Peace of Mind - Cover

Peace of Mind

Copyright© 2021 by DB86

Chapter 22

“You look a thousand miles away,” Grace said to Landon. “Should I ask what you’re thinking about?”

“Fergus Carter,” he said. A half-truth.

When they reached the lookout, Landon glanced down at the town below. He wondered whether Fergus had viewed the valley below from this point. He was still an enigma to him.

Grace put the box on the picnic blanket. It was loaded with food. She took out two paper plates and cups.

“I didn’t know what kind of sandwich you like, so I got two ham and cheese and two roast beef. There’s lemonade in the flask.”

“I’ll take a roast beef one,” he said, “and lemonade sounds perfect.”

When Landon turned his gaze back to Grace, she was looking him in that special way that made him feel warm. Then guilt struck him like a sword. How could he even think of being with a woman in his condition? He could not put himself in the position of being rejected again. The food suddenly felt like cotton in his mouth and his throat closed.

No. No. No. Not now.

Scout whined next to him and put a paw on his knee. He fought the flashback. He willed himself to breathe until it came naturally again. Landon looked up and met Grace’s concerned expression. He took another deep breath. “I think I’m handling it,” he said.

He leaned down and put two hands on Scout’s head, just touching him.

“Do you need a hug?” she offered softly. Grace reached out and touched his hand. He was surprised at how comforting it felt. Human contact.

“Yes,” he said. “They always help.”

Grace wrapped her arms around Landon. She held him to her heart. Her voice cut through his flashback. “It’s okay, it’s not real. You can beat it.”

Grace rocked Landon back and forth with small, gentle movements. Finally, Landon started to relax.

“I’m fine.” He raised his head, giving Grace a small, tight smile. “I’m just a little disoriented and a lot embarrassed. I’m sorry,” he said softly, hands dangling between his knees.

“There’s nothing to be ashamed of.”

“Thank you for bringing me here,” he said. “But I’d rather go back to the cabin.”

“You’re very welcome,” Grace gathered up the remainders from lunch and packed them in the box.

Since it was still early, Landon asked Grace to drive him to the community center.

“Come on, Scout,” he said and walked up to meet Jonas. “Hello, Jonas.”

“Hello, Landon, Welcome back. How’s the research going?”

“I’m not sure,” he said. “I’ve reached a dead end about Middletown’s first years.”

He saw curiosity in Jonas’ eyes but he didn’t ask any questions.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.