Peace of Mind - Cover

Peace of Mind

Copyright© 2021 by DB86

Chapter 4

Bella cooked a special dinner in Landon’s honor. They made small talk during dinner. Derek and Bella did most of the talking. They told Landon the story of how they met and fell in love.

After they ate, the two men sat down in the living room.

“Do you like dogs?” Derek asked Landon unexpectedly.

“Sure. Who doesn’t?”Landon replied. “Never had one. Money was too tight when I was a kid, then a dog didn’t really fit into army life unless it’s military.”

“There is a program in Seattle that matches shelter dogs with vets who have PTSD. They’re trained to sense when a flashback is coming and alert their vet.”

Landon hesitated. A dog? How could he take care of a dog when he could barely take care of himself right now?

Derek waited, then said gently, “You would be saving a life.” He paused.

He knew Derek was trying to force him to make a decision, but the idea suddenly appealed to Landon. Loneliness was like a shroud around him. And a dog wouldn’t ask questions or give sympathy or question his choices. “Would the cabin owner approve?”

Derek grinned. “Sure, man. A lot of people have pets around here.”

“How much is a dog? I don’t have much money.”

“It’s free. The dog has all its shots, is well trained and there’s equipment provided, as well. A dog bed, dishes. Food. Toys. Part of the program we talked about.”

Landon felt like a fish being reeled in. He didn’t like being manipulated, but he knew Derek meant well.

Derek waited, as he always did. He rarely appeared to push, but in his own subtle way, that was exactly what happened.

Landon hesitated, just as he hesitated at any move forward these days. Inertia had taken over his life. Decisions were difficult if not impossible. That was entirely new for him. He had been making decisions since he was a little older than a toddler. When set on a course he could rarely be deterred.

But that was before. Now ... nothing was important.

“Landon,” Derek said, “Give it a try. At least talk to the trainer. See the dog. You don’t have to make a decision this minute.”

He shrugged and nodded his head.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.