Peace of Mind - Cover

Peace of Mind

Copyright© 2021 by DB86

Chapter 6

Ten days later, Derek parked his car in front of the cabin Landon had rented.

“Home, sweet home,” Derek announced in his deep voice.

Bella and Grace were waiting for them in front of the cabin.

Landon didn’t move. He just sat in the car looking at the cabin. He could feel Scout in the back seat moving closer to him.

“Damn! I didn’t’ expect a welcoming committee.” Derek exclaimed. “I asked Bella to fill your fridge and clean the place. I have no idea what Grace is doing here. Wait in the car, I’ll get rid of them.”

Landon stopped him. “It’s okay as long as they don’t stay long. There’s no need to be rude. How much do I owe you?”

Derek shook his big hands, “Nothing, man. It’s a welcome gift from all of us.”

Landon hesitated, he had a really hard time accepting help from others. But he knew it would be useless to fight Derek about it. So, he said, “Thank you. I appreciate it.”

“Any time, man.”

Bella approached the car. “Welcome home, Landon. Do you need any help unloading?”

“Perhaps you can help with Scout’s belongings. He has more than Landon does,” Derek said, giving his wife a look that meant `leave Landon alone’.

Bella smile disappeared from her face and she nodded.

Landon stood by the car while Derek opened the trunk that was filled with dog food, a dog bed, and a cardboard box full of dog dishes, toys, and a leash.

Derek was right about his friend’s luggage thought Grace. There was only a medium-size duffel. She picked up the dog bed and Bella took the big sack of dog food.

Derek and Landon picked up the rest of the things and then followed the girls inside.

Grace placed the dog bed in front of the living room window.

“Do you like it here, Landon?” She asked him. He shrugged, “It’s okay.”

“Your dog is beautiful,” Grace said sincerely. “Scout, isn’t it?

“Thank you, Ma’am. Yes, that’s his name.”

Bella left the dog food in the kitchen. “I made some fresh coffee; there are some sweet rolls Grace brought. You should try them, they’re great.”

“Thank you,” Landon said, keeping Scout at his side.

“We also filled the fridge.” Bella opened the door to show Landon the content. “You’ll find a couple of casseroles and cold cuts along with sliced bread, eggs, milk, and sodas.”

“It’s far more than I expected. Thank you,” he said again. His words were polite but void of emotion. He was obviously uncomfortable.

Grace noticed Landon was scarce with conversation, but that was all right. She was tired of smooth talkers. She made a mental note to ask Derek about what was wrong with him.

“I think we should leave Landon alone,” Derek urged both girls. Bella looked at her husband with surprise. She was about to say something, but then she saw the expression on his face.

Grace also realized Landon wanted to be alone.

“Okay then. We’ll leave you to get some rest, Landon,” Bella said.

Grace took out a sheet of paper she had prepared. “My number is there, along with several others you might want to know. The veterinarian. The town doctor.”

She attached the list with a magnet onto the fridge’s door.

Landon nodded, obviously absorbing the information, then he went to the door with them. “Thank you for the warm welcome.”

“Just call me if you need company,” Grace gave herself a mental slap as soon as the words left her mouth. She sounded like a hooker.

Thing was she didn’t want to leave Landon alone. There was something broken inside him. She could sense it. His voice was soft, but it carried no strength, no conviction that would be expected of an army officer.

She suddenly realized she was staring. “I had better go.”

Grace headed for the door. She had already stayed longer than necessary. She forced herself down the path to her car.

As she hurried past him and out the front door, Landon found his gaze following her.

Bella climbed into Derek’s car and they left, waving their hands through the windows.

As she opened the car door, she glanced back. Landon Petersen was watching as she left. Slim, muscular, and tall, he looked like a statue.

As Grace drove back to town, she couldn’t get Landon out of her mind.

Dammit! Why couldn’t he have been just another disgusting sweet talker? She was never going to fall for another one, not again. Instead, Landon was soft-spoken and appealing. More than appealing.

Since she was a kid she had been a sucker for lost puppies and damaged goods. That’s why she had moved in with her brother when his first wife died. She knew she couldn’t stay away from Landon.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.