Peace of Mind - Cover

Peace of Mind

Copyright© 2021 by DB86

Chapter 23

Landon took a deep breath before invading the dragon’s lair. Before leaving he stooped down next to Scout.

“You have to stay at the cabin,” he said. “I don’t know if the old man likes dogs or not. I’ll be back soon.”

He thought about Fergus Carter, the Scottish settler with a vision, while he walked to his descendant’s mansion’s door.

He was dressed in the best he had: the black pants that were a little big and a navy blue shirt. He had even run a comb through his hair.

He had thought long and hard which was the best way to approach Marcus. He decided not to mention the journals. He would just say he was writing a short history of Middletown and he was interested in his input.

When he finally arrived, he knocked at the fancy doors. An old man greeted him.

“Good afternoon. Is Mr. Carter in?”

“Sure is,” the old man said. “You must be the veteran living in one of Mr. Carter cabins.”

“Guilty as charged,” Landon said. “I’m Landon Petersen.”

“I’ll let his secretary know you’re here. Mr. Carter has been expecting you.”

“Thank you,” he said a bit confused. How come the old man was expecting him?

A middle-aged woman walked across the room. “Who are you?” she said. No smile this time.

A gatekeeper, Landon thought. He’d had experience with that certain breed.

“Mr. Petersen to see Mr. Carter,” he said.

“Do you have an appointment?”

“No, but I think he is expecting me.” As far as he knew he wasn’t lying.

“May I ask what is the purpose of your visit?” the woman looked as if she was sucking on a lemon.

“It’s a personal matter. I’m renting Mr. Carter’s cabin.”

“If there’s a problem with the cabin you should address it to the real estate agent Grace McAllister. She’ll handle any problem you might have.”

“There is no problem with the cabin. I already told you it’s a personal matter,” somehow Landon managed to find a bit of his old commanding voice.

The woman gave him a long stare, then picked up her phone.

“A Landon Petersen would like to see you about a personal matter.” Somehow she managed to make ‘personal matter’ sound as if she had said ‘shit’.

After a pause, she nodded at Landon. “Mr. Carter will receive you now. You can go in.”

Landon’s stomach churned. He had managed this far. He hadn’t allowed himself to think beyond each step. The first step was to walk to the mansion, the second to get inside. Then, manage to set a date to meet with the old man...

I can do it. He followed the woman to a solid wooden door. She opened it and invited him inside with a gesture of her hand.

Landon peered inside and saw a rather dignified, well-dressed, good-looking old man in his late sixties or early seventies sitting in a huge high-backed leather armchair.

“Landon Petersen, I presume.”

“That’s me. Nice to meet you, Mr. Carter. Thank you for receiving me,” he said extending his hand. The old man shook it.

“You’re living in my cabin down Fairwood Crest Road,” Despite his age, Marcus’ voice was deep and held an authoritative tone.

“Yes, Sir,” he said, reverting to military protocol.

“People in town say you’re a vet.”

“Yes, Sir. I am”

“Were you in combat?”

“Yes, Sir, I was.”

“Was?”

“I’m on medical leave. PTSD. I’m not sure about my future yet.” Somehow Landon sensed it wasn’t a good idea to lie to Marcus Carter.

“Why did you come to Middletown?”

It was direct and even a bit rude, but he’d expected that. He sensed that frankness was the best course with the old man. “My doctor recommended a program in Seattle. An army buddy lives here.”

“Derek Hayes,” Marcus stated. “No family?”

“Mother and two sisters. My father died when I was a kid.”

“Why aren’t you staying with them?”

“That wouldn’t work for me.”

Marcus studied him in silence. “Family can be a pain in the ass sometimes. What’s wrong?”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.