Peace of Mind - Cover

Peace of Mind

Copyright© 2021 by DB86

Chapter 12

That evening, Grace greeted her brother, Steve and his wife Diana with a huge hug.

“You look happy,” Steve said to his sister.

“I am happy.”

“Well, that’s a refreshing change. You have been moody lately.”

Grace ignored her brother’s bait, and asked, “Remember the new resident of the cabin?”

“Yes, Derek’s friend, Landon?” Diana said.

“That’s him,” Grace said with a smile. “I like him.”

Steve laughed, “You like everyone.”

“There are a few exceptions,” Grace said squinting her eyes.

Her brother nodded. “Point taken.”

“What is he like?” Diana asked Grace.

“Quiet. Grieving. Jumpy.”

“Do you know what happened to him?” Steve asked.

“He was a soldier. He and Derek were army buddies. He has PTSD,” Grace explained hoping she wasn’t breaking any confidence. “Please, don’t tell anyone. He doesn’t need people looking at him as if he was a basket case. He asked me for something to do and I gave him a job.”

“Grace ... not another ‘lost puppy’, please,” Steve exclaimed pinching the bridge of his nose.

“He volunteered to write about Middletown’s history.”

“Volunteered?” Steve shook his head with a smile.

Grace shrugged innocently. “He wanted to do something to pay for the cabin. He’s short of money. We need a history of Middletown ready for Founder’s Day. It seemed ... fortuitous, don’t you think?”

Steve rolled his eyes. “You can’t fool me, Sis. I can see your fingerprints all over this.”

Grace smiled. “So what? He seems lost, Steve. Really lost. He could use a friend.”

Steve smiled at his sister. “What I said, lost puppy. I love you, Sis, you and that huge heart of yours.”

“Me, too,” Diana piped, squeezing her sister-in-law hand.

“Thank you, guys, you know how to make a woman feel better.”

“Just be careful, Sis. Men, particularly ones with sad stories, are your weak point,” Steve pointed out. “I don’t want to see you heartbroken again.”

Grace couldn’t take her mind off Landon. He looked so fragile and yet he had the strength to plunge through whatever pain he had. He’d traveled to a strange town with a determination to reclaim his life.

He shouldn’t be alone in this fight. He wouldn’t be alone.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.