Stargazer - Book 1 - Into the Stars - Cover

Stargazer - Book 1 - Into the Stars

Copyright© 2021 by James Howlette

Chapter 25

The next two hours covered the plans I made with Hertal in regard to reaching out to the settlements and creating open trade between them. Each one, while being a habitable world, had varied biomes that created unique flora and fauna that each settlement had been able to utilize. The animals that they were cultivating were the focus to begin with. I discussed the idea of moving some of the animals to our station to create a viable source of meat and limit the need for the fabricators for food. With our need to build ships and defenses, the materials were better utilized that way.

The issue would be in feeding them. Most of them were herbivores, but we were uncertain if the animals would be able to thrive there. As I thought more about it, I began to recall the means to which most was provided on Earth, and I hadn’t felt right about it then. Instead we came up with the idea of shipments every month or few months of animals who would meet the needs of the station. We agreed that it wouldn’t be too large, as to not over farm the animals causing their numbers to dwindle too much. With multiple planets and various animals on each, we should be able to provide a variety of meat to the station and the other settlements.

Another discussion was of material collection for the mass fabricators on the station. They were worried about the dangers of mining various required materials that were found on the planet. I explained that once the AI unit was activated, they would be able to use the fabricators to create a number of drones to start that process. They wondered if there would be any mass fabricators built on their planet, however, Tali explained that they wouldn’t be able to build one here. There wouldn’t be enough time, given the limited number of drones available. She did suggest that we could send one when the cargo ship arrived for its first delivery and pick up.

They were ecstatic for the changes that this would bring for their people, but I had to remind them that while this would be a boon, there were conditions. The AI would be loyal to me first and foremost, due to the protocol, and wouldn’t allow them to take any measures deemed a threat to me. This didn’t sit well with them, but they didn’t really have a choice. I assured them that I had no ill will and that I only wanted to help. Hertal’s help was key in convincing them of my sincerity.

“So what’s next, Captain Stargazer?” Asked Frenalt, who was the female Mac’skarian.

I sighed a little and replied, “Hertal has told us that he believes the AI core is located in the center of town. Hobbs, the AI of our ship in orbit, said that he has confirmed this to be so. We will have to reactivate the core and Tali is going to have to transmit the necessary information to the newly activated AI.

“Once I put in my command code, I can open the AI functionality to facilitate our goals. This will mean I will have to be in full view of your people, and I know full well the animosity that can be created from seeing an alien. Don’t get me wrong. Your people have every right to be suspicious and distrusting given what happened to your people, but there is little to be done at this time.”

Frenalt nodded, as did Bronai and Verico, the two male Mac’skarians who made up the triumvirate council.

“We will go ahead and prepare the people for your arrival,” Bronai stated in a gruff tone. “I would suggest you fly your ship into the center of the village. There should be enough space for it. Once you reactivate the AI, we can have a celebratory meal. You can enjoy the tastes of the delicacies of our world.”

I smiled, “I would like that, and in return I will have Tali fabricate a few from mine. There is no better way of bringing two peoples together than the sharing of food and stories.”

We all smiled and said our goodbyes as the trio got up to leave. Hertal left with them, to assist in the preparations and to give a personal account of our good intentions. He seemed to be both well-known and liked by the people here, so I had no problems with his decision. We would need all the help we could get.

I recorded a log of what had transpired so far and had Tali relay it back to Alta via Hobbs and the buoy network. We weren’t sure if we needed to add more between here and the closest one between us and Alta. Only time would tell, and we could always drop a few more on our way back. Tali had suggested making a drone that would be small enough to be thought of as an indigenous insect, but I reminded her that we were trying to build trust with these people, so we needed to put forth an olive branch.

“I understand that, sir,” she replied in a mildly irritated tone. “I need to make sure it will not be a dangerous situation for you.”

“Fine,” I replied. “Why don’t you quickly build some drones that could appear as part of the hull. If something happens and we are in danger, they can be given weaponry to protect us until we are back within the safety of the ship.”

This seemed to calm her down and she accepted my suggestion. Ev and Vish agreed with Tali’s urge of caution, reminding me of what had happened to me recently. They trusted my judgment and hoped I was right. We retired to my cabin as we awaited Hertal’s return. While I would love to say that we occupied it with wanton acts of sexual depravity, I admit that we did nothing more than enjoy the comfort of being in one another’s arms. I hadn’t realized I had drifted off until I was shaken awake by Ev.

“Tali just informed us that she has been given the signal from Hertal,” Vish explained. “He will be here momentarily, and he will be able to tell us how things went.”

I thanked them and refreshed myself before returning to the bridge. Hertal arrived roughly ten minutes later with a grin on his face.

“I take it that things went, okay? “I asked as I turned my chair to face him.

He nodded and replied, “There were some that were hesitant, but no one was overtly hostile to the idea. Most were glad to have contact with some Mac’skarians. I explained what had happened and what I had seen so far, and they asked me if I trusted you. I told them I did and that I trusted you enough to join you. A few were shocked and asked what would happen to the rest of the crew. I explained most wanted to stay and join your cause, but we would be visiting routinely to check on things.”

“To start,” I said, causing a confused look on his face. “Once we have established trade and have built a coalition between the settlements and us, I will probably have you running patrols between the locations. Once we gain more allies and ships, then we can have you work from this system.”

His eyes widened, “How would we be able to work from here? My ship isn’t meant to enter and exit the atmosphere.”

“I plan to build defensive outposts in each system that will be tied to the planetary AI Core.” I explained, which still had him confused. “It will act as an extension of the AI, if you will, as well as a home base for your ship and a few more. The outpost will be equipped with a mass fabricator for repairs as well as with defensive weapons to assist in defending the settlement.”

He smiled. “That would mean a great deal to all of us and would give me peace of mind for when I am away.”

“It will take some time, though,” I continued. “We still need to get this place up and running. Once the mass fabricator is installed planet side, they can begin building new abodes or enhance their current ones with more durable materials. They will be able to upgrade a vast amount of their tools and available technology. Every person here will need to go through the medical tubes, once built, to ensure that everyone is as healthy as possible. After that, we need to see who will want to learn new roles to staff the outpost and future ships.”

“It does sound like a lot has to happen,” Hertal agreed. “Still, I know everyone here is up for the challenge and I hope the other settlements will be as well.”

I smiled and turned towards the display screen as Vish brought the engines to life. Within a few moments we had lifted off from the ground and were making our way towards the village. As we approached, I felt a slow build of anxiety in the pit of my stomach. I ignored it and pushed through to focus on the task at hand. There were Mac’skarians standing along the outer perimeter of where we were landing. They had looks of awe and trepidation on their faces as the ship finalized its approach and began to land.

After the ship was powered down, we all headed for the communications room. The plan was to have two security guards exit first, standing on either side of the hatch. Hertal and Vish’ala would exit next to ease some of their fears before Ev and I would leave the craft. Our weapons crew would stay on the bridge in case something happened, and our third security guard would be stationed on the other side of the airlock.

I watched as the two guards stepped out first, and I could hear the murmurs of the crowd. Giving a nod to Hertal, he and Vish began exiting the ship and you could hear the murmurs grow, but the general sound seemed to be positive. Ev took my hand and gave it a squeeze before releasing it as we stepped out of the ship. There were gasps and the talking between the people around us seemed to double. The two guards stepped up behind us and we began our walk towards what we believed would be the interface point for the settlement AI core.

The Triumvirate were waiting for us with neutral expressions as we approached. All three shook the hands of the party, even our security, before gesturing us towards the crowd. Frenalt stepped forward and raised her hand, causing the crowd to hush.

“Today is a momentous occasion,” she announced the crowd. “Today, our future begins anew. Our people have hoped for this day to come, with all the hardships that we have endured. Though the face of that salvation is foreign to us, the words he speaks are true and with him he brings the hope of our people.”

She glanced back at me and gestured for me to join her. I slowly, but confidently, moved to her side and she gestured for me to speak.

I took a deep breath and said, “I know that you are confused, and you have every right to be. You had always hoped and dreamed that it would be one of you, a Mac’skarian, who would arrive to change the destiny of your people. I have to say I am still adjusting, myself. I was a simple person on my world who happened to stumble upon the very ship that you see before you. I don’t regret the events that unfolded, and I continuously endeavor to do my best for those I now call friends.

“It is my hope to rebuild the Mac’skarian people into something new. I know that sounds strange, but the fact is the old ways are why things are the way they are. An old enemy, who we nearly wiped out, decided to return the favor. I know that your blood boils and your instincts call for revenge, but that will not change things. We will end up in an endless cycle of violence and the next time, the Mac’skarian people may be completely erased from existence. I don’t want that to happen, because I have grown to love your people as if they were my own. I will fight and die to protect this new family of mine.

“Together, I hope we can grow and create a new Mac’skarian peoples that will lead to a lasting peace. I know some of you will say, but peace leads to weakness, and we will end up right where we are now. Don’t misunderstand me. I don’t want to invite conflict or war, but I will make damn sure that we are never caught off guard again. There will be changes and we hope to minimalize the effect they will have on your current way of life. The idea is to enhance what you are able to achieve. To better your health and the defense of the home you hold dear. To begin trading with our station and the other settlements to bring growth and cooperation.

“I know that we can do this, and I hope that you will join me on this journey. Now, without further delay, let us bring some life to this settlement that hasn’t been seen in three hundred years.”

I was a little surprised when a chorus of cheers erupted form the people there and I glanced to see even Frenalt looking with a sense of wonder on her face. I glanced back at my ladies to see knowing smirks on their faces.

I activated my wrist communicator and said, “Tali would you please begin activation sequence of the AI Core and send authentication of the Omega Protocol.”

She replied with a ‘yes, sir’, and we waited for a minute or two before there was a hum. I glanced around and noticed that there were no holo emitters present in the area. I glanced at the Obsidian and watched as a drone came out of hiding and flew over to land on the building behind us. Another rose up and, in a few moments, there was a flash of light as Tali appeared next to me. Exclamations of shock and awe came from the crows as they gazed upon what was their first holographic image.

“There are power issues, sir,” Tali stated, with noticeable irritation in her voice. “It looks like the cables that fed power to the core were disconnected. No doubt because they had no idea what those were for. I would like permission to reconnect them and the drone on the top of the building will interface with the core to display the AI for us.”

I glanced over at Frenalt, who was staring at Tali with surprise. When she looked at me, she saw I was waiting for her approval and merely nodded. Tali’s eyes flashed and a third drone detached and flew off west.

A few moments later, Tali announced, “Connections re-established and the drone is feeding materials into their power core to make sure the AI will activate. Ready when you are, sir.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.