The Hand Bound - Sam's Adventure Book 1 - Cover

The Hand Bound - Sam's Adventure Book 1

Copyright© 2022 by PT Brainum

Chapter 36

I sat in the car until I calmed down. I was just about to hit the big red start button, when my phone rang. I pulled it out of my pocket, and answered, “This is Sam.”

“Hi it’s Joan, I wanted to call and tell you that the prison is on lockdown, and your Dad will be home late tonight.”

“Is everything ok? Is Dad ok?” I managed to get out without my voice squeaking.

“He’s fine, and he said to tell you that he quit today.”

“Why didn’t he call me?” I asked, regretting the whine in my voice.

“He just had time to call me before he got called away.”

“Ok, thanks for calling Aunt Joan. I’m just leaving school, so I’ll be home in a few minutes.”

“Ok, keep your phone on, he might text you.”

I hung up, just as the phone rang again, “This is Sam.”

“Sam, Mike Pence from Pence law. Michaela would like you to come in and wait for your Dad at her office.”

“He might be late, something happened at the prison.”

“Yes, she’s aware, and Mom, I mean Meredith, is on her way there now,” he said.

“Ok, hopefully when I get there you can explain what’s going on.”

“I’m certain that Michaela can.”

“Ok, see you in about 45 minutes.”

I texted Aunt Joan about the change in plans, and headed toward Summerville. I pulled into the parking lot early, having forgotten how much closer the school was to the highway to the city.

“Hi Sam, the conference room is open if you need a space for homework. Can I bring you a drink?”

“I’ll take a Sprite or a 7up, if you have them.”

“I’ll see what I can do. Michaela will be free in about twenty minutes to give you a run down on everything that is happening.”

I got myself settled, and a few minutes later Mike brought in chocolate chip cookies, and a couple cold cans of 7up. I got to work on my Geometry homework, as that was where I had the most work to do.

I looked up as Michaela entered, “Good afternoon ma’am,” I greeted.

She flipped a wall switch that didn’t seem to do anything, and closed the door behind her, then she walked around, and shut the door to the lobby.

“Sam, I was good friends with Hiram Peterson for many years,” she began as she sat down across from me at the table. She sat with such grace and poise, and she looked directly at me, studying my face.

“In my neighborhood he’s just old man Peterson,” I responded.

“I’m very impressed by the research you did. It reminds me of Hiram. He knew things, could give me background on anybody I asked him about, including details that no one else knew. He was also always right.”

“Does that mean you know where the booty came from?”

“Booty?” she asked.

“That’s what Aunt Joan called the coins I found, and the name stuck.”

“Ah, pirate booty. Very much like her. No, I don’t know where he got it from, for all I know it was something that Marshall acquired,” she gave me an intent look, to check that I was following the conversation.

“I know who you are talking about because I looked up the house and it’s inhabitants at the library.”

“Hiram said that someday someone else would inherit his abilities, as they would likely inherit the house as well.”

She paused, waiting for my response, but I kept my face neutral, and didn’t respond. She continued, “I rarely have a criminal defense case, but I’ve taken on a client as a favor to an old friend. If you inherited Hiram’s ability along with the house, then I really need to know if he’s guilty or not before I continue.”

Adam whispered in my ear. I smiled, making a gut decision that felt right. “Tim Lebow has killed four women, and was stalking his fifth before he was arrested.”

She frowned in thought, then nodded. “Thank you, that’s what I needed to know.”

“So will you drop the client?” I asked.

“Probably not, but I will be pushing for a plea bargain. Perhaps even inability to stand trial because of insanity.”

“You better be quick, Tim is not half as clever as he thinks. They’ve already connected him to three of the women, and are closing in on his trophy box. Four makes him a serial killer, and a media event for the prosecutor.”

“I’ll do my best to advise my client. He’s likely going to get life in prison regardless.”

“Just know that if you try to assist by making evidence disappear, I’ll never assist you again.”

She gave me a hard look, “That is certainly not something I would ever do. No amount of justice will bring the girls back, but their family needs to know what happened, even if we can’t explain why.”

“Good to know, now what can you tell me about my Dad?”

“Not much, Meredith hasn’t called in. I know he contacted her after the lockdown ended, and that he’s quit his job, citing safety concerns and mismanagement. He was threatened by management, and that’s when he called Meredith.”

“The comptroller panicked when he heard my Dad talk about having a lawyer and quitting for being illegally overworked. He gave an inmate a knife from the kitchen with instructions to kill my Dad.”

Her face became grim, “I trust Robert over at the prison, he’s the chief warden. I better fill him in on what’s going on, and make sure your Dad and Meredith have no chance for a terrible accident to befall them while they are there.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.