Dark Energy - Cover

Dark Energy

Copyright© 2021 by Fick Suck

Chapter 33

“Why did I let him go chasing skirts?” Eitan asked as he paced the deck. Two hours had passed, and Reggie was nowhere to be seen. “First we are too paranoid to drive in a straight line and suddenly we turn into a familiar venue only to throw all caution out the window. I’m as big an idiot as he is.”

“Do you always talk to yourself,” Bea asked as she stood on the dock. “You look a bit foolish waving your arms around like you’re signaling a plane to land.”

“Uh, ladies,” Eitan said, looking down at the three sisters. They tasted delicious. “Really? All three of you?”

“Permission to come aboard, captain,” Leslie said with smirk.

“I’m not the captain and he is AWOL,” Eitan said. “He was due back an hour ago. Come aboard and pillage all you want. When the captain does return, there will be a mutiny in which you all agree to participate by coming aboard now.”

He leaned forward to examine the three sisters. He had invited Bea who had confirmed that she was coming. Leslie was a welcome treat, which meant that Akemi was coming back full throttle. However, Danielle was a puzzle. As the youngest sister, she had vacillated between being the moody daughter held in thrall and the parents’ favorite pet. She hated his guts, acting downright nasty the last times Eitan had been in her presence. Why would she want to share the close confines of a yacht with him?

“We have groceries in the car,” Bea said. “Unlike your lame captain and you, we want appropriate fare. Beanie-weenies and beer aren’t going to cut it. Get your butt down here and help us.”

“Ah, commodore,” Eitan said, “I did not recognize you. The sun must have been in my eyes.”

“Yeah, the sun half-baked your brain, Romeo,” Leslie said. “Less banter and more hustle.”

Eitan followed the women to the parking lot. As he began to unload the filled trunk, a car behind him honked. Eitan dropped the bag when he realized that his brother was leering out the passenger window.

“You came!” Eitan yelled as he grabbed his brother through the window. “You came. You brought Tanisha,” he said in barely contained shout.

“Damn, your dance card is filling up,” Bea said, coming up behind him. “Is this your brother in the flesh?”

Eitan introduced all of them, before remembering to let Tanisha find a parking space. Bea shoved two bags in his arms and ordered him to march. Three trips later, the trunk was empty, and five people joined him on the boat. Everyone began talking at once except for Danielle, who took a seat, crossing her arms with a sour look on her face.

Eitan could not contain his curiosity any longer. He took a seat next to Danielle, sinking into the cushion. “What gives? Why are you here?”

“Checking out the breeding cows,” Daniella said. “You are expecting them to produce your bastards, aren’t you?”

Eitan uncurled himself and sat up straight. “Just how ignorant are you?” he asked before shaking his hand at her in denial. “Just rhetorical; don’t bother to answer. If your sisters want you here, there must be a good reason. If I may offer a piece of advice, keep your peace, and open your ears. You may learn something.”

Looking up from her pinched face, Eitan watched two more people step onto the dock. “Yess,” he hissed as he pumped his fist. Arjun was following his sister, who kept pulling his arm as she urged him to walk faster. His trademark red sneakers were just as bright from a distance.

“I have more friends coming,” Eitan said to Daniella as he stood up. He paused. “Do yourself a favor and leave your parents at home where they belong. Stay with us for a while.” He waved to the two as came towards the gangway.

Practically leaping onto the dock, he gave Kavita a great hug. Unable to stop, he opened his arm and dragged Arjun into the embrace as well. “Krishna save us,” Arjun muttered when Eitan finally let go.

“The only way father would let me come is if Arjun chaperoned me,” Kavita said. “They are worried about me and the things that are happening. The world is not safe.”

“No apologies,” Eitan said. “If I had known, I would have invited Arjun anyway. I thought, I mean I assumed, everyone in your family but you would never speak to me again after the raid on your hotel.”

“Silly,” Kavita said. “Even Auntie likes you now. We told her you sent an ICE raid and she tried to point out every Muslim within a twenty-mile radius. She drove them crazy. When the government people left, she told us how happy she was that you convinced Arjun to ‘stand like a man and accept his family duty.’”

“Strange how things work out,” Eitan said. “Arjun and I never had that conversation.” Reggie pinged on his radar, peppery. “Look, our long-lost captain approaches and he does not appear happy.”

“Screw you and the horse you rode in on,” Reggie said. “I had to buy two green slushies of kale puke and I’m ready to barf mine.” He turned to the far side and did just that. He wiped his face on his arm and smiled, “I feel so much better. Hi Kavita.”

“Hi yourself,” Kavita said. “Still chasing trash?”

Reggie held up his arms. “I’m done. I’ve learned my last lesson on this subject. I’ll even go to Mass and swear before the Virgin Mary.” He turned to Arjun. “Who are you?”

“This is Kavita’s brother, Arjun,” Eitan said. “He’s your new wingman.”

“I am not going to Mass with him,” Arjun said. “It’s not even my religion.”

“Not mine either, really,” Reggie said. “You drove your sister down?” As Arjun answered, the two men walked across the gangway onto the yacht. Reggie waved at everyone onboard as the two men continued to talk.

“Who’s missing?” Kavita asked.

“Akemi,” Eitan said. “I’m nervous.”

“About us?”

Eitan took her into her arms and gave her a solid kiss, putting as much tenderness and excitement into it as he could. When her tongue finally released his, he leaned back to look her in the eyes. “I’m nervous about all of us, the dynamics, the trysts, the jealousies, and the futures. I remember this moment when I was sitting on Mr. Branston’s ratty couch at Child Welfare Services, waiting to hear my fate. I was terrified of what came next, utterly petrified. The ratty couch is gone but the fear of my fate being decided is exploding again.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.