Letters of the Heart - Cover

Letters of the Heart

Copyright© 2022 by Megumi Kashuahara

Chapter 12

Keiko knew her daughter, and it was mid-November. She knew Megumi would take her final exams in one month’s time. If it all went according to the schedule that she and Dr. Levinson worked out, she would be handed her diploma right before Christmas in a December graduation ceremony. Surprisingly, many students graduate in December. Megumi sitting for the first two of three segments of the USMLE were simply a formality. If she could graduate 1½ years early, she would have no trouble with the licensing exam.

Keiko inquired about a possible Naval Academy wedding in the spring. James found out that she needed to contact Brenda Stone, the Senior Catering, Events and Weddings Manager for NABSD [Naval Academy Business Services Division]. Brenda replied within two days. She informed Keiko that yes, Sean and Megumi met the requirements for a wedding at the Naval Academy.

Use of the Chapel for weddings is limited to Naval Academy alumni, military staff, and faculty members; active-duty military members assigned to Naval Support Activity Annapolis and active-duty military personnel living in the immediate vicinity of the Chapel.

James was extremely helpful in cutting through the red tape. His friendship with Marine Major Sam Donaldson, who was commanding officer of the marines stationed there. He was also the person in charge of arranging the ceremonial Arch of Sabers. Since Sean was on active duty in the Air Force, a select group of six to eight airmen from Andrew’s Air Force base would stand on either side of the wedding exit to “shelter the bride” as she and the groom walked out. Traditionally, it represents the USAF’s pledge of fidelity to the couple.

Keiko hired an Annapolis area military wedding specialist that would do all of it from logistics down to the last detail, licenses, and the reception. They were also an approved vendor of the Naval Academy called Going to the Chapel.

Megumi went nuts she was so happy. James had a few useful connections and was able to get a wedding date of April 4th, the Saturday after Easter Sunday. Now, with a date, the wedding planner went to work.

Megumi and Sean agreed that Josh would be Sean’s best man and Suki would be Megumi’s maid of honor. Megumi chose four of her close college classmates as bridesmaids, and Sean chose four of his lifelong friends.

One notable difference in an Air Force military wedding is that the saber bearers cannot be in the ceremony as ushers as they can in the Army. The saber bearers are the head of the processional line of the wedding. It was decided that although the wedding was being held at the Naval Academy, Sean was in the Air Force, so tradition held that the traditions of the Air Force would rule the day.

Since the ushers were not in the military, they would wear Air Force blue tuxedos with waist coats that resembled the Air Force formal dress blue uniform. The bridesmaids would wear a pastel, very light powder blue gown to compliment the dress uniform trimmed in gold. James, the bride’s father, would wear his formal dress white naval uniform.

Sean profusely thanked Keiko and James for their active approval, support, and arrangement of their wedding. One evening, James had a talk with his future son-in-law. He told Sean, “Son. I’ve come to love you like a son, but as Megumi’s father, I need to tell you so that you will know where I will always stand. If you ever hurt my little princess or are unfaithful to her, Christian or not, I’ll hunt you down, and feed you your balls. Do we understand each other?”

“Yes, Sir. Loud and clear, Sir. I wouldn’t expect anything less from you. I admire you and who you are, but my love for your princess and my wife will be as sacred as my love for the Lord.”

“I knew I could talk to you like a man and not get any attitude from you. You are an honest man and one who has nothing to hide. You’re the right man for my little girl.”

“Thank you for entrusting your treasure to me. I will treasure her all my life.”


The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.