The Richard Jackson Saga - Cover

The Richard Jackson Saga

Copyright© 2021 by Banadin

Chapter 23

She was a picture of perfection. The Mouse had roared.

My tie matched her dress color perfectly. She had a boutonniere for me. Everyone made a big deal about her having to stand on her tiptoes to pin it on me. June was about five foot four inches tall so I towered over her.

Denny grabbed a footstool for her to stand on. This made us nose to nose. She pinned my flower on but got enticingly close while doing it. When she finished she gave me a light kiss on the lips. Mouse, What Mouse?

Taking my hand we posed for pictures. She held my hand and led me out to the car. All this time I was totally tongue-tied.

I finally was able to say, “June you look wonderful tonight.”

Not very exciting, but try to speak when your mouth is dry.

“Thank you, Rick, I have been waiting for this night for as long as I can remember. I have been awkward for the last few years both physically and socially. I suspect one led to the other.”

“My Mother and Father have been very supportive and assured me I would grow out of it. I can’t tell you how many hours of work my mother put into tonight. Making certain I had the right outfit, how to do my makeup and even how to ask you out.”

“Why me,” I asked?

“That question is one of the reasons Rick. You are considered the rising star of the school. Not only are you considered the top freshman, but you are also considered the top catch in the school. The older girls are conflicted, they don’t want to be seen dating a freshman, yet they would love to date you.”

She continued, “Yet at the same time you remain relatively humble. Maybe humble isn’t the right word, you just ignore it all. You are tall, dark and handsome with a reputation of being dangerous if crossed, and an excellent student with good financial prospects. What’s not to like?”

I had an urge to turn around and see who she was talking about. We got into the car so the conversation was broken up.

I told her parents, “You have a beautiful daughter.”

Her mother replied, “We know, now the rest of the world will know also. I just hope that John Madison wakes up.”

I knew John a little he was a freshman like me.

“What’s John got to do with this?”

June gave out a yell, I would’ve said screech but she was too pretty to screech, “Mother!”

It was a little incoherent in the car for a minute then it all came out. June had been mooning over John for two years. It was her attempt to get his attention at last. The ego that had got swollen with tall, dark and handsome came plummeting to earth.

I started to open my mouth, then stopped and thought. It wasn’t long but you could see the worry on Junes face. I gave voice to my thoughts.

“Well this isn’t good for my ego but at the same time, all you did was ask me to go to the dance. Why don’t we go to the dance and have fun?”

The tension in that car could’ve been cut by a knife. All of a sudden it was gone. Mrs. Hardesty apologized for letting the cat out of the bag. She thought I knew. June apologized for not telling me. Mr. Hardesty just kept driving, smart man.

I had to say something, so I told them it was okay, just surprising, but I could live with it. About that time we arrived at the school.

Now a Sadie Hawkins dance has a hillbilly image from the Li’l Abner cartoon. This was anything but. The high school gym was decorated like prom was being held. We entered through an archway stopping to have our picture taken.

There was a crowd waiting for us in particular, or rather waiting for June. All of her fellow mice were there with their dates. They applauded when we entered and stopped. I had time to mentally adjust and decided I wasn’t going to be an ass about this. I was being used, but June had worked hard for this night and I wouldn’t ruin it for her.

We sat at a table with her friends and their dates. Tonight everything centered on the girls, we guys were decorations or trophies on display. I was just the tallest trophy in every sense of the word.

Somehow it didn’t bother me very much. The girls were fighting a battle for their social standing and currently were winning. Like most people, I had a soft spot for the underdog.

I danced with June for the first two dances. I went over to buy us cokes when I ran into John Madison.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.