rang a couple times, and Ms Hernandez picked up. I gave her my order, the chicken enchilada, and Dad’s usual chile relleno. It took five minutes to get there, and by the time I was at the front of the long takeout line, my food was ready to go. I paid, and walked out to the car.

I was just about to get in, when I realized all my packages were still in my pocket space. I walked around to the back, checked that no one was looking and unloaded them into the back seat. Then I set the food on the passenger floorboard, and walked back around, getting into the driver’s seat.

‘Adam, were you going to remind me I needed to carry the clothes in from the car?’

‘Sure, but your Dad is anxious to see that you are ok, you could always go get them from the car after dinner.’

‘What’s going on in Summerville?’

‘The mall cops had just enough handcuffs for the three stooges, the police found the getaway driver’s car where you left it, and the news is desperate to interview Mrs Dooley and Ms Arman about the event.’

‘Are the police there?’

‘Yes, they are trying to figure out why there is no recording on the security system except static during the robbery.’

‘Let me know if they start mistreating the witnesses.’

‘They are being very nice, as their story matches Neil who has confessed every crime he has ever committed. Gerry and Marc remain unconscious and have just arrived at the hospital.’

I pulled up to the house, and Dad opened the door. I waved, got out and got the food, and went to the front door where he was still standing.

“I’m just glad you are ok. You sure you’re fine?” Dad asked.

“I was just leaving when the announcement was made that everyone should exit. I didn’t stick around to find out why, too much shopping, I just wanted to go home.”

He looked me up and down again, checking out the clothes, “You really have grown haven’t you?”

“Yeah, I think it’s why I’ve been so hungry lately. Coach said I’m over 6 foot now.”

Dad looked at me seriously, “You might need to take the bus if you keep at this speed. I had a buddy in highschool, same thing happened to him and he started fainting while walking between classes. Lasted for almost a month.”

I looked at him, realizing I was only an inch or two shorter than him, and that the worry in his face was etched deep. I smiled, “I’m not feeling faint, but I’ll keep that in mind for my morning runs. Maybe I should order a treadmill.”

He took the bags of food from me, saying, “I’m starving, let’s eat, then talk about a treadmill.”

I was happy to get in and sit. Shopping really is exhausting.

The TV was on, and the helicopter was showing the mall and police cars around it, lights flashing. The title on the screen, ‘Attempted Armed Robbery at Summerville Mall’ in big red letters. Eventually it went to a commercial so I knew they didn’t know much yet.

We watched the local 9 o’clock news to see if there was more information, but they just reported that there were three armed robbers who were subdued by mall security, and a fourth man, identified as Jack Hill, was wanted by the police. They showed a picture of him, probably from his social media because he was grinning goofily.

‘What happened to Jack?’ I asked Adam.

‘He ran on foot after you broke his car.’

I turned to Dad, “I’m beat, I’m going to go to bed, homework is done, see you tomorrow.”

“Ok, goodnight,” he said, interested only in the sexy woman on TV selling car insurance.

I was laying in bed, thinking about how bad my day started, but it turned out ok. ‘Have those guys ever robbed a store before?’

‘One other armed robbery, a jewelry store in another town, they shot two people.’

‘Anyone die?’

‘No, but it wasn’t pretty. Neil connected them to that robbery.’

‘Have they found Jack Hill yet?’

‘Yes, about 20 minutes ago the police found him at his Mom’s house.’

‘That’s got to be embarrassing.’

‘She was pissed, he had her car, and didn’t bring it home.’

I laughed, trying to keep it quiet. ‘Is it driveable?’

‘They had to get a flatbed, it wasn’t even towable.’

‘If I had squeezed the motor it might have started a fire.’

‘You left a handprint on the transmission case.’

‘Any fingerprints?’

‘No, the Orb was shifting into a claw when you crushed it, so no imprints of your human fingerprints.’

‘Getting identified the first time out would stink.’

‘Do you think you might do something like this again?’

‘Who knows, it worked this time. Just wish I could fly.’

‘Find a source of thrust, otherwise you’d need wings the size of a 747 to flap.’

‘Fusion powered boots!’

‘Would leave you a bloody smear at the bottom of the boot,’ he said dashing my dreams.

‘I need something that negates my mass, so simple flaps of the angel sized wings are effective, or maybe a small jet engine.’

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.