Racing Home - Cover

Racing Home

Copyright© 2021 by MichaelT65

Chapter 13

All the vehicles proceeded at a steady speed on the M6. I was hoping to get to Essex before nine. My timing changed once I got onto the M25. All the cars came to a halt for some reason. After some time, drivers got out of their vehicles to stretch their legs. Some even stood on the foot panel of their cars to get a better view into the distance. You could see hundreds of rear brake lights shining in the distance as they disappeared into the horizon. It took over an hour for the vehicles to start moving again at a moderate pace. A mile farther along the highway, the cause of the problem emerged. On the hard shoulder sat a Mini Copper, its front end crumbled, with parts of its lights and front grill littering lane one, which was closed by the police. The vehicle the mini collided with was a Jaguar that had minimum damage to its rear bumper. Two police officers were interviewing the drivers of the cars.

As soon as all the motorists went past the accident site, the cars began to move again. Everyone gradually picked up speed. The smart motorway’s alert signs showed a maximum speed of sixty miles per hour instead of seventy. I was doing the top speed I was allowed continually, and before I knew it, the sign for Enfield Town came up. The area I grew up was only a few minutes away. Essex, which was my destination, was another forty-five minutes’ drive. I decided to go to Enfield before going to Essex. I indicated to get off the motorway, quickly manoeuvring the car onto lane one to exit.

By nine-thirty, I was parked outside my mother’s house. It was a still Sunday evening, not a soul in sight. The lights were on in the living room; they shone through the pastel green curtains that mum loved. I sat there until ten, just watching the house, wondering what mum was doing—probably watching one of her shows on TV.

How much I wanted to call mum, but I didn’t want to cause her any problems with Frank or get myself into trouble with the police. I dialled the next person who was close to me, Nick. When I told him where I was, he insisted we meet up. Ten minutes later, I was ringing his doorbell. I could hear footsteps inside, someone rushing to the front door.

When the door opened, Nick greeted me with a smile. “Hey, buddy, it’s great to see you again.” He embraced me with a bear hug, which I returned. When he released me, he cheerfully said, “I want you to meet someone.”

As we made our way to the living room. Nick kept on talking, not giving me a chance to speak. As we entered the room, Nick’s parents were seated on a double sofa. On the other three-seater couch sat a young lady. Instantly his parents got up to greet me. His dad with a firm handshake and his mum with a hug.

“This is Emma, Mike,” Nick said with enthusiasm.

She got up, with her hand stretched out for a hand gesture. Once we finished with the introductions, we all sat down.

Nicks’ dad grabbed the TV remote control; he muted the volume on the device. “So, tell us what you’ve been up to, Michael?” he said.

His mum got up, “Hold that thought, Michael,” she said as I was about to speak. “Let me make some hot beverages first. Remind me again; it’s one teaspoon of coffee and one teaspoon of sugar with a little milk?. Right.”

“Yes.” I quickly replied.

Until his mum came back with the drinks, Nick gave me a more in-depth analysis of how he met Emma at the annual Christmas party held at the University Forum. Emma was a little embarrassed, being the main subject of the conversation. Nicks dad noticed this and tried to show Nick some facial gestures to slow down a little, but my friend didn’t get the hint. I guess he was excited to show off his girlfriend. I don’t blame him as Emma was a beautiful young lady. In the end, Nicks mum saved Emma when she came with our drinks.

It was my turn to be the main attraction. I told them about Birmingham and what I was doing when I was there. I left out the part with Jason and the casino adventure I had. Once I finished, Nick’s mum and dad attacked me verbally about my studies. “What about your studies, Michael,” Nicks dad said. They both got off my case when I told them I had applied for next year and was accepted.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.