Peace of Mind - Cover

Peace of Mind

Copyright© 2021 by DB86

Chapter 5

The first days at the cabin were fine, hiking steeply up through the ancient evergreen forest. As he got tired of listening to nothing but his own thoughts, it got harder.

So, when Derek called him the next Friday, offering to drive him down to Seattle to meet the dog, he accepted.

“They won’t let the dog go with just anyone,” Derek warned Landon on the way there. “There has to be a fit.”

Landon swallowed. What if the dog rejected him? He didn’t know whether that was what he wanted or not. He had decided that if it did work he was going to keep an emotional distance from the animal.

Why had he let Derek talk him into this? Now he had to make a decision.

“You’re second-guessing yourself again,” Derek said reading his mind. It was spooky.

“If the introduction goes well, you are expected to stay at the trainer’s ranch for several days for intense training and to ensure the match will be successful.”

Maybe it wouldn’t be. In the past few days, he had read enough about the program to know there had to be trust on the part of both the veteran and the dog. He didn’t know if he could give that.

Derek turned onto a dirt road that led to a small ranch house outside Seattle. There were also stables, an oblong building with a chimney, kennels, and a fenced-in area. Several dogs came to the fence and barked as Derek parked the car.

A wiry woman came to the car as Landon stepped out.

“You must be Landon Petersen,” she said. “I’m Audrey Schmitt. Call me Audrey. Everyone does.” She held out a weathered hand, and Landon took it.

“Follow me,” Audrey said.

Before any more thoughts flickered through his mind, he was herded into the ranch house. A dog was at the window, watching. He didn’t move until they were all inside and Audrey said, “Scout, say hello.”

The dog approached obediently. He was medium size where Landon had expected a larger animal. But this dog more resembled a small collie; his coat appeared woven of shades of black, white, and tan. He had blue eyes that regarded him cautiously.

“Scout?” Audrey said again.

The dog held up his paw.

Landon took it gingerly. The fur was soft, and the dog’s gaze seemed to reach inside him and ask questions he couldn’t answer. Then his tongue flicked out and licked his hand.

“He likes you,” Audrey smiled.

Landon found himself petting the dog.

“Try behind his ears,” Audrey suggested. “That and his stomach are his favorite spots.”

Landon followed the advice and rubbed behind the dog’s ears. Scout turned on his back and bared his stomach. Landon rubbed it, stopping when he heard a rumbling noise.

“That’s a groan of pleasure,” Audrey explained with a smile.

“You sure about that?”

“I’m sure.”

Landon went back to rubbing Scout’s stomach before straightening up.

“You think he will do?” Audrey asked.

Landon stood and Scout sat in front of him. He hesitated. Scout lifted the same paw that he had before and looked expectant.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.