Stargazer - Book 1 - Into the Stars - Cover

Stargazer - Book 1 - Into the Stars

Copyright© 2021 by James Howlette

Chapter 24

Despite the threats from Rihs’tal, we saw no unexpected activity over the next few weeks. We used the buoy network to try and track anything coming towards us, but nothing was detected. Drills were run to ensure that we were ready for any threats, and we were confident that we could defend ourselves if anything came. I had received some interesting reports from Er’tanik about their progress with the stealth suit. While they were still working on a way to create the same field that the suit made, they did notice that there was a unique communications array within the suit. It seemed that the array was damaged when Rihs’tal had been captured, but he was certain that this would be able to transmit data through hyperspace. This was surprising in that there was proof that there could have been such an attack if we hadn’t been fortunate, but it also provided an opportunity to upgrade our communications and sensor network.

Er’tanik had split his teams towards two goals. The first was to ensure that we could create our own stealth fields and perhaps fix the issue with movement causing distortions in the field. The second was to create our own communications array that could be used in hyperspace. The plan was to combine these in new buoys and drop them in both hyperspace and regular space to increase our range. This would be integral in creating lasting contact with the other communities that we had learned about and would help ensure both growth and open communication between the settlements. He wouldn’t have any ready for our trip to Hertal’s home, but he assured us that they would have buoys ready for deployment when their ship was finished with its refit.

Even with the tension of a possible attack, our work teams were able to focus and complete our work on the White Claw. Hertal had a discussion with his crew, and some volunteered to fill roles on the Claw. Some of the work crews transitioned to their jobs on the Claw, while the rest began work on the refitting of the other ship. This put us at a crew complement of roughly two hundred and four. This was more than enough to ensure that all needed roles were filled on the ship, but some offered to assist in some of the minor roles that were still vacant until we trained more crew. I was hopeful that once we had visited all the settlements, we might have more people choose to join us and max out the complement of both ships.

I completed one last check in with Alta, to make sure that we had everything set up for our departure. Even with the upgraded Luminal drive in the Claw, we would be gone for a few weeks. I instructed Er’tanik to focus on upgrading our station and space dock with cloaking technology. A first priority would be to hide our defensive systems to make the station seem more harmless and give an edge. If they were able to successfully blanket the station and dock with stealth fields, that would be ideal. It would allow only people who have been to the station know where to go and give them greater protection. Even if we had to deploy the upgraded buoys the next time the Claw made the trip, I wanted the station and dock to be the focus of the upgrade.

Alta would monitor Rihs’tal to make sure we didn’t miss anything or that she would try things while we were gone. It was mentioned in one of the status reports of her behaviour that she had begun interacting with Tor’nak, who had since had his sentence changed to be put to work. He had shown that he was following the rules and there had been a positive change in his behaviour. The fact that the two were interacting would prove if that change had been legitimate, or if he had been playing a game. She would give him an opportunity to possibly get revenge or even free, given her tenacity and his knowledge of the station. Alta would monitor the situation closely and ensure there would be no success in anything that they could plan.

Confident that everything was in hand, I thanked Alta and the council and headed for the Claw. As I walked down the main corridor towards the docking bay, I glanced out of the large windows at the now finished ship. Her ivory-coloured hull was a stark contrast to the blackness of space. To hide that it was Mac’skarian, we had decided to put the ship name in Human English on the hull. Thanks to the change in the shape of the ship, as well as the upgraded systems, it looked nothing like a traditional Mac’skarian vessel. The only part of the ship that wasn’t white was the Obsidian that was docked at the rear of the ship. Tali was going to leave her drones to help Alta with the refit of Hertal’s ship. He had not thought of a new name for the ship yet. He felt that the ship was going to be given a new life here, and as such, needed a new name.

I entered the ship and quickly walked over to the lift system to head to the bridge. I noticed that Hertal had decided to take a place at the sensor systems, while Ev was surprisingly seated at the engineering console. Revt and Evra were at their weapons stations to my right and Vish was seated at her navigation station. Tali and Hobbs stood at either side of my command chair as I walked towards it and took a seat.

“Captain, all systems are fully functional, and all hands report ready for launch,” Hobbs announced with a hint of pride. “If you would give the word, we will be happy to depart.”

I smiled and nodded, “Vish, please release all docking clamps and take us out on thrusters. Once clear of the station, please begin our exit trajectory and plot a course to Hertal’s settlement.”

Vish nodded, “Yes sir, Disengaging docking clamps. Docking clamps are retracted. Activating manoeuvring thrusters.”

I tapped onto the controls on my left arm rest and the holo display in front of me burst to life, showing a detailed representation of the system. Once we were safely clear of the station, she adjusted our course and activated our engines.

“Setting course for the Hyperspace corridor,” Vish announced. “ETA, three minutes.”

“Bringing the Luminal drive online,” Ev said shortly after. “There are no power fluctuations or issues to be seen. We are good to go, sir.”

A few minutes later we slowed down as a vortex appeared before us. Watching the energy build up until the opening formed, we moved within it. Soon the screen was covered in the green static of Hyperspace and the Luminal drive was brought to full power.

“Power and velocity are holding steady, Captain,” Vish stated as she was keying in commands into her console.

“No contacts on sensors, sir,” Hertal called out. “So far everything is clear, and we are on course for my home.”

“We will be there in just under ten days, Captain.” Tali announced which caused Hertal to gasp.

I glanced over and he explained, “It took us a few weeks to reach your station from the nearest settlement when we caught wind of something happening. Though now that I think about it, I think it was Rihs’tal who mentioned it...”

I felt a chill come over me since we found no communications equipment at all out of the ordinary, which meant it could have come from the suit. I still worried that there was another means for her to reach out to whomever gave her those orders, but I couldn’t worry about it right now. I knew that Alta and those back on the station could manage it.

“Thank you for that information, Hertal.” I said with a soft smile. “As for the speed of our travel, don’t forget that your drive will be upgraded as well.”

Tali’s eyes flashed and she stated, “Your drive will allow you to make the trip in seventeen days. Given the output of your drive now, that should cut your travel time roughly in half. I am actually amazed at the functionality of your drive, given the limitations you had.”

Hertal nodded, “It had been difficult, but it had been in progress when the attack happened on our world. There was a lot of damage and without the fabricators to help or the AI it took some time to repair all of the damage. From the records, we spent the next fifty years just trying to survive and recover somewhat from the attack. They needed to try and relearn some of the skills that had been lost, as it had been mostly civilians that had survived the attack. As I had said there was no AI, drones, or mass fabricators, so it was a lengthy process. They couldn’t get the ship built, so they cannibalized it to make a small shuttle to at least leave the atmosphere. We saw the damage that had been done and the graveyard that was our system. It took some time before we modified the shuttle to bring parts down a little at a time.”

Tali’s eyes flashed again, “If it had been a shuttle the size of the Obsidian, then it would have taken over a century to collect the materials needed to possibly build the vessel in our space dock.”

“That is correct, and then it took another fifty to build it,” Hertal replied. “We only had a handful of people, since we needed to focus on agricultural pursuits to keep our people fed. There were also issues with illness and a few natural disasters that curtailed our progress on the ship and maintaining our numbers.”

“Well, I hope that our visit will help ease things for your people somewhat,” I said with a smile. “Regardless of whether they want to collaborate with us or not, I can promise that they will be in a better position than before we arrived. That said, I do hope that they will choose to collaborate with us and receive the full benefits of what we have to offer.”

Hertal sighed, “I hope so, as well, but there is no telling how they will react. Some may be okay with it, like I am, others may react like Rihs’tal. We won’t know until we get there, and they have time to get to know you.”

We spent the next few days running the ship through drills, making sure that we would be ready at a moment’s notice for any threat that might appear. It was nice to be moving through a nearly fully staffed ship, along with seeing the interior finally finished. It was heart-warming to see the members of the crew working together and seeing kinships form. The first night in my new captain’s quarters was enjoyable. I hadn’t expected it to be so large, but given the change in relationships since its inception, as well as who was in charge of the work on the ship, I knew that my ladies had a hand in it.

The bed was more than large enough for us to fit in it, with three cabinets for our uniforms along one wall. There was a dining table in one corner with various chairs. Then there were two desks for Ev and me to use for our work. Her mind was ever thinking of new adjustments and upgrades for the Claw, as well as for future vessels. I, of course, had to go through the various reports that the department heads and various crew members were submitting. I knew that this would be the tedious part of the job, but it was a small price to pay to be able to travel the galaxy as we were. We settled into a routine over the next few days, ensuring that we had sufficient downtime as well. A general mess hall had been built on deck eight near the front of the ship. This allowed for conversation and interaction outside general work hours and even I made sure to spend time there. It was nice to talk to others in a less formal setting. It took a few times, but the crew began to understand that, in the mess hall, rank was less important and to focus on just the person.

I felt the anticipation grow when we began to near the settlement and I could see the nervousness begin to appear on Hertal. I reminded him that there was nothing to be nervous about. He had offered to stay with us and that wouldn’t change, even if things turned out badly. That seemed to placate him a bit and he was able to focus on his duties better. Tali and Hobbs spent most of their time assisting with drills and smaller tasks. It was strange not having either of them taking a more active role, but they were now doing their jobs as they had been designed to do. I made sure to interact with both of them as well, to ensure that they felt as much a part of our crew as the rest of us.

One thing I made a mental note about was to work with our R&D teams to create a hologram that had a physical presence. This would allow the AI to become more tangible as a member of the crew and could even be more beneficial in other ways. The other reason was that I hoped to create something akin to a holodeck, where our crew could relax and be able to escape from being confined to a vessel for prolonged periods of time. This would require a change in how we used holography but could be beneficial overall for crew morale and mental stability.

I was in my quarters going through some reports when there was a chime, signalling that we were nearing the exit point for Hertal’s home system. I closed the screen and left my quarters to head to the bridge. I should have added a conference room and ready room to the bridge so I could be nearby. A few minutes later, I entered the bridge and took my chair as Hobbs appeared and began counting down our return to normal space. A vortex opened and we moved through it, back into normal space.

My holo display activated as our sensors got readings of the region, we were in. The system had four planets, with Mac’skarian life signs present on the third planet. The fourth was a gas giant that had a ring around it, perfect for placing a buoy. We diverted to pass through the ring and deposited the buoy before turning towards the habitable planet.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.