Racing Home - Cover

Racing Home

Copyright© 2021 by MichaelT65

Chapter 8

My first Christmas away from home, and I will be spending it with Jason. The last person I wanted to be during holidays. It was the least I could do for Tim and Barbara after what they’ve done for me. If it wasn’t for them, where would I be today? With their help, I have a roof under my head and some money saved up.

For most of the day, Jason and I avoided each other. The only time I saw him was in the evening. I was pre-heating some lasagne in the microwave when Jason walked into the kitchen.

“Hey, buddy, you want me to put a piece of lasagne in the microwave for you as well,” I said, trying to break the ice between us.

He walked past me, heading straight for the fridge. “First, I’m not your buddy, and second, if I want to make something to eat, I’ll make it myself.”

I lifted both my hands, making a surrender gesture. That’s when the microwave bell dinged; reminding me my food was ready. I casually walked out of the kitchen towards my bedroom with a plate of steaming hot lasagne in one hand and a can of soft drink in the other.

After nine, when I knew Frank would be at the pub. I called mum on Facetime to wish her a Merry Christmas and spend some time with her since I knew she was alone. I promised her that I would try and make it for the New Year. She declared that she would try her best to come to Birmingham, as she had something significant to tell me. I asked her to say it to me, but she insisted that she said it when she came to Birmingham. I said goodnight to her, kissed the tips of my three middle fingers then touched the screen.

She did the same, and then the screen went blank.

Lying on my bed, I wondered what was so important that mum had to tell me in person. Is it about Frank and her? Is she going to ask him to leave? Maybe he’s abusing her again? Reaching over to the side cabinet, I switched off the bedside lamp. The room went into darkness; only a tiny amount of light lit up the room. It came from the window. I looked out at the moon as the thin film of clouds drifted in front of it, making a thin layer of fog. My eyes moistened, making everything blurry as tears rolled down my cheeks. I closed my eye, going into obscurity.

The floodlights to the backyard came on, bringing me out of my light sleep. I was in a dream that I didn’t want to end. I smiled as my father disappeared into a cloud; his voice faded away. “Everything is going to be ok, Michael,” he whispered. Coming back to reality, I jumped out of bed. When I looked out of the window, I sighed when I saw who it was.

It was Jason’s movement that caused the lights to come on. He was standing outside, his smartphone glued to his ear. Through the double-glazed window, I couldn’t hear what was said. I went downstairs to encounter him. The back door to the yard was closed. With my hand, I gave it a firm shove to see if it was locked.

There was sudden crashing noise, which came from the storeroom. “What the fuck, man!” Jason yelled.

“What’s going on, Jason!” He was standing there at the entrance of the room, trying to dial a number on his smartphone

“It’s none of your business. You can’t help me. No one can help me!” Jason spat his words into my face. Pushing me out of the way, he rushed upstairs.

I followed him. Stopping outside his bedroom door, a few seconds after he slammed it closed, leaving me in the passage and him inside his room. I lifted my hand to knock on the door, but I forced it back down. ‘I’ll speak to him in the morning; maybe he’ll have a change of heart on Christmas Day.’ Glancing at my watch, it was after midnight. It was Christmas Day. I went back to my room, getting ready for bed.

I was tossing and turning all night regarding what mum wanted to tell me? Eventually, I fell asleep at three in the morning, only to wake up a few hours later. It was six, two hours before sunrise. I grabbed my Macbook and watched an episode of a new mini-series until seven. What a great way to spend Christmas day. I decided to do some morning workouts. With my face inches away from the carpet while doing my press-ups. A flood of light came through the window, caused by the activation of the floodlights.

“What the fuck now, Jason?” I yelled. “God help you if that is you and not a fox.

When I looked out of the window, it wasn’t a fox that triggered the floodlights to come on. It was Shark with eight of his henchmen. They stood in a horizontal line, facing the back door to the cafe. The Shark stood between his crew, half of them on the left and the others on the side. Opposite them, facing them, was Jason. He had in his hand a piece of wood, which seemed like a cricket bat.

I grabbed my jeans, quickly putting them on. I rushed down the stairs, leaping out into the backyard. Shark was approaching Jason with his favourite toy in his hand. His switchblade. He stopped when he saw me. I stopped between the two of them. My left hand was raised in front of Shark, my fingers inches away from the blade. On my other hand, I stopped Jason from lifting the bat by grabbing his wrist. I held his hand down.

“What’s going on here?” I yelled.

“Jason owes us money. £1000,” Shark yelled back. His men were backing him up.

“I borrowed only £500,” Jason screamed.

The loud sound of police sirens, followed by two police cars entering the backyard, made everyone turn around. Half-dozen police officers leapt out of the vehicles. That many came through the yard entrance as well. Sharks men started running in different directions like bees do when you disturb their beehive. I pushed Jason into the back entrance of the cafe. He disappeared into the darkness. I grabbed the Sharks arm, tightening my grip as much as I could. He dropped the switchblade; I caught it with my other hand. I forced him as well into the cafe. We both went headfirst through the entrance. I kicked the door to close. The emergency handle came up, the door locked.

Shark struggled to free himself. I held him down. “If you carry on, they will hear us,” I whispered in his ear. He relaxed.

I got off him, pushing myself towards the wall opposite. He sat up. We both sat on the cold concrete floor with our legs spread out. Jason was further down the corridor, seated on the ground as well. The three of us stared at the emergency door. We were waiting to see if someone would start banging on it. We could hear the uproar outside. The police searched the area, made some arrests as well. I kept on looking over at Shark. Just in case he tried anything. He was alert too. The difference was, I had the upper hand. I had his switchblade.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.