Peace of Mind - Cover

Peace of Mind

Copyright© 2021 by DB86

Chapter 37

Landon enjoyed another good night’s sleep. No nightmares.

“Come,” he told Scout after having breakfast.

Scout wiggled his tail and barked.

Would Landon ever get used to the way Scout seemed to understand every word he said?

They walked at a fast pace to the community center. Jonas had already made a place for him. HIS place. He had surrendered his desk, provided him with one of the computers from the library, a printer and scanner, and scrounged a file cabinet from somewhere.

There was even a water dish for Scout.

Landon found himself liking Middletown even more than he had. There was a spirit here that his hometown had lost.

He had talked on the phone with Grace every day, but she had such a tight schedule with her job and the play committees that meeting was barely possible. Derek had become his full time driver.

His phone rang as soon as he left the community center.

“Hi, Grace,” he greeted her.

“Hi, Landon,” her voice sounded sweet but tired. “I’m sorry we were not able to meet lately. Trust me, it’s not because I don’t want to. My days had been saturated with ‘the event,’ which everyone is calling it now. I’m being flooded with volunteers. I’m impressed by how eager everyone is to do almost anything. I’m steering them to the different groups according to their talents. However, no matter how busy I am, not a moment goes by when I don’t think of you.”

“Don’t worry. I understand. I have faith in you, Grace,” he said. “If anyone can pull this off it’s you.”

“Aww, you’re sweet, Landon. Your words mean everything to me,” she said, her heart-melting. “Look, I just finished a meeting and I have some free time before the next meeting. Can I come to your cabin? I know it’s a last moment thing, but I really want to see you.”

“Of course, I want to see you too. I’ll cook something for dinner.”

He still ached inside whenever he thought of the kiss they had shared.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.