Peace of Mind - Cover

Peace of Mind

Copyright© 2021 by DB86

Chapter 40

The next weeks passed in a blur. Landon didn’t have time to think about that evening with Grace, nor had they more than a few brief moments together.

Grace missed dinner at Landon’s cabin four times in a row because she was working late with the different committees. It started a pattern that continued.

Landon threw himself into his writing job and spent time at the museum classifying items to avoid missing Grace.

The script was still being written and rewritten. Landon being the main writer. He knew the story better than anyone except for Marcus. The first half was completed but no one could quite agree on dramatic elements in the second. At Landon’s request, Marcus selected more entries from later journals.

Publicity for the play had already started. The date was set on the next Saturday after Founder’s Day to draw a larger crowd and perhaps entice out-of-town people to come.

Requests for reservations had come in from people in outlying areas who’d heard about the screenplay being based on the legendary Fergus Carter’s journals.

The Middletown Gazette offered to print the programs.

One evening, Landon decided to stop by Grace’s office to check on her.

She was wearing jeans and a brown shirt with the sleeves rolled up. Her hair was disheveled.

“I came to check you haven’t forgotten me,” Landon said with a smile.

“What put such a ridiculous thought into your head?” Grace stood up on tiptoes and kissed him. “You live in my thoughts and in my heart.”

When he looked closer, he saw the lines in her face, particularly around her eyes. There was worry in them. He knew how much the upcoming weekend meant to her and everyone in town. They had bet a lot on it, pouring even more money into production and promotion.

“I would much rather be with you than stay up checking on everything until I fell asleep.”

“Scout and I came to persuade you and Peaches to take a little break and have dinner with us.”

“Peaches is staying with my brother and his wife till I’m done with the darn play, but I’ll be delighted to join you.”

Once at the cabin, when they finished having dinner, Landon sat down on the sofa, and pulled Grace down next to him. He put both arms around her and sighed a long sigh. “You don’t know how much I’ve wanted to be like this with you,” he said softly.

For a moment, Grace just closed her eyes and savored the comfort of his arms. All the tension of the past weeks faded away. She felt him relaxing, as well.

“I know you’re busy,” Landon said, “but I had this fierce need to see you. In fact, I’ve had it for several days. I restrained myself as long as I could. I just gave up today.”

“Good,” she said as she ran her finger along the planes of his face. There was stubble there and it only added to his attraction.

“I didn’t have time to shave,” he said ruefully.

“I like it.”

“Then, I’ll let it grow.”

“I feel like I’m on a runaway train,” she said. “The play is good. Really good. The props and sets are amazing. They’ve begged a couple of covered wagons from a ranch that offers recreational wagon trail rides. They promised great publicity and huge crowds of covered wagon adventurers. One of the students’ fathers is a truck driver who has trucker friends, and they’re going to bring them up here.”

“Something tells me this is getting out of hand,” Landon said after bursting out with laughter.

Grace’s arms tightened around him. “I could become addicted to that laugh.”

“I think I’m addicted to you,” he replied, startled by his admission. She kissed him. It wasn’t a wildly passionate kiss. Instead, it was warm and tender and lingering.

“Then, it’s a mutual addiction,” Grace said when the kiss ended.

“Is it too early to say I’m falling in love with you?”

She looked up at him. “No. I think the same thing is happening to me.”

He led her into the bedroom. She trembled at the fierceness of her need. He undressed her, and she did the same to him, reveling in the hard, muscled, scarred body. She leaned against him and he kissed her with such tenderness her world shook. They sank on the bed.

“I love you, Landon Petersen,” Grace said as he took her slowly, and with such care tears came to her eyes.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.