Stargazer - Book 1 - Into the Stars - Cover

Stargazer - Book 1 - Into the Stars

Copyright© 2021 by James Howlette

Chapter 3

The sensation of takeoff was an amazing experience; I watched the screen before me as the ship made its way out of the Earth’s atmosphere. I was experiencing something that only a handful of people on Earth had ever gone through, though how I knew that I couldn’t understand. My breath caught in my throat, as the blue sky began to darken, and a vast expanse of stars was revealed. The stars slowly grew until the endless expanse of space lay out before me in all its spectacular glory. The sensation of acceleration, pressing me against the captain’s chair slowly decreased until there was no pressure at all. I expected to feel the weightlessness that was expected in space and felt disheartened to realize I wouldn’t get to experience it. Again I wondered how I knew that I should float, just that I knew I wasn’t because of the ship’s artificial gravity. I was finding this lack of memory to be discomforting with each piece of unknown knowledge coming forth without context.

I watched as the moon quickly became more than a small circle in the sky, instead becoming a large sphere of rock as we soon hurtled past it.

With a flickering of amber light, a three-dimensional representation of the solar system appeared between my chair and the pod holding the still sleeping pilot. A small red orb was making its way through the space between the Earth and Mars, which I assumed was a representation of our ship. I pulled my focus from the holograms to the display screen and watched in wonder as the large red planet passed by. For a while, it was just a blanket of endless stars, until I began to see the signs of our approach towards the ring of rocks that made up the division between the inner and outer planets. I never imagined that I would ever see the asteroid belt firsthand, let alone sit on a ship that would weave through the space between the large hunks of space debris.

I was still finding it strange that I was able to recall all of this information. Why was it that I couldn’t remember my own name, how old I was, where I lived or how I ended up in that hole? Despite that, I could remember everything else as if I had never lost my memory. The real question was, did I want to remember what had led me to ending up in that cave? Is what I lost worth remembering again, especially if it would cost me the enjoyment of this new adventure I was on? I would have to table those thoughts because I needed to focus on what was happening right now. I was amazed at the slight sensations made when the ship adjusted its pitch, yaw and roll as it flew through the gaps between the various asteroids. It felt like I was watching a movie, or perhaps sitting in a virtual theme park ride. At that moment, out of nowhere, a flash of memory hit me out of my thoughts. Images of sitting in a movie theater, watching a movie in what was called d-box seats. Laughing with my friends as I watched the movie, enjoying the novelty of the new experience. Th memory and others that had opened up to me, left me disoriented as I tried to process the returning information. It didn’t answer any of my pressing questions, but it did give me hope that I would be able to get some answers in time.

Tali appeared in front of me, “Captain? I have detected some abnormalities in your physiology in the last few minutes, is everything all right?”

“Yes, I’m ok Tali, thank you for asking,” I said softly, as I started rubbing my temples. “The sensations from the course corrections caused a memory to flash in my mind. It felt like an immediate rush of information that was a little too much to process at once and made me disoriented. Don’t worry Tali, I’m sure that I will be fine in a minute or two.”

I glanced up at my transparent companion and gave her the best smile I could muster given how I felt at the moment. I looked back at the holographic display of the solar system, to see that we were nearing the edge of the belt and moving toward the outer planets. I saw that most of the outer planets were nowhere in sight, given that all of them were in a different location in their orbit relative to our plotted trajectory out of the system.

“Captain, we are now leaving the gravity well of your Sol system,” Tali said gesturing towards the holo display. “Activating luminal drives and setting course for the nearest Mac’skarian outpost. Our estimated time of arrival to the outpost is six hours and twenty-three minutes. The ship will be entering hyperspace in five ... four ... three ... two ... one!”

A wave of disorientation and pressure hit me as I watched space warp and ripple on the display screen for just a minute, as a swirling mass of energy appeared in front of us, and we moved forward into the heart of the freshly created storm. Soon the backdrop of space had been replaced with what looked like green static or turbulence; I couldn’t think of any other way to describe it. It was a novel experience standing on a ship as it went faster than light, even though it felt like it wasn’t even moving, and I hoped I would never forget this experience.

Scratching my head I turned to my bridge partner and said, “Tali, I will go to my quarters to freshen up. I haven’t showered since I woke up in that cave a day ago. Is there something I can do about my clothes? They are the only ones I have left and they kind of smell of sweat and death?”

“Of course Captain,” Tali replied with a smile, “Follow me to your quarters and I will show you how to use our molecular fabrication system.”

In an instant she disappeared from the bridge, and I made my way back to my room. Once inside I found her standing right next to the wall to my right. A section was now opened up next to where the food dispenser was sitting in the wall It was about a foot wide by half a foot tall. There were no buttons or displays, making me wonder how I would use it.

Tali gestured to the opening, “As you know, this is where your food dispenser is located and this newly revealed section beside it is the molecular fabricator. Press your palm against this panel to the left of the receptacle to activate it, causing the fabricator’s receptacle to appear in the wall and activate for use. The panel is dark grey in color, which is easy to tell apart from the white and light grey that cover the walls, allowing you to find it relatively easy in the future. In the case of your clothes take them off and fold them neatly. Once that is done place them in the receptacle. I will then instruct you in its use, and how I can help with many different functions.”

I stared at her, processing that she had just asked me to remove all my clothing, as if it wasn’t an issue. Despite the fact that she was an artificial lifeform with no physical presence, I found myself becoming shy at the prospect of being naked in front of her. It was then that I remembered that she could see everything that happens on this ship and thus it was inevitable. I had to make myself understand that she did not have emotions the same way I did, and therefore her request would not be considered an issue to her. Her head cocked slightly as she watched me, wondering why I was not getting undressed, proving my point. I took a deep breath and began slowly stripping off my clothing, trying not to think of the presence in the room watching me. With each piece of clothing I removed, I became more anxious about the translucent being in front of me. Ignoring my urge to not expose myself, I removed my underwear and added it to the pile of folded clothes.

Collecting my only garments, I folded them and placed them in the receptacle as instructed, watching as light enveloped them. As the light faded, I saw that the clothes were gone, another flash of light and in their place was brand new clothing. I collected it and marveled on how soft and luxurious the fabric felt to my hands. I remembered I was currently naked and suddenly feeling very exposed. I quickly donned the provided clothing and was surprised at how well it seemed to fit and comfortable it felt. When I looked back Tali was no longer next to the fabricator, but there were now a pair of boots where the clothes had appeared. I took them and gave a quick scan of the room before I located her. I found Tali standing next to the center of the wall housing the shower stall. A column of panels, going from the floor to the ceiling, rotated revealing a full-length mirror.

As I approached the mirror, I scanned my reflection and analyzed the clothing that had been given to me. The pants were matte black and felt like silk. They were form fitting but had full range of movement. The boots were a black, glossy leather and fit perfectly coming to mid-calf. The undershirt was the same silken fabric, but in a soft eggshell white. The jacket was matte black like the pants, however there were grey metal portions going from collar to shoulder. On my left breast was the image of a cat I had not seen before, made of gold.

“What you are wearing is the command uniform of a Mac’skarian Captain. The image on your chest is that of a Liger, the sacred alpha species of our race. They were the royals who ran our vast empire. The golden Liger signifies your rank of Captain, and will be recognized without question, regardless of your species. I had to make some alterations given your slightly different physiology, but I am confident you will find it most comfortable. Nanobots in the synthweave will repair damages to the fabric, as well as help regulate body temperature to a small degree. They will also send bio feedback to my systems to allow me to monitor you when off the ship. They have a range of fifty kilometers before I begin to lose telemetry, but there are ways for me to extend the range that won’t affect you or your uniform. I will leave you now so you can shower, my avatar will be on the bridge if you need me sir.”

I thanked Tali and, in a flash, she was gone, leaving me alone within my quarters. The new clothes were so comfortable I didn’t want to take them off, but I really needed to shower. I removed the clothes, folded them neatly and placed them on my bed. I then entered the shower stall and closed the door behind me. Upon doing so, a display revealed itself on the wall and a small alcove appeared with what looked to be three medium sized vials of liquid. The display was in English and showed controls for adjusting water temperature and pressure. I set the temperature to warm, and the pressure to medium. Once the water was going, I adjusted the temperature to what felt best. I spent some time just letting the water cascade down my tired muscles, not realizing how good it would feel. Though I had gotten plenty of sleep, all the physical activity I had done to clean up the ship had made me use muscles I had obviously never used before. I then picked up the first vial, which was an amber colour and removed the top. I took a small sniff and found it had the scent of orange and honey. Moving the vial in a small circle I saw that it was a bit thick in consistency.

“Captain the amber vial is a shampoo agent,” Tali’s voice echoing through some unseen speakers. “The metallic blue vial is a conditioner, and the final green vial is a body wash that will properly clean and hydrate your skin. The compartment is a micro-fabricator which will provide fresh vials every time you shower. Once placed back in the alcove, they will be recycled into the system, when the shower is finished.”

I thanked Tali, though I had to wonder if she was spying on me in the shower. Looking at the display I saw a transparency gauge. After fiddling with it for a few minutes I had made the glass opaquer, which gave me peace of mind. I took my time showering, enjoying the warm water and the feel of the soap as I cleaned my body. When I was going to wash my body, an item appeared in the fabricator that reminded me of a loofah on a stick. Once I was done, I still spent a little more time basking in the water, enjoying the cascading water. I turned off the shower and was shocked by the appearance of a translucent blue field on the floor of the shower. I watched as it slowly rose up the stall, leaving a tingling sensation in its wake. As it neared my head, I held my breath and closed my eyes out of fear of what was going to happen next. I felt as the field passed by my face and hair.

I waited until the sensation passed before opening my eyes. I looked at my body to see any sign of what had happened and was shocked to find that both the inside of the stall and my body were completely dry. I chuckled a bit at my silliness and got out of the stall. When I opened it, the stall became fully transparent, and I felt a bit exposed once again. I rushed over to the bed and began to dress in the new uniform that Tali had provided.

Tali’s voice broke through the silence of my quarters, “Captain, please report to the medical bay. There is no need for you to put on anything more than the undergarments provided, as anything more would impede the work that must be done.”

I couldn’t think of a reason that I would need to do any work in medical, but Tali hadn’t steered me wrong before. Once dressed in my briefs, I thought about putting on my undershirt, but decided against it. I left my quarters and moved through the common area, to the hall that gave access to the medical bay. When I entered, I found Tali standing next to the large medical bed I had noticed the first time I entered the room.

Tali gestured to the bed, “Sir, if you would please lay on the bed, we need to begin immediately. There are steps that must be taken before we arrive at the outpost to ensure that there are no issues.”

“What do you mean steps Tali?” I asked, crossing my arms. “I need to know what will be happening to me before I will consent to anything.”

Tali cocked her head to the side and replied, “But, Captain, in taking the position, you have already given consent.”

“Yes, you are correct,” I sighed and asked, “Could you at least give me an idea of what will be happening to me?”

“Of course sir,” she responded with a smile. “Once you lay down on the bed, the glass will close, sealing you within the medical bed. Once you are enclosed, you will be put under sedation so we can start the process. Once sedated, you will have nanobots injected into your blood, not unlike the ones that reside in your clothing. They will go through and complete any repairs to parts of your body or your DNA that have been damaged by genetic or environmental factors. Then you will be given what is called by the Omega Protocol as the Command Package. As you know, in the event a vessel has a non Mac’skarian become Captain due to the failsafe protocol, there are specific changes that have to be made. These changes will ensure that you will be able to fulfill your duties as expected by the Liger command. Your species will not be altered in any way shape or form by this process. Instead your senses will be more finely tuned and heightened to help you protect yourself.

“Your muscles will be strengthened and then maintained by the nanobots in your system. They will also help speed up healing and recovery of minor injuries and most known illnesses. The last of the enhancements will involve making slight adjustments to your brain. At present it is using only ten percent at any given time. We have been able to increase that to forty percent via the nanobots. You will have faster mental reflexes and problem-solving skills that will benefit you as a Captain. The adjustment will also adjust the area of your brain where you process most languages including ours. The adjustment will allow you to easily understand most known languages that the Mac’skarian people have learned and use. You will also be able to read and write in those languages without difficulty. We have found that it allows for less problems when encountering other races.”

I was shocked at the invasiveness of the procedure, but I was in awe at all the changes that would be made. I would basically become in most ways a completely different but in a way more complete person. I wondered what I would look like and how different I would feel when the process would finish. The effects the procedure would have on my mind and how my thoughts might change were on the forefront of my worries. Would my memories return after the process was done and the thought of did, I want them to return kept repeating in my head. I knew that I couldn’t put it off any longer, because it had to be done and there was no other way. I was already a very long way from home and getting farther with every second. With a deep breath, I made my way to the bed and climbed inside.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.