Racing Home - Cover

Racing Home

Copyright© 2021 by MichaelT65

Chapter 14

I overslept, waking up at ten the next day. After a quick shower, I headed for the restaurant, hoping it was still open for some breakfast. When I got there, the staff had already removed most of the items from the buffet.

The restaurant manager approached me. “The restaurant is closed, sir, but we can make an exception for one person. Do you have any preference on what you would like to have for breakfast?”

“Whatever is available,” I responded.

He called one of the waitresses, “Jade, can you seat the gentleman at one of our window tables, please.” Jade was not too happy with the order her manager just gave her.

The breakfast was delicious. Tony, the restaurant manager, arranged a full English breakfast. The service I received from Jade, the waitress, wasn’t something to write home about. Every time I looked at her, I would receive a look of daggers in return. I couldn’t help it. Her beauty inspired me.

Once I had finished my breakfast and got up to go, I needed to say something to her. “You would look more beautiful if you smiled at the guests. You might even earn some tips.”

“Are you hitting on me?” was her reply.

“If you don’t enjoy your job, I’m sure there’s something out there that is for you.” I attacked back. She stood there with her mouth gaped open. I hurriedly left before she had the chance to say something that would get her in trouble with her manager.

When I went to pay for my breakfast at the Front Desk, the receptionist told me that it was complimentary from the Night Manager, Duke. I thanked the young lady, then check-out.

I took a drive around Brentwood. I wanted to see and examine the place my mother grew up. The truth is I was stalling from meeting my grandparents. Once I found the towns small shopping area, I parked the Golf in the local car park. I strolled down the high street, eventually taking a break at a corner coffee shop. The interior of the place had the sixties look to it. The shop fittings looked original from those times, but the furniture was modern with a sixties design. I sneaked a few shots with my smartphone, sending them to Tim. He responded at once with a message, ‘That’s an idea. Maybe I’ll give the shop a facelift.’ I returned a massive emoji thumbs up; I smiled to myself.

After ordering a double Americano, I sat by one of the windows to enjoy my beverage as I watched the people going up and down. Most of them seemed to know each other as they greeted one another. Brentwood seemed a small and close community, unlike London and Birmingham, where no one knew each other. Whatever couple I saw, which looked over sixty, I wondered if they were my grandparents. I finished the last of my coffee, which gave me that bitter taste of its strong scent. A few seconds later, my adrenaline kicked in, giving me the strength to go and meet my grandparents.

A quarter of an hour later, I found myself parked outside my grandparent’s bungalow. It was a well-maintained building with various plants in the front garden, neatly planted in rows. I sat in the car, staring at the property for God knows how long. When I decided to get out of the car and make my way to the front door, it seemed like I was taking one step forward and two steps back. Getting there eventually, I rang the doorbell twice with no response. I turned to leave and then decided to knock on the door. I banged on the door with my fist this time, being careful not to hit the frosted glass. Someone was inside. I could see the shape of someones frame coming towards the door.

“Just a minute, I’m coming.” It was a female voice which I recognised, but from where I couldn’t picture it.

When the door opened, I took a step back. This time it was me standing there with my mouth gaping open. Jade stood there in front of me with her arms crossed across her chest. “I’m look ... looking for Mr and Mrs Por ... Porter,” I stuttered.

“Are you stalking me?” she responded. “You better go before I call the police!” she yelled.

Composing myself, I raised both my hands in a surrender gesture. “I’m just looking for Mr and Mrs Porter. I’ve probably got the wrong address. I’m sorry for disturbing you.” Turning, I started to leave.

“Wait,” she called. This time she wasn’t so aggressive. “You have the right address.”

When I turned to face her, I’m sure I saw a glimmer of a smile. “Are they in?”

“No.”

“Have they gone out? Will they be back soon?” I asked, waiting for an answer.

“Yes, they’ll be back in about four weeks from today,” she said with a smirk on her face. “With your help this morning, I couldn’t take them to the airport because some people don’t go by the hotel rules.” she was on a roll again.

I let her finish before I made my surrender gesture again. “I’m sorry about that.” I stood there looking down at my feet, thinking of what to say. “I guess they’ve gone on holiday?”

“You ask too many questions. If you’ve finished, I have things to do. Why do you want to see them? Do you want to leave them a message?” She was ready to close the door in my face.

I stared at her for a moment. I wanted to scream at her and say, ‘They’re my grandparents. That is why I want to fucking see them.’ Instead, I said, “I had a small car collision with Mr Porter. I just wanted to see if they are ok. I’ll see them when they come back.” What’s wrong with a little white lie? I wasn’t about to tell a stranger they were my grandparents. I turned and made my way back to the car. I heard the front door slam behind me.

I headed back to the hotel and booked for another two nights. Once I was in my room, I fired up my laptop, connecting to Facetime. Mum answered after a few rings. She asked me if I was in Brentwood, to which I responded with a nod.

“My friend, Janet, called me late last night and told me that your grandparents have gone for a month to Spain.” Mum was quiet for a moment before she carried on. “I would tell you to come home until they get back, but you know the situation here, son.”

“Don’t worry about it, mum. I’ll call Tim tomorrow; maybe they need some help at the cafe. Then I could come back in a month.

“Why don’t you sleep on it and decide what you’re going to do in the morning,” mum advised me.

I agreed with her. Since Frank was at work, it gave mum and me some time to have a chat. When she heard the front door open, she quickly said goodbye, blowing a kiss to me before cutting the connection.

Stretched out on the bed, I lay there, staring at the ceiling, my mind out in space. With a smile on my face, I thought it wouldn’t be long for a month to go by until my grandparents got back from their holidays. Simultaneously, Jade took over my thoughts with her beauty as I wondered how she knew my grandparents.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.