Peace of Mind - Cover

Peace of Mind

Copyright© 2021 by DB86

Chapter 33

“We are going to celebrate,” Landon told Scout as he reached the cabin and viewed it with new appreciation. It was no longer just a haven. It was becoming home.

Landon was too excited to go to bed, so he sat on the couch and turned on the reading lamp.

His phone rang. He knew who it was before he answered. No one called him except for her.

“Hi, Landon,” Grace greeted him, unable to hide the excitement. “Did you and Scout arrive safely?”

“Yes we did,” he said. “Thank you for checking on us.”

“I forgot to ask you, tomorrow’s dinner is still on?”

“Yes, of course. Can’t have enough of your cooking.”

“Just my cooking?”

“I can’t have enough of the cook either,” he added.

“That’s better. I’ll see you then. Can’t wait,” she said with a giggle. “Spending time with you is precious and I love every minute that we are together.”

“I’m looking forward to it. See you tomorrow.”

Landon held the phone for a moment. What was he doing?

He had immersed himself in Fergus’ world to avoid thinking of Grace and the emotions she had aroused. However, it had bonded them more closely to each other.

He ached inside as he remembered how her body felt next to his, how her lips caressed his when they kissed.

He didn’t believe in short romances. He had seen too many of them happen to soldiers on leave, only to receive Dear John letters a few months later.

His father had courted her mother for years before she agreed to marry him. Her sister had known her husband since grade school before they had fallen in love...

Was he only making excuses? Was he simply frightened of love, of losing someone again?

He was too excited to go to bed. He sat down and opened the folder.

May5, 1853

It is a sad day. My brother Jamie died today just days from the mountains he longed to see.

He drowned while crossing a stream swollen by a storm. The wagon he was driving overturned, and his body was caught beneath it.

With a heavy heart, we gave him a Christian burial as the sun set. God give him rest. I am now the only remaining member of my family.

I will stay with the train until we reach the mountains that are now in sight. Our scout reports we will stop at a lake on the edge of the mountains and stay there several nights to rest and refill the water barrels. He said it would be a fine location for a settlement since the Indians are friendly.

I will make the decision when we arrive there, but I am weary of travel and I wish to be close to where my brother lies...

From the Journal of Fergus Carter

Landon rubbed his eyes read. Marcus’ chosen selections from Fergus’ journal had taken him back in time.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.