Stargazer - Book 1 - Into the Stars - Cover

Stargazer - Book 1 - Into the Stars

Copyright© 2021 by James Howlette

Chapter 32

It took a few days to iron out the details, but we thought we had a plausible plan. It would, of course change, the second we came in contact with the ship or ships sent to ‘rescue’ Beth, but we were confident of our chances for success. We prepared one of the escape pods for the Assent for the mission; it would have the necessary supplies to keep her safe. Typically for the older Mac’skarian vessels, the pod would have enough air and supplies for a week, but we upgraded it enough to double the air and we had more rations prepared.

Er’tanik reported that he had installed the new prototype cloak in the Obsidian and planned to run tests on the effects the cloak had on her systems as well as the detectability of the cloak. Ev asked to be on the scout ship during the tests, so she could make any adjustments needed on the fly. Er’tanik was happy to have her help and I could tell both were excited to get the cloak fully ready. Once we knew how it would affect a smaller, faster ship, we could make the adjustments necessary to cloak our larger vessels.

If the cloak proved useful and ready for a full field test, we would use it to have a ship close by to keep an eye on Beth and ready to transmit when a ship arrived, We still planned to have the Assent hiding behind one of the planetoids. It would be running on minimal power to limit its power signature and we would use the cloaked platforms as sensor relays to allow us to know what was happening. The White Claw would leave as soon as the platforms were ready. They would plan the proper position for the pod drop where they could see how the gravitational forces of the planets would affect the pod and platforms.

Once the position was chosen, the platforms would be launched from the Claw, using maneuvering thrusters to align themselves before activating their cloak. Their positions would allow for a wide net in case a squadron showed up. We were hesitant about involving the Claw, as she would be slightly harder to hide due to the power output of other cores, even when at minimal power.

The real issue would be to have to do with the crew. They would be following orders, and some might embrace my authority, while others may react as Rihs’tal had. Depending on the size of the ship, there could be a dozen to a few hundred Mac’skarians to have to relocate somewhere. We figured we could place them on a planet near a typical transit area for them. They could trigger the communicator to get picked up and then our conscience would be clear. Beth suggested a recording could be played prior to the AI units being activated, so they can learn what I am and how I have the ability to take control of their ships. It could sway more to our cause, though I thought the possibility of that would be highly unlikely.

They also suggested using a different kind of cloaking technology that they were able to create. It would work much like the stealth tech that the scout ships were originally given. They had tried in the past to use it with their larger vessels, but the power levels were always too high and could be picked up. This new system would utilize aspects of the cloaking device to mask the location of a larger ship, such as the White Claw or the Assent for a period of time. We waited a few more days, until Er’tanik and Ev were certain all the kinks were dealt with, but we knew that only a field test would confirm that all issues were resolved. Hopefully, between the new stealth system and using a planet to mask ourselves further, we would get the drop on them.

With our plans in place, we relayed our plans to the council and had the Claw crew set up for departure. While Vish wasn’t happy to not be with us, she would be in command of the White Claw. I needed someone who knew how I thought in command, to ensure that everything went as we planned. Ev would be on the Assent with me, monitoring the stealth systems and cloaks. Hopefully, they will not need to stay and help us, but there would be no way to know.

“I don’t like leaving you two there like that!” Vish said angrily. “If things don’t work as we hope, then you will be without the White Claw or me to help you!”

I pulled her into my arms and said, “I know that, love, but this is the best way to carry out our plan and you know this. I don’t like it either, but the new systems aren’t tested, and it is easier to hide the Assent than the power readings of the White Claw. You know we ran tests to see just how low we needed to take our systems and the only way the Claw could run would be with a crew of six on the bridge. Without a full crew, Hobbs could be overwhelmed if things turned badly. Even AI units are limited in how much they could do at once, otherwise we wouldn’t need to have crews at all.”

She huffed and said, “I know, but I don’t have to like it. I swear to the gods, that if something happens to you, I will kill you!”

We all laughed lightly at that, but the tension of the mood was still there. We broke our embrace and Ev quickly rushed over to hug Vish and gave her a passionate kiss. In any other circumstance I would have found it hot, and it would have led to lovemaking, but it just reminded me of the seriousness of what we were attempting. With our affections exchanged, we left our quarters and headed for our respective ships. As we neared the divide that led to the two ships, we exchanged a glance and then turned to enter our ships.

Once in the Assent, Ev headed to the engineering deck, and I made for the bridge. I took the same seat I had the last time that I had been on the ship, seeing a small smile on Hertal’s face.

“Tigra, what is the status of the Assent?” He asked, causing the familiar shimmer of the AI appearing next to him on the bridge.

Tigra gave a small bow and said, “Ship’s systems are at full efficiency and ready at your command. The stealth systems have been installed without issue and will be ready for the mission upon arrival. I have received confirmation from the White Claw that they are ready to embark when we are ready.”

“What of Il’bet’atal Brak’lita?” Hertal asked. “Has she checked in yet from her quarters?”

“Not yet, sir,” Tigra replied. “I was told by Alta that she was on her way and should be entering the ship in the next few moments.”

Surprised by that, I asked, “Did Alta say as to why Il’bet’atal was running late or is she going to tell us when she arrives?”

Alta shimmered into view and said, “She has not given any instructions to withhold any information from you. She was visiting Rihs’tal in the brig, trying in vain to convince her to join our cause instead of the one she had been raised in. As you can expect, it didn’t go very well. I have left a recording of the interaction on your computer interface within your quarters.”

I smiled at her and said, “Thank you as always, Alta. Was there any sign of subterfuge, or some sort of other language being used while they spoke?”

Alta looked at me slightly perplexed and I watched her eyes flash for a moment before she responded with, “I could not detect any means of signaling or bizarre use of phrases given my first cursory look. I will perform an in-depth scan of the entire footage to make sure that I didn’t miss anything and if you are able to pick up on something that I am not, please let me know when you are able to.”

“Not a problem, Alta, I will let you know if I see anything, but I highly doubt I would pick up on something you couldn’t,” I replied causing the AI to smile before leaving in a flash of light.

A few moments later, Tigra confirmed that Il’bet’atal had arrived on the board and was now in her quarters. Ev planned to have Il’bet’atal shadow her during the mission until it was time to launch the pod. Hertal gave the signal that we were ready and both ships began their departure from the space dock. A few minutes later, we were approaching the Hyperspace entry point and I took my leave of the bridge. I headed down to my quarters and sat at my interface, queuing up the video feed that Alta had sent me. I activated the video and sat back to watch.

Il’bet’atal walked into frame, approaching the cell holding Rihs’tal, who noticed her and glared.

“Well if it isn’t my long-lost partner,” Rihs’tal spat as she rose from her bunk. “If you are here that means only one thing. You are a traitorous bitch!”

Il’bet’atal shook her head, “I see you haven’t changed much since we parted ways. Still as agreeable as ever.”

“Save your words,” growled Rihs’tal as she rushed towards the field that was holding her in the cell. “How could you do that to me, to the council, to our people! He isn’t even Mac’skarian, Il’bet’atal!”

“So what if he isn’t?” Il’bet’atal yelled back. “What has the council really done for us? What have they done for our people? We have gained nothing since the fall. Hell, we have even lost more since then. The council are taking what they can of everything and only sharing the scraps. I saw this firsthand before I was chosen and still witnessed it while we were being trained. The greed was apparent in all levels of our so-called government. Groups fighting for whatever power they could get their hands on, no matter who got stepped on.”

“It’s our way,” Rihs’tal yelled, banging her hand on the field. “This is how it has always been Il’bet’atal!”

Il’bet’atal shook her head, “No, it hasn’t, Rihs’tal. I saw a completely different life on the world I was assigned to live on. They were helping one another to a common goal and cooperated with other races that did visit to trade. Also, unlike you, before we left for our assignment, I actually tried to learn, and the council wasn’t able to hide every avenue to our history. We were a far more peaceful people when the fall came than we are now. Those who picked up the pieces of our people in the core worlds were the ones that betrayed our people, all for a slice of power.”

Rihs’tal shook her head vehemently and cried, “You’re lying! I don’t believe you and when I get out of here, I will make you all pay!”

Il’bet’atal shook her head in disappointment and said, “Alta, please recite the information that I have given you that I smuggled away as well as your own record from before the fall. Keep it on repeat until we get back and maybe something will make it through her thick skull.”

I watched Il’bet’atal turn and walk out of frame while Rihs’tal banged her fists against the field. I heard Alta begin reciting what I would have assumed were the files Il’bet’atal spoke of as the video cut out. I sat back and rubbed the back of my head. I was surprised at what she had said, because she hadn’t mentioned the files to us before we left. I wasn’t shocked that she stood up for me or her choice, so I figured I would talk to her about it. I found Il’bet’atal talking to Ev near the status display for the Luminal Drive. Ev was explaining how to read the displays and what they all meant. I caught Ev’s eyes first and she stopped talking to smile. The abrupt stop of the conversation caused Beth to turn to look at me with a smile of her own.

“What are you doing here?” Ev asked as she walked over to me, followed by Beth.

“I just finished looking over the security footage that Alta sent me,” I explained as I glanced at Beth. “That was quite a thing you did to Rihs’tal. Do you think that it will actually work?”

Ev looked at me confused, until Il’bet’atal said, “Not really, but I figured it was worth a shot. If not, I get to annoy the hell out of her until we get back. She has always been a sanctimonious bitch and I guess I wanted to give her a taste of her own medicine.”

I quickly explained the circumstances of the video and Ev laughed at the misfortune that was befalling our captive.

“What were these files you were able to procure?” I asked. “Is there anything that would be of use to us?”

Beth shook her head, “It just was details of some of the more peaceful parts within our history. I can make sure that you get the files from Alta when we get back, if you like?”

“I would like that,” I replied. “It would be nice to see files that could have come from the core worlds that detailed the history of the Mac’skarians that I might not have already seen. For now we need to focus on the job at hand.”

They both nodded in agreement, and I left Ev to continue her instruction of Beth, while I went to check the status of the pod. It looked fine and I knew it wasn’t necessary to check as I was doing, but I really didn’t want any issues to arise. It was going to take three days in hyperspace to arrive at the system we had picked for our trap. I just needed to keep myself busy while I waited for our arrival. I checked in with Vish during our trip. She was proud of the work our crew was doing and was confident that the platforms would work. Vish still wasn’t happy that we weren’t there with her, but she knew it was only for a little while.

The trip was uneventful, and I was happy when the signal was given for our approach to the Hyperspace exit for our destination. I took my seat on the bridge as we exited to normal space and entered the system. There were three planet’s within the star’s orbit. All three were gaseous of varying sizes. We had decided that the pod would be dropped between the orbits of the second and third planets. The platforms would be placed a kilometer around the drop point, creating a net around it. We wasted no time in beginning our preparations and within a few hours we had the platforms ready and in position. I smiled as I watched the cloaking devices activate and the platforms disappeared from view. I left the bridge and headed to one of the windows along the hull and glanced to where the platform had been and still saw nothing. There was no distortion or anything that would cause the eye to think there was something there. We were slightly worried that there could have been a chance that the vessel we hoped to lure would cross paths with a platform and collide with it, but we won’t know for sure.

Once the platforms were ready, I ordered Vish to take the White Claw away from here and despite her protests she complied. She made sure to release a buoy near the entry area for us before leaving the system. I watched as they pulled away and entered the vortex into Hyperspace. It felt weird to be away from her, but I knew it was for the best.

With the first stage complete, we moved the Assent into position. After Ev and I said our goodbyes to Beth, we watched as she climbed into the escape pod. I couldn’t help the sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach as I watched her enter it and had to take a calming breath when I activated the launch cycle. Even if it was my idea, and was the best chance of success, I wasn’t fully okay with risking someone else’s life like this. Ev gave me a sympathetic squeeze as we left the pod room. She returned to the engineering bay while I made for the bridge. As I entered, we began to veer away from the pod, towards where we planned to hide.

As soon as we veered off, Beth was to give the signal which our scanners were able to pick up. We dropped a buoy to allow us to better track things in the system as we neared our destination. Once we were near enough to the gas giant, Hertal had his officers activate the stealth systems. The lights on the bridge dimmed, as well as the displays from the input pads at the various stations. We continued on our trajectory and placed ourselves as best we could as we awaited the arrival of Beth’s rescuers. While we waited, the ship went through various drills, to ensure we were ready for whatever happened.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.