Peace of Mind - Cover

Peace of Mind

Copyright© 2021 by DB86

Chapter 18

Grace left Landon at the community center. The door was unlocked, and he walked through the entrance to meet Jonas. They did some small talk and Landon went inside the room dedicated to the museum again. He was so immersed in the work he was doing that he skipped lunch again.

When he came out it was almost dark. Jonas greeted Landon carrying a large pan of chicken wings.

“Are you going to leave without meeting the crew, Landon? Come and join us,” a voice said behind his back.

Landon turned around to meet a group of men who were sitting around a round table.

“Landon, allow me to introduce you to our Thursday poker crew, John Harding, Judge Bill Anderson, who was kind enough to bring the beer tonight, and Mayor Simon Thompson,” Jonas said, making the introductions. Landon shook their hands.

“He likes to be called, Mr. Mayor,” Bill Anderson said with a laugh.

Snacks were already on the table, including several bottles of beer and great-looking dip and chips.

“Do you play poker, Landon?” asked the man who had been introduced as John Harding.

Landon nodded and sat around the table and he was given a bowl full of M&Ms candies.

“Playing poker for real money is illegal in our state, and we don’t want Judge Anderson to put us in jail,” John Harding explained. “So we play just for fun. Green candies are worth $25, the blue ones $50, the brown ones $100, the yellow $1000, and the red ones $5000.”

Landon asked, “Any rules?”

“Nope. Dealer picks the game. Ante up a green candy,” Simon said from his seat next to Landon. “Landon, as our newcomer, is the dealer.”

“Mexican stud,” he said.

“Ah ... could we have a ringer here?” the judge asked to no one in particular.

Landon won the first game. The players saluted him with their beers and the dealer changed.

Landon won the second game too.

Very soon it was obvious that Landon could play a mean poker game.

“Beginner’s luck Landon?” asked Bill Anderson after losing another hand against him.

“I used to play a lot in Afghanistan,” Landon replied. It didn’t hurt as much to say it now.

“Landon is a decorated vet. Purple heart,” explained Jonas. “He’s working in the museum and writing a short history of Middletown.”

Landon wondered how Jonas knew about the Purple Heart.

The mayor nodded. “Grace McAllister informed me about the job. I must say she’s really impressed with your work so far, Landon.”

“Thank you, Mr. Mayor.”

“Hey, I’m just Simon here.”

“So any progress contacting Marcus Carter?” Jonas asked Landon while he dealt cards.

“I haven’t tried it yet. I want to know more about Middletown’s history first,” Landon replied. “It will give me a better idea of what questions I have to ask him.”

“John, your son is leasing the restaurant building from Marcus. Maybe he could speak with old man Carter in Landon’s favor?” Jonas suggested.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.