Two Daughters - Cover

Two Daughters

Copyright© 2021 by DB86

Chapter 7

Mary and Sabrina’s house was old and needed a lot of work. The yard too. The lawn was full of crabgrass. The shrubs were overgrown, in need of a good trimming. Inside and outside, the house needed paint and repairs. No wonder Social Services were on Mary’s back.

A quick inspection told me that the electric service was inadequate and the kitchen was dreadful, with old-fashioned linoleum countertops, cheap cabinets, a gas range that was an antique, a portable dishwasher, and a small refrigerator with no ice maker.

We started with the yard. Sabrina and I spent hours upon hours in that yard, planting new flowers, trimming all the bushes, mowing the lawn methodically, and yanking out weeds at the root. We managed to get the garden into a shape where we could put in flowers and some yard games I bought for her. Sabrina began to dance in the grass, and my chest tightened.


During the next two days, we became inseparable. I helped Sabrina with her homework, just as I had helped Elise. She was a smart kid. She just needed guidance and stability, two things she wasn’t getting in her present situation. Her grades started to be adequate and they kept improving, as time went by.


My job as a pro-bono babysitter, handyman, and tutor became permanent. I was having dinner at Mary’s house every day.

“It’s the least I can do to pay you back for what you’re doing for my daughter,” Mary said.

Of course, I was still sleeping in my camper.

I also got some part-time jobs welding things and a steady job with the local contractor. My new boss and his wife were the owners of the only bed and breakfast in town. His name was Percy and he was a good man.

“If you are as good as you said you are you’ll have a lot of work with me,” Percy assured me.

On weekends, Mary and Sabrina showed me around. A picnic by the lake. Bicycle rides in the woods. Hiking some easy trails to the mountains.

We looked over the interior of the house to start working on what needed to be done. I fixed a lot of things. My new boss pitched in when necessary. He was glad to help when I explained the situation to him. That is the good thing about a small community: you know you can count on each other in hard times. I also got a new fridge and dishwasher.

“We need to work on painting the interior, starting in the kitchen.”

“That sounds perfect,” Mary said kissing my cheek. “I can’t thank you enough for what you’re doing.”

I actually blushed at the compliment. I sat there admiring Mary and noting her physical attributes. She was a beautiful petite brunette with milky white skin. Her long curly hair flowed halfway down her back. Her eyes were black and full of light. I was vaguely aware that she was doing the same in return.

We smiled at each other.

“I enjoy working with my hands. I also enjoy spending time with you two. So it’s a win-win.”

“Thanks again for doing this, Paul, you’re a life-saver.”

I made a habit of picking up Sabrina at school and drove her in my truck to her home.

The first days her classmates looked intently at me with their eyes wide open.

“Paul!” Sabrina shouted and jumped into my truck’s cabin.

I focused again on being a dad even if I didn’t have the title. Lots of happy memories came to my mind.


I was fascinated with everything Sabrina liked. We read stories together. We watched Pixar movies. We cooked meals together. We keep doing repairs in the house.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.