Racing Home - Cover

Racing Home

Copyright© 2021 by MichaelT65

Chapter 4

I woke up the following morning with a stiff neck, and every bone in my body was aching. After some stretching and other morning exercises, I felt much better. That’s when I realised why the beds have a one-inch mattress, or should I say the slab of metal. It’s to make criminals think twice about committing a crime again.

Once I washed up and had a strong cup of coffee and some breakfast, I was ready to go. Officer Smith came to my cell to escort me upstairs to the Sargent Wrights office. By ten o’clock, I was sitting opposite the Sargent. He was sitting behind the desk, tapping away at the keyboard. At first, I didn’t recognise him. He wasn’t in uniform; He wore a polo shirt and a pair of jeans. The outfit made him look ten years younger.

I coughed to get his attention.

He carried on typing, his eyes focused on the monitor. “Don’t worry, I know you are there, Michael,” he said. When he finished, he clapped his hands and rubbed them together. “Now that I’ve finished your report, we can go.”

His office overlooked the station’s small public car park. I was hoping to see my mother’s Mini Copper parked in one of the spaces. “Sargent Wright, I was expecting my mother. I thought she would come to pick me up.”

“I spoke to your mother last night. I told her that I would give you a lift home so that you can get your things.” He walked up to me and put his hand on my shoulder. “I also made it clear to Frank not to be there until late in the evening so that you can spend some time with your mother.”

“You’re off duty. Why are you doing this for me?” I asked.

“Don’t ask too many questions. Let’s say you remind me of someone close to me.” He looked at me for a moment before speaking again. “Come on, son. Let’s go.”

I sat in silence on the drive home, my home until the end of the day. I leaned my head on the window. My eyes focused on the buildings as we went past them. The streets I had walked, most of my teen life. Will I ever see these roads again?

Sargent Wright broke the silence. “Do you have any idea where you’re going to go, Michael?”

Without moving my head of the window, I shrugged my shoulders.

He didn’t say anything else until he parked the car outside my house. “Someone has come to see you before you go.”

It was Nick. He was leaning on the front wing of the Beamer. I didn’t get a chance to climb out of the car; Nick rushed towards me. Mom did the same. She must have been looking out of the window to see when I would arrive. Nick stepped aside, letting mum approach me first. Mom fell into my embrace. She continuously apologised for what had happened. I held her as she cried on my shoulder for a few minutes. Once she calmed down and let me go. I greeted Nick with an embrace too.

Putting his arm over my shoulder, Nick said, “Mike, you can stay around my house as long as you like. I’ve spoken to my parents, and you are welcome to stay in the spare room.”

I could tell he said it from his heart. My eyes became moist. I shook my head slowly. “How much I would love to stay, I can’t. I need to get out of London for some time.”

We all walked to the house. I held mom by the hand as we entered the house. By the staircase sat a brand new duffel bag, stretching at the seams. I stared at it for a moment. I guess all my clothes were in there.

Mom started crying again. “I should have let you pack your clothes. I’m sorry, Michael.”

I put my finger on her lip. “Stop it! It’s not your fault. You are not to blame for any of this. I don’t know how long it will be until I see you again. I don’t want any more crying today.” I looked towards the kitchen while I inhaled the aroma. “What is that lovely smell coming from the kitchen? What are you cooking, mum?”

A smile appeared on her face.

Nick stayed until midday. He was sorry that our plans didn’t work out as we expected. I told him that I would keep in touch with him to keep me updated with his progress with the car and university. He was surprised when I told him that I would be skipping a year or two from my studies. Mum was shocked when I mentioned that I would take a break from university, but I reassured her that I would continue my studies shortly.

Nick got ready to go, as he needed to help his father with some DIY at home. We embraced each other tightly before he made his way to his car.

As Nick got into the car, I called out, “Look after the Beamer!”

With a smile on his face, he shouted, “You mean our Beamer!” He started the engine. It fired up with a roar. I watched our BMW disappear down the road, the sound of the engine fading away.

“I will be back at six this evening to take you to Tottenham Hale Station,” Sargent Wright said. With the keys in his hands, he began to make his way to his car.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.