Kindred Spirits - Cover

Kindred Spirits

Copyright© 2021 by Vincent Berg

06: Breaking New Ground

When you chase a dream, you learn about yourself.
You learn your capabilities and limitations,
and the value of hard work and persistence.

Nicholas and Micah Sparks

Despite Leslie’s assurances, everyone was nervous entering the Sykes’ household, including Leslie but especially the new lovers. Logan and Ai walked in holding hands, said hello, and headed upstairs. His father’s mouth opened and closed, making no sounds, a human goldfish, and about as quick witted.

“Mom, Dad, this is Jie. She’s visiting while Ai’s spending time with Logan. She’s doing an Environmental Sciences research project, so she’ll be inspecting the house, in case she wanders in when you aren’t expecting it.”

“Don’t worry,” she said, giggling. “I’ll knock first, just to warn you.”

“Pleased to meet you, Jie,” Helen said, glancing warily at her husband, who remained silent. “The kids have mentioned you. They seem to think quite a bit about you.”

“They should,” she teased, winking at them. “I’m a doll!”

“Come on, Barbie,” Leslie urged, “let me show you around the house, starting with my bedroom where you can stow your stuff.”

Once they left, Helen and Jonathon glanced at each other, unsure how to respond.


“I can’t believe they let you get away with it,” Aiesha gushed, as the door to Logan’s room closed. “I never expected your parents to simply shut down like that.”

“We can’t get too cocky,” Logan cautioned. “He made a big stink about your having two mothers, but if he learns about you and Leslie, all bets are off.”

“Well, for now,” she said, kissing him, “we have all the time in the world to finally get to know one another.” She threw her arms around him as they continued. “I’ve been waiting since forever to do this, and more.” They’d shared frequent kisses over the previous week, but given everything happening, they hadn’t much time to themselves and were eager to make the most of it. She led him towards his bed, lay back and pulled him down with her. He growled and she giggled in response.

“Did Jie really put you up to this?” she pressed.

Logan kissed her gently. “Yeah, she read me the riot act, wanting our first time together to be special before we invite her into our bed too. So, expect her to begin pressing the issue once we’re done.”

“Then we’d best quit wasting time and get busy.” She kissed him again as he rolled them into the middle of the bed, ending with her on top. They proceeded more leisurely than before, though no less enthusiastically.

“Oh, she also warned she’s likely to stop by. The assumption is, any lost spirits will likely be here, having fed on our energy the longest. Though, I’m guessing they’d mostly reside in Leslie’s room, rather than mine, since this one hasn’t seen much action. I’m not convinced that solochicken stranglin’ counts.”

“Actually, though Jie has a better eye for it than me, I can see auras too.” Turning, but not sitting up, Aiesha eyes glazed as she scanned the room. “Yeah, there’s one almost on top of us. It’s almost too close to make out ... at least while making out.”

“Well, instead of interrupting our first time together, let’s try something else. If we’re ever to regain control of our lives, we’ll need to learn how to spend time with each other without feeding these particular creatures. So, treat them as a bothersome disapproving aunt at a family wedding while we’re trying to dance. Just emotionally distance yourself, so we cut off the energy flowing to them. If we can’t accomplish that, these entities will only continue plaguing us.”

“Challenge accepted,” she said kissing him. “Now, let’s determine how well it works.” She gave him a searing kiss, as his hands roamed across her back, clutching her to him. After a few moments, she broke it off, once more checking the room.

“It seems to be working. It’s now several feet away. It’s apparently watching, perhaps awaiting another chance to feast from us.” She turned back, grinning triumphantly. “So, let’s continue refining our technique, and observe how it reacts as we get really close and personal!”

They kissed but were in no rush. Aiesha ran her fingers through his hair, noticing his sensitive ears—something Leslie neglected to mention. He returned her kiss, but was hesitant doing more, not trusting his ability to read her signals. So, he simply held her close as his hands gradually shifted along her back. Whenever one neared her butt, he went a little further, but each trip they took a different route, ensuring she had plenty of time to adjust.

They continued, growing more adventurous, when the door opened. “Thought you’d want to know your door was open again,” Jie said. “Seems someone wanted others to join in your fun.”

Anticipating the interruption, neither halted, though he raised his hand to acknowledge her presence. Jie observed the two for a moment, before turning and scanning the room for a few more.

“Uh, sorry to interrupt again, guys, but there’s a massive spirit looming over you. Do you want to try doing something about it, or let it continue feasting?”

Logan groaned, and Aiesha rolled over with a heavy sigh. “No. You’re right, it’s time we nip this in the bud. We’ve semi-contained it, which is why it isn’t in bed with us at the moment, but we’d best confront it now.”

Jie shifted her position, as the two lovers wearily sat up. “I’m standing just beyond it.” She used her arms to intimate the size, dimensions and location of the entity.”

“Good. We’re all aware how we’re approaching this now. We need to do this together.”

“Wait,” Aiesha said, sweeping her wayward locks out of her eyes. “Are we sure it won’t counterattack when we do?”

“Nope. But I doubt it’ll attack its single source of nourishment. That would be literally biting the hand that feeds it.”

“Or, more realistically,” Jie corrected, “shredding the hands trying to strangle it after stealing too many crackers from the pantry.”

“You’ve got to admit,” Aiesha cautioned, “if you hurt the household pet you feed every day, it will still scratch your eyes out.”

“Either way, we’ll never know until we start.” Logan held his hand up, counting while holding his fingers up. “Three ... two ... one!”

“It’s working,” Jie exclaimed moments later, dancing in place, her eyes wide as she moved around, attempting to corral it. “It’s already shrinking in size and retreating up, attempting to get away.”

“Any signs of hostility?” Logan asked, climbing out of bed as he and Ai approached the unseen creature.

“Not that I can detect, but it’s definitely seeking to escape.”

As the others closed, with Jie indicating how close they were to it and its dimensions, they focused their attention on it.

“It’s terrified,” Aiesha announced, her eyes widening.

“Keep up the attack,” Logon stressed. “If we let up now, it’ll be more difficult next time.”

“Shit!” Jie shouted, leaping aside. “It took off, going right through the wall, heading across the hall!”

“Damn it!” Logan exclaimed. “That’s what happens when you take your eyes off the ball!” Jie raced towards the door—which she’d previously closed, throwing it open and rushing out. The others followed without stopping to consider the implications of pursuing it.

Once in the short hallway connecting the two bedrooms, Leslie turned and pointed. “She went into my bedroom!” She followed as her brother and lover ran past.

“I’ve got it cornered,” Jie warned, “though it’s spooked, looking for a way out.” Logan and Aiesha rushed to her side, while Leslie stood back, covering the door. Jie once again indicated the creature’s location and scope, though her hands kept shifting, as it tried getting past her.

He didn’t bother counting down, as each began responding as soon as they neared. “It’s terrified,” Aiesha cautioned. “It ... feels betrayed Not just—”

“It’s diminishing!” Jie announced, until jerking back and twisting. “Damn, it passed right through me!”

She ran out, barreling past Leslie, who hadn’t observed anything, as Ai and Logan followed.

Racing down the stairs, there was no sign of their parents, as Jie took off down the hall, followed by the two still virgin lovers. Leslie trailed moments later. The small South Korean turned at the only open door, the downstairs bathroom.

“I’ve corralled it again,” she cried, standing in the empty shower, the curtain in her hand and pointing with the other as the rest joined her. Everyone congregated around it.

“What are you kids up to?” Jonathon shouted, his voice muted by the distance.

“It’s shrinking,” Jie crowed. “It’s almost to its ... a more reasonable size.”

“It hurts!” Aiesha exclaimed, biting her finger, as if feeling its pain herself. “It’s confused. It ... won’t attack. Instead ... it feels like it’s ... somehow betrayed us!”

“Whoa!” Logan countered, raising both hands. “We’re testing our limits here, but I’m not ready to execute anything. Let it go. If we can keep it contained so it won’t continue getting stronger, let’s allow it live until we can learn more.”

“Why are you tromping through the place and screaming the house down?” his father yelled, his voice nearer and steadily approaching.

The teens glanced at each other, but Leslie stepped out and shut the door, facing her father. “We’re ... uh ... conducting an ... experiment for school.”

“A homework assignment? You really expect us to buy that?”

“No,” she sighed. “It’s much more dangerous, but we’ve got it under control, though we’ll need to watch it for the next few days.” She paused, concentrating on her father. “You’ve uh got a sock on your shoulder and ... a dryer sheet tucked inside your shirt.”

He glanced down and yanked the garment, shoving it in his pocket. “We were ... uh...”

“Yeah, I know exactly what you were doing, but ... we were chasing something and didn’t understand how dangerous it was.”

“Into the bathroom?”

“We chased it from Logan’s room, to mine, and then downstairs, where it ... Aiesha was using the restroom down here.”

“Look, whatever little game you’re playing, it’s time to stop,” he warned, backing up. “There’s clearly nothing here, and any ‘danger’ is merely make-believe. You’re not little kids anymore and we expect more mature behavior from you!”


“It’s skittish now, nervous and leery of us, but it doesn’t appear to present any risk,” Jie explained as Leslie entered.

“I made up some excuses.” She closed and locked the door to Logan’s room. “Dad didn’t buy it, but he was a bit distracted.”

“It’s contained, for now,” Logan said. “It doesn’t seem to be a threat, even when cornered, though it definitely didn’t appreciate being attacked.” He glanced at Aiesha. “For now, let’s keep an eye on it but otherwise let it be. As long as it keeps its distance, I don’t mind letting it live, and if it behaves, I won’t object to anyone feeding it occasionally.”

Logan then considered Ai more fully, who’d been silent since they’d returned. “So, what was that about? Were you detecting something, possibly another ability, or afraid of hurting something dangerous?”

“No. I... felt it. It wasn’t just frightened. It couldn’t understand why we were attacking it.” She met Logan’s eyes, then surveyed everyone else. “It wasn’t trying to take anything from us, and never intended to hurt us.” She hesitated, her lip trembling. “It ... loves us.”

“Damn!” Leslie swore. “Not only do I not get my own abilities, but Ai gets a double set? I thought we were a team. Where’s the division of spoils?”

“Hey, don’t look at me,” Aiesha said, holding her arms up in surrender. “This came out of the blue.”

“Maybe it’s because you aren’t in it like the rest of us are,” Jie countered.

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

“Face it. While you and Logan obviously love each other, it’s not equal. You treat him more as your wayward child, rather than your brother. Not to mention how much you intimidate me!”

Leslie’s face dropped as she considered it. “Why didn’t you say anything? You had the perfect opportunity when we were talking in my room. That’s certainly not how I feel about you!”

“No? You’ve barely asked me anything and are in no hurry to get familiar. It’s more like you are the mama bear, protecting your only cub. You’ve allowed another misbegotten cub in, simply ‘cause it loves him too, but you’re not about to welcome me yet.”

Leslie looked at the others. “Am I ... really like that?”

“It seems so,” Aiesha stated. “Face it, she’s not the enemy and if you don’t let up and allow her in, we’ll all be weaker for it.” She glanced at Jie for confirmation before addressing Leslie again. “It’s not like she can go anywhere else, or we can find anyone else. Without her, we’re not only weakened, we’re also much less safe!”

“That was never my intent!” Leslie swallowed, then slowly approached the smaller girl, opening her arms and wrapping her in a big hug. “Please. I’m not sure why I was so standoffish but let me make it up to you.”

“You sure you won’t bite my head off once everyone disappears?” she asked, still nervous.

“Of course not,” she said, hugging the smaller girl and kissing her nose. “When these two get back to doing the nasty, I think we need to discuss a few things.” When Jie gave her a weak smile and nodded, they rejoined the others.

“So,” Leslie asked, nudging Aiesha. “How far did you get before you were so rudely interrupted?”

“They barely started,” Jie informed her and the frustrated lovers smoothed their wrinkled clothing, tucking their shirts back in. “I told them the creature was standing there, waiting for them, so Logan decided to see how it responded.” She shivered for a moment. “It felt so strange when it passed through me. I’m unaware whether it did anything, or if it was psychosomatic, but it’s decidedly a weird sensation.”

“All right you two, back in bed and resume your activities!” Leslie ordered, urging Jie back into the hallway. “We need a little talk. But you can’t waste time, since Mom and Dad are suspicious and undoubtedly expecting answers, which none of us have.”


“I can’t believe it succeeded,” Ai giggled, as they once more lay in each other’s arms after their brief excursions. “Not only our techniques, but we worked together perfectly.” She kissed him. “You’re a born leader!”

“Hardly,” he scoffed, “but in emergencies, I’m pretty good at focusing on what’s important, rather than second guessing what I don’t comprehend. Once we get beyond that, I’m typically a basket case.”

She grinned, reached down, and played with his partially erect penis. “I’d say you’re still showing signs of life. But we’re lucky things didn’t progress any further, otherwise we might’ve been chasing the thing through the house without clothes.”

“I doubt that, as it was difficult enough to stop as it was. A few more minutes, and I’d have ignored it even if it was chewing my foot off!” Ai giggled, acknowledging she was of a similar mind.

“Yeah, I’m glad Jie didn’t wait any longer, though Dad will have some questions about what we were doing, as things are already tense enough between us.”

“I think you’re overly concerned. It’s not that your parents don’t trust you. They worry over you: wondering if you’ll find and keep a job, get married and have kids, or if they’ll have to support you for the rest of your life. I think the past few days, when you stood up for everyone and asserted yourself, they’ve witnessed a strong, determined young man, destined for great things. I can see it in the little things they do when you’re not paying attention.”

“Yeah, I’m not so sure, but it’s not hard picking up their worry and disappointment. I hope you’re right. Dad’s always wanted me to be tougher, a man’s man. The kind who plays sports, watches games, roots for the home team and enjoys the kinds of things he does. I don’t think either of them has the slightest clue how to handle me. They know I’m different, but despite talking to the experts, they can’t figure out how to cope with me.”

“They’re doing the best they can,” she assured him. “They still wish you were normal. We all do, once you started describing the long-term complications. But I think they appreciate what they see. You’ll never be quite what they hoped for, but as long as you’re capable and can provide for and take care of someone else, I’m sure they’ll adjust. Now, instead of merely having one beautiful young girl, you have three, you’re taking command, you’re assertive and defending those you love, and won’t back down when pressed. That’s definitely something to be proud of.”

“First off, one of those three is my lesbian sister, and we share the others between us. Secondly, while I am good in an emergency, jumping in and taking charge, once the initial excitement is over, I quickly fade. That’s why I’ll never be a successful engineer, because I can’t endure the normal day-to-day stresses.”

Aiesha started to protest, but he continued. “I handle the stress of the moment by ignoring it, putting it into a box and focusing on the matter at hand. But if it lasts for days, weeks, months or years, I tend to fall apart.”

“I know, honey,” she said, gently kissing his lips and wiggling her hips against him. “Leslie and I discussed it, and realizing what we’re both facing, we have a plan. Since you’re so good with emergencies like the one today and we trust you, you won’t get any fights from us. But when the situation cools, one of us will step in, shouldering the burden until you’ve had time to recover. It’s the least we can do, as I’m useless during a crisis. I’m too busy worrying about everyone, how it’ll affect us and the dangers we face. So, you rescue us from those concerns, and we’ll shield you from your long-term worries. Deal?”

“You got it,” he said as they kissed. “But I’m fairly confident when I don’t show up in time for the rehearsal, or meltdown over the baby screaming in the middle of the night, or I’m working on a faltering project...”

Her eyes dilated, and she cocked her head, evaluating him. “So, you’re already thinking of marriage and kids? That’s a significant step in our relationship!”

“I’m always considering multiple things, and those are only one of them. I don’t like surprises—like the encounter with Roger and his pals—so if I have an idea of how to respond, I’m prepared. At least in the short term. But it takes a long time to decompress and adapt, and even then, my apprehensions about everyone’s continuing risks weigh heavily on me.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.