Peace of Mind - Cover

Peace of Mind

Copyright© 2021 by DB86

Chapter 24

Landon woke up the next morning after a rare good night’s sleep. The sun streamed through the window. Scout burrowed next to him and raised his head the instant he stirred.

Landon scratched the dog’s ears. Why had he been so reluctant to own a dog?

He stretched out. Yesterday’s meeting with Marcus had been good. A huge success.

“Okay, Scout,” he said. “We should get moving. We have things to do today. First a shower,” he added, as Scout’s ears went up.

Landon was still surprised at the ease of his conversation with Marcus. After what had been hinted and said about him, he’d expected an ogre, but he had enjoyed his time with him, with his direct questions. He had suspected he was testing him, and somehow he had passed. In any event, he was looking forward to talking to him again.

He thought about writing out some questions for their second meeting but he decided against it immediately. He would have to wing it.

He padded to the kitchen to make coffee. It was still dawning outside, but in his mind, he was still raking through the events of the last day. He wrapped a blanket around himself and took the coffee to the porch. Mornings were cold, but he didn’t want to stay within four walls where he felt trapped.

His thoughts went back to Grace. He wondered if she would be still sleeping or making breakfast. If she was awake she was probably restless. She never seemed to stay still.

He went inside and helped himself to another cup of coffee. Scout looked hopefully at the front door. “Shower first,” Landon said, “then we’ll take a walk to town.” Scout’s tail wagged eagerly.

They walked past the community center. Not open yet. There was no one in the town square either. A few vehicles were driving through town. There were some cars and trucks parked in front of city hall.

Landon walked by Grace’s real estate office. The lights were off. He passed the church and stopped to read the historical marker in front: Founded by Fergus Carter, 1862.

He looked at the church. It was a pretty white building with a tall steeple and bell. The architecture was simple with clean lines. It did not look like 1862.

The doors were open and, on a whim, he decided to go inside. An older, nice-looking man approached him. He held out his hand. “I’m Reverend Joseph Sheppard, the pastor here. Welcome. What can I do for you?”

“Hello. I’m Landon Petersen. I’m staying in a cabin outside town.”

“Ah, yes. You are Derek’s army fellow. I’ve heard of you. We’ve been praying for your recovery.”

“Thank you, Reverend. I’m writing a short history of Middletown and I wondered if you had any story about Fergus Carter to share. I saw the marker outside,”

The Reverend smiled. “This building isn’t the one that he built. That one burned down in the forties. But this church was constructed on the same ground as the original, so we still claim him. I don’t know any story about Fergus Carter, but I know Marcus Carter has Fergus Carter’s Bible. I’ve been asking him to donate it to the church but he refuses so far. Maybe you could ask him to let you take a look at it.”

“Thank you,” Landon said making a mental note.

“You’re invited to the services, of course,” the Reverend said.

“Thank you, I am not much of a believer in organized religion.”

“No matter your religion, faith, or belief you should take the time to look within yourself and discover what you believe in friendship, love, loyalty, honesty, respect ... Those values shape the type of persons we are. Many of us spend a lot of time trying to understand what we believe, what we want, and who we are.”

Landon just nodded his head. He had not attended a church service for a long time, but he liked the Reverend.

“I’ll think about what you said, Reverend. Thank you for your time.”

Landon and Scout left the church. A couple walked past him. They were holding hands and leaning against each other.

Landon had never had young love. He’d been too different in high school, too busy in college, and too careful in the service. Fraternization was frowned upon, and he was all business. Then he met Darla and thought he had found his soulmate. They dated, they fell in love. Or so he thought. Landon couldn’t take Marcus Carter’s words out of his mind. Had she cheated on him while he was away? If Darla truly loved him, why didn’t she stick around and help him to get better like Grace and the rest were doing?

Scout bumped him and offered his paw. “You’re right, Scout,” he said. “There’s no use looking back. It’s time to look ahead.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.