Peace of Mind - Cover

Peace of Mind

Copyright© 2021 by DB86

Chapter 9

“Hi, Landon!”a cheerful voice came on the phone when Landon took the call. “This is Grace McAllister, the realtor. Do you remember me?”

Landon remembered Grace, of course. The bubbly real estate agent.

“Yes, I remember you.”

“I hope I’m not intruding, but I wanted to make sure you had everything you need.”

“I’m fine. Thank you.” Landon replied. “You and Bella were really helpful.”

“Look, I was showing a house in the area and I thought about calling you. Are you up for a visit? There is something I want to talk about with you. Don’t be polite if I’m imposing,” Grace giggled.

Landon hesitated. A visitor was the last thing he wanted. However, his psychiatrist had encouraged him to interact with people on a one-on-one basis.

“That would be fine,” he sighed.

“Is noon okay? I can take you to a restaurant or we can stay at the cabin. You decide.”

Choices. Why were they so difficult?

He couldn’t live the rest of his life hiding from everything and everyone. He knew that. He couldn’t retreat into a dark place and sink back in inertia. He had to fight back. He couldn’t get better by avoiding humans because recovery was defined and measured by his ability to interact meaningfully with them. Doctor Michaels was very clear about that.

He had taken one step forward in coming to Middletown.

Another step taking Scout, and one more step starting his treatment.

It was time to take the next step out of hell.

“Restaurant would be fine, I think.”It was said in a monotone voice, but Grace could hear his concern.

“Are you sure? I can show you around town if you’re up to it. I have to warn you, though, that everyone will want to meet you. But don’t worry I’ll chase them away from you,” she said with a giggle.

Middletown looked like a nice town, but he had grown up in an even smaller one and was familiar with its pitfalls. Everyone knew everyone’s business.

“I’m warned,” Landon replied. Scout came closer and nuzzled against his leg.

“You can bring the dog,” Grace added almost reading his mind.

“Inside the restaurant?”

“Here you can. The mayor has a soft spot for dogs and veterans.”

“Then, I will,” Landon said. “We’re new to each other and this is a strange place for him.”For both of us, he thought. Landon had not been back in town since the first day.

“I’ll be there at noon,” Grace said and ended the call.

Landon took a deep breath. Had he done the right thing in agreeing to go to a public place? What if he had a panic attack or a flashback?

“What do you think, Scout? Did I make the right choice?” Landon found himself talking to the dog often.

Scout barked.

“I’ll take that as a yes,” he said.

He went into the bedroom, opened the duffel, and took out a clean shirt, a sweater, and a clean pair of jeans and headed for the shower.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.