Peace of Mind - Cover

Peace of Mind

Copyright© 2021 by DB86

Chapter 26

The next morning, Landon picked up the phone and dialed his mother’s number.

“Hello, Mom,” he said.

“Landon, are you...”his mother’s voice was worried “are you okay?”

“I’m fine,” he said. “Everyone here is friendly, and I’m involved in a project. I just wanted you to know I’m doing fine. I’m ... happy.”

The moment he said the word, he knew it was true. He was happy. Excited. He still had black moments, the sudden, unexpected assaults of grief, but they were coming less often.

“Why did you tell Darla where I was? She showed up at my cabin out the blue asking for a second chance.”

“Well, I met with her at the store and asked her when she was getting married and she said the wedding was off. She and this doctor guy she had been dating had broken up. It seems he had been cheating on her all during their relationship. She told me she was sorry for how badly she has treated you and begged me to tell her where you were, so she could have a talk with you and ask for a second chance.”

“A second chance of what? Further destroying my life?”

“I’m sorry, Landon. I thought at least you two would get some closure. I take it the meeting didn’t go well.”

“It wasn’t that bad, she did apologize to me. In my condition, I’m not ready to date. I’m not sure if I ever will, but if I do, it wouldn’t be with her. Please, from now on, keep my personal information to yourself.”

“I will, baby. I am sorry. I really thought it would be good for you to talk with her. When are you coming home?”

“Not for a while. I’m doing better but I still have a long way to go.”

Grace parked her car in front of the cabin to take Landon and Scout to town.

“I have to go, Mom. I love you.”

“Love you too, baby.”

Grace smiled at Landon, opened up the back door and Scout hopped in, then Landon stepped in the front passenger seat.

Landon sat down and didn’t say a word. His conversation with Darla was still in his head.

“I talked with Marcus Carter,” Landon blurted out.

“Wait, you did what?! That’s amazing! How did you manage to get the old man to agree to see you?”

Landon shrugged. “I just dropped in at his house. I charged straight into the dragon’s lair. Before I knew what I was doing, I found myself in front of Marcus Carter himself.”

“Wow! Did you ask him about the journals?”

“No, I thought it would be better to wait a bit till he gets to know me better. He promised to call me to have a new meeting with him.”

Grace pumped the brake carefully, stopping the car.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.