The Attorney - Cover

The Attorney

Copyright© 2021 by Westside24

Chapter 9

Thad slept in late the next day after the trial. He hadn’t realized how mentally and physically exhausting trying cases to verdicts could be. He wanted to do something to celebrate the verdict and thought about what he could do. He phoned Emma and asked her out to dinner.

Emma told him the law school was abuzz with the verdict that Thad had received. Not only was it the amount of the verdict but to get it with Scott Connelly being on the other side she laughingly said was worth a big gold star. Emma did say she was free for dinner.

During dinner at Parenti’s that evening all of the conversations centered on the trial. They thought the insurance company wouldn’t appeal the verdict and along with other insurance companies would now conduct some training on handling policy limit demand files. Thad said it would become a practice for him to make a demand for the policy limits when he would forward the special damages to an insurance company or its attorney. No doubt the opposing attorney would know how to respond but with non-lawyers or new employees working for the insurance company who knows what they would or wouldn’t do.

In bringing Emma back to her condo things took a turn for the better. In saying good night she kissed him before she left his car. He was hoping that in the future the dinner date would end with him being invited to come into her condo.

Around noon on Saturday Thad was doing some food shopping at the store when he ran into Kelly Dodge. She surprised him because of the way she was dressed. She had on a light blue pullover and was wearing tight-fitting jeans. The jeans were worn and faded because he thought they had been washed quite a few times. To him, she looked like a tomboy which wasn’t a bad look for her.

“You surprise me with this outfit you are wearing.”

“Thad, you should know I only wear business suits and pants suits when I work. Outside of work, this is what I like to wear.”

“I like the look.”

“What is on the agenda for the high-powered attorney today?”

“Can’t decide if I will go to Ken’s or the club for dinner. What are your plans for this evening?”

“I plan to go to my parent’s house later to use their boat to go on the lake and catch a trout. After doing that I will grill it along with the potatoes and corn on the cob you see in the cart here.”

“Sounds like fun.”

“Do you want to go fishing?”

“I haven’t fished in I don’t know how long.”

“Remember I showed you where my parent’s house is by the lake. If you want to go with me you can buy a fishing license at the service desk here or online. Think about doing that and if you want to go, be at my parent’s house at four-thirty. I don’t go fishing till the waterskiing stops.”

Thad watched her walk away admiring her fine ass encased in those tight jeans.

He finished his food shopping while at the same time continuing to decide what he should do this evening. Fishing with Kelly, who was a very attractive lady was something different to do and that received his vote. He went online and applied for a fishing license.

After parking his car he walked around Kelly’s parent’s house. He could see Kelly on the pier putting some fishing gear in the boat.

She gave him a wave and when he came nearer asked what was in the small cooler he was carrying?

“I remembered you can get thirsty fishing so I brought some refreshments.”

Kelly laughed at him and said it was time to go. He stepped into the boat and sat down on one of the comfortable high back seats. After Kelly pulled the starter rope on the ten horsepower motor which was tiller controlled, she motored out to a spot that was about thirty-five yards short of a boathouse across the lake. She killed the motor and since there was neither wind nor waves with the skiers off the lake there was no reason to drop the anchor.

She handed Thad a spinning rod that had some sort of cheese-type bait on the hook and told Thad to cast it out and let it go to the bottom which he did. Putting the rod in a rod holder he opened the cooler and offered her a margarita cocktail in a can which she accepted. He pulled the tab on a can of beer and sat back giving a good look at the surroundings. The scent of the water and the scenery made for a very picturesque setting. Added to that was an attractive woman sitting about six feet from him which made this scene even better.

It further improved when he noticed the tip of his fishing rod moving which indicated something was nibbling on his bait. He took the rod, set the hook, and reeled up a nice size trout that Kelly netted. He re-baited and cast out. About twenty minutes later Kelly reeled up a trout about the same size as the one Thad caught. She told Thad they should motor in and have dinner.

Kelly handed him a knife asking Thad to gut and clean the fish while she did the food preparations. He was taken back by her request but he did what she asked.

It turned out that the baked potato, roasted corn, and grilled trout with a buttery lemon sauce made for a delicious meal. He complimented her on her cooking ability.

Kelly was an easy person to talk to which made for a pleasant time. He avoided the subject of her no longer being engaged and so did she. More conversation ensued when her parents from wherever they had been, came back home and joined the conversation. Thad enjoyed this time because it was different from what he had been doing during the evenings. This was like he was spending his time with family.

At the office the following week Thad received congratulations from all of the staff. When the draft in settlement of the judgment was received it meant the insurance company wasn’t going to appeal the verdict. The draft was apportioned to pay Thad’s fee and expenses and the Turner judgment. There were even some funds left over which went to Rex Firman. This could be said to be a big win-win for all involved.

One day Ron came to Thad and said he needed to discuss a few things with him.

‘What’s up,” asked Thad.

“I want to show you our new stationery and he handed Thad a sheet of paper.

Thad looked at it, smiled, and then shook hands with Ron. The reason he did that was that the heading on the stationary said “Stallings and Conway, Attorneys at Law.” Ron confirmed that Thad was now a full partner in this law practice.

Ron also said, “Because of your trial reputation and success I was contacted by James Piper from the law firm of Piper and Roberts. Jim told me that Jack Roberts his partner had a severe stroke. It probably means he will no longer be able to practice law. Jack was their trial attorney and now they don’t have anyone who can handle several cases that are coming up for trial. He wants to refer those files to us, mainly you, to try the cases. It’s up to you if you want to do it and I told him you would be in contact with him. Why not give him a call to set up an appointment to discuss it with him.”

Thad did make the call and that afternoon he went to the law offices of Piper and Roberts which was located not far from the courthouse and the university. Jim Piper warmly greeted him and asked Thad to take a seat in his office to discuss the situation.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.