Peace of Mind - Cover

Peace of Mind

Copyright© 2021 by DB86

Chapter 3

“This cabin is a bit far out from town, a couple of miles, but the price is right and the view is beautiful,” Grace explained to Landon.

“Being far from town is perfect. I don’t feel comfortable around crowds,” Landon explained.

He had no idea what he would do about transportation in Middletown. Probably no taxis or Uber. He only hoped he could walk most places and beg a ride for longer distances. Maybe, just maybe, he would try driving. Wouldn’t be so hard on near-empty streets.

His first impression of the cabin was warmth. A large living area with expansive windows, hardwood floors and a huge fireplace. The bed was a double and looked comfortable. The headboard faced a window that framed large pine trees. The bathroom was medium size with a large walk-in shower.

Grace suddenly realized she was staring at Landon. He was moody and silent.

“The television is satellite and has a lot of stations available. You have internet service too. There’s a path just to the left of the cabin that goes up the side of the mountain. There are some great views there,” Grace went on.

Landon had come to Middletown, hoping the mountain air would help him get his head on straight.

“The owner wants to sell too in case you’re interested. He’s an old man,” the realtor kept explaining.

Landon looked out through the pines to the lake. The sky was impossibly blue against the mountains, and a cool breeze was refreshing. The scent of pines and lavender perfumed the air. The vivid shades of green stood in stark contrast to the colorless rocks and sand of much of the Middle East.

Grace cocked her head. “Anything else you would like to know?”

Landon shook her head. “It’s far more than I expected for the price I can pay,” he explained in a lifeless voice. “I’ll take it.”

“Are you sure? I could show you other options...”Grace tried to steady her voice even as she was affected by the ethereal sadness in him.

“It’s not necessary. I like it here.” Landon took a deep breath.

“Then I’ll drive you back to town to sign the paperwork and give you the keys.”

Landon nodded, but there was no heart in it. He was glad Grace didn’t push him. He got frustrated easily when he wasn’t understood.

“Thank you.”

“Then I’ll drive you back with your luggage.”

Landon hesitated, and Grace sensed that he was reluctant to take any help. “I don’t have much,” he said. “Besides, Derek and Bella invited me to dinner. I’m sure he can drive me here when we’re done.”

Grace was lingering. She should have already taken him back to town, but somehow she found herself wanting to stay longer and get to know Landon better.

“Well, it’s official then, welcome to Middletown!” Grace chirped, walked over to Landon and hugged him. She felt him wince and realized it was a mistake.

“Sorry, we don’t really do the whole shake hands approach in this town.”

“Another reason to stay away,” Landon mumbled under his breath.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.