Letters of the Heart - Cover

Letters of the Heart

Copyright© 2022 by Megumi Kashuahara

Chapter 7

Sean called Megumi on January 20th and told her they would be leaving Jordan on February 7th. He said he had some bad news and that their flight plan had them doing a three-hour layover at La Guardia Airport in New York on the 8th, local time, instead of BWI. He was hoping they would land at BWI so that he and Megumi could at least have a meal together. Even if it was a burger and fries. She asked him, “How long do you think you’ll need to stay on base before they give you leave?”

“We’re thinking no more than two weeks, but there’s talk it might be a month. I haven’t talked with Josh for a while. It seems he’s been a little preoccupied. I take that to mean that he and Suki have connected very nicely, right?”

“Oh, Sean,” she swooned, “we were right! They are a perfect match! They can’t seem to get enough of each other, and with her now living here without any time difference, they are either texting each other or yacking on the phone.”

“Well, once I get back to the states, I’m gonna want to do that too. Unfortunately, I don’t want to upset your study schedule.”

“You won’t upset my schedule. At first, it was a real challenge because of the double case load, but once I developed a routine, it’s not so bad.”

“Boy, it must be something to be a genius.”

“A lot of times, it’s a pain in the butt. People expect perfection from you all the time. And on top of that, they talk like, with your I. Q. it should be a snap.”

“Yeah, I never thought of it that way. No matter what, you still need to put in the work. To do two years’ worth of medical schooling in one school year is unfathomable to me...

“Hey, Baby Girl, I miss you so much! I can’t wait to see you face-to-face and hold you in my arms. But then, I don’t feel so bad when I stop and think that I have someone to love and miss. I remember being all alone, no one knew or cared that I have a heart full of love to give. Don’t get me wrong. I, of course, have family, but family is different than having a personal, special love that’s shared between a man and a woman.”

“I can somehow empathize and understand. I mean, no boy ever looked at me like he thought I was attractive enough to approach or ask out. That doesn’t count the lecherous looks you get from guys who undress you with their eyes. I, like you, always wanted that special someone just for me. That’s why I’m so happy that the Lord gave me you. I’m a whole different person with a whole different perspective on life. And not only for me, but for you too. And, for Suki. In just a few short weeks you should see the difference in that girl! With Josh, she has come alive. She asked me about when you’re coming home. She said, “I can’t wait to see my man also.”

Sean chuckled and asked, “My man?”

Megumi giggled and said, “She kinda got that from me. I’m always calling you ‘My Man,’ especially in front of my mom and aunt and uncle. Daddy just smiles. He likes the reaction I get out of mom with her suppressed happiness that I have a good man that she has certified good enough for her daughter. Josh has been encouraging Suki and she has found the courage to say she has a guy whose top shelf also. She does it to throw it up into her dad’s face.”

“So. She and Josh have hit it off that well?”

“Like peaches and cream, like boys and fast cars, like –”

Sean cut her off, “Sweetie, I got the picture. So ... baby brother has gone Japanese in a big way, huh?”

“Oh, Sean, he likes her so much and dotes on her like a lovesick puppy. She has responded the same way, confessing to him after a week. All throughout the day it’s ‘Josh this,’ and ‘Josh that.’ Do you wuv me like that, flyboy?

“My darling little lotus flower, if I did that here on base, I would probably be pistol-whipped.”

“Little lotus flower? Pouring it on a little thick, aren’t you?”

“Simply to make a point. We moan over our women amongst ourselves, those of us that are close. By the way, do you own a kimono?”

“Yes, I own two, but usually, in Japan, guys and girls wear a less formal, less expensive, more comfortable garment called a yukata. I have several of those. They are still restraining to walk in. You can only take short steps. You cannot walk fast, jog or run in them.

“Getting back to the topic, Suki and I want to wait and see our men for the first time together at the airport.”

“That’s nice. Are we all going to dinner?”

“Yes, Dad will make the reservation when we get the date and time of your arrival flight. Since your mom likes fish, he picked out a seafood restaurant near the airport.”

Sean asked, “With three cars, will Suki ride with Josh in Dad’s car, or will they go in your dad’s car?”

“Believe me, where Josh goes, she’ll be one step behind holding his hand.”

“Wow, that will be a sight ... My little brother with a girlfriend. Are you really gonna run to me and jump into my arms?”

“You betcha I am.”

“What do you think your mom will do?”

“Her mouth will drop, her eyes will pop, she’ll gasp and look at my dad to do something about his rebellious child. Whenever I do something she doesn’t approve of, I’m his child.”

“Same goes in our family. It must be an Asian mother thing. Since you two women have it all figured out, what are the logistics for dinner? We agreed that if those two hit it off, we would make it their first date, right?

“Yeah?”

“So, what’s the plan? How do intend to put the two together for the evening?

“Ah ... ah, we never got that far. Saw—ree.”

“Do you mean to tell me that my brother, my dear, sensitive and gentle Joshua, whom you say worked a miracle with shrinking violet Suki like a fairy godfather, and all you can say is ‘I’m sorry?’”

... Let’s pause in our narrative for a moment. God gave girls one more gene than males. It’s called the “Daddy gene.” This gene makes its presence known in girls around the age of two or three. They magically turn into an irresistible little pixie who glances out of the corner of their eye at you so coquettishly, bats her long lashes, and gives you the “dah-dee” expression. You know, the one that melts the strongest will or tempered steel and gives the little princess whatever she wants? Yeah, that look. Well, she gave Sean that look using the tone of her voice, and said so sweetly and innocently, “But Darling, neither Suki nor I have any dating experience. We were waiting to get your expert advice.”

See? Women are sneaky ... very sneaky.

Sean said to her with a smirk, “Watch it! I’ve got my eye on you.”

“Which one?” she quickly retorted.

“If I remember correctly, you said you had no experience relating to a guy one-on-one. Were you fooling me?”

“Most certainly not. But you seem to have overlooked one very important fact.”

“Which is?”

“I have an IQ of 148 and I am a very, very quick learner.” And, I have a mom who’s very street smart.

“So, now that you’ve used your feminine wiles to ensnare my heart, do I ever have a chance of keeping a step ahead of you?”

“Afraid not. My dear, wonderful flyboy.”

Sean thought David Bowie said it best... He moaned over the phone, “Major Tom to ground control, Mayday! Mayday! Flyboy going down in flames!”

Megumi had never heard that David Bowie song, but she got the gist of his teasing lament. She soothed his wounds with her buttery reply and said, “But Darling, you will always be the king of our castle.”

“My beautiful little princess, I will hold you to that.”

Megumi chuckled within herself and thought, my darling Sean. Thinking you’re king and being the king will always be a blurry line with an Asian wife.

Getting serious, Megumi said, “All kidding aside, neither of us thought that far ahead. I did tell her that Josh will probably want to hold her hand at the airport, so position herself to make it easy for him to grab.”

“Good. I’ll tell him that she will try and make her hand available to grab and hold. Now, who all is going from your house?”

“Well Daddy mentioned taking his big Toyota SUV. I would I think that my mom and dad, Suki and I, and her mom. She definitely wants to meet Josh. She likes him and has encouraged Suki’s relationship with him. She was totally against the plot for an arranged marriage.”

‘Alright then. I’ll cancel the Corvette reservation because it’s a two-seater. Darn it! I know, I’ll reserve a Dodge Challenger SRT Demon. That car will do 200 also, but it has a back seat. So ... here’s the plan. I’ll tell Josh that he has the ‘all clear’ to take and hold Suki’s hand in front of her mom and your parents, but no snuggling, goo-goo eyes or arm around her waist or shoulders, right?”

“Right.”

“When we leave the airport, the adults from your house ride with your dad. My family, less Josh, rides with my dad. Josh and Suki can sit in the back seat and ride with us to the restaurant. Josh will go home with mom and dad, and Suki will go home with us to your house. If they really want, we can drive Josh home. That will give them another twenty minutes or so together. I need to warn Josh about no serious necking on the first date. Try to plan about six places where we can double date with them. If that doesn’t root their relationship, nothing will. Something else you need to consider. Both of them are only eighteen. That’s pretty young to be considering marriage, don’t you think?”

“I agree, but if they can solidify their relationship for two or three years, no one will withhold their blessing upon them getting married.”

“Let’s face it. I will do all I can to help my brother, but I am concentrating more on you and our marriage.”

“I understand completely. “Oh, by the way, we are filling out her application for UMBC [University of Maryland at Baltimore County]. Her Dad mocked her about getting in, but I spoke to the admissions officer and she said that she probably has the credits to apply as long as her unweighted GPA is 3.5 or better.”

“I don’t know if they have weighted or unweighted GPAs in Japan. All she can do is apply. The rest is up to the Lord. Please continue to witness and talk to her about salvation and the cross.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.