Peace of Mind - Cover

Peace of Mind

Copyright© 2021 by DB86

Chapter 39

Landon and Grace lay side by side surrounded by the afterglow of their lovemaking. They talked of little things, the music they liked, the books they had read, and the dreams they had.

“You think anyone...” Landon couldn’t finish the sentence.

“I wouldn’t lay odds against it,” she said. “They’ll pretend they don’t.”

Through the open window, they could see the moon. It was almost full and the sky was filled with stars above the mountain peaks. Landon took a deep breath. The air was so clean, so fresh. He took a deep breath and closed his eyes with just the pure pleasure of it.

“I understand why Marcus wants to keep Middletown the way it is. If it were possible, I would, as well. But if a town stays still, it dies. My town did.”

Grace nodded and didn’t push him to say more.

“All that’s left are people like my mother, who was born there and nearly everyone she loves is buried there. But unlike Middletown, it has no chance of reviving. The mines ruined the beauty of the mountains. It won’t come back.”

“I’m sorry.”

“Me too. Not for my sake. But for the people trapped there.”

“Have you thought about staying here?

Landon took his time to answer. “The whole point of coming here was to get my act together. Thanks to all of you, I’m beginning to realize there is life after Afghanistan, but this is a bubble right now. Once my work here is done, I’ll go home to see my family. I won’t stay in Wyoming, though. There’s nothing there for me.”

“I don’t get it. Are you staying or not?”

He let out a frustrated sigh. “I don’t know. Wish I could, but once I finish writing Middletown history I’ll be jobless. There are not many jobs around here, and I need one.”

“Are you going to go back to the army?” Grace asked biting her lower lip.

Landon shook his head. “I’m doing better with the meds and my therapy sessions, but I’m not well enough to return. I never will. I could easily relapse and go back to alcohol to numb myself or worse. Doctors at the Center say they are willing to sign the forms and help me get an honorable discharge. I need to collect and submit a variety of records and documents, and then apply for it.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.