Revenge - Cover

Revenge

Copyright© 2021 by Peter H. Salus

Chapter 37

Elly did remain. He managed to learn the names of several of the Tiwi women, as well as a number of other females. In fact, he was quite a Romeo. Actually, a Don Juan would be more apt. And as he did seem to lure them on, he had what might be an occasional harem of those he enjoyed and who enjoyed him.

Elly also laid out a nursing facility, chose a site for it, and insisted on pouring 20 concrete pillars each coming 25 cm above the ground and making certain they were building a truly level floor upon them.

“We want to be above the dust and dirt. We want to make sure white ants [termites] can’t get at the wood. If some is injured or sick, I’m not lookin’ to be responsible for them to be in unsanitary conditions,” he’d said.

And everyone concurred. Oh, some of the men grumbled about digging holes, but everyone understood and the grannies and the women with children and the ones without children made sure that the grumblers worked, anyway. Digging, mixing, pouring. Laying beams and plywood flooring with a layer of felt below and vinyl linoleum above. Elly had spoken with Sam about it. The flooring would run over $2000. Sam had approved it as well as equipment and furnishings. Elly painted the entire interior with white latex urethane: “Easy to keep clean” was his slogan. When it was complete and she saw it, Farsana immediately requested “permission” to use the facility for gynecological exams. Elly was soon considered an important part of the community.

Osprey sent a couple who proved far less popular: she was a filcher -- of small things – a pair of scissors, a ‘cup’ of nuts, a head-cloth; he was a complainer and shirker. After several complaints, Jos asked Sam what to do.

“The traditional communities used public shaming, exile from the community, restitution, community work, and public apologies. I don’t know these two. They’ve only been here a short time. What do you think?”

“Shaming and exile – or at least isolation – might be effective. I don’t know. Might we just return them to Wyndham?”

“Perhaps both. We could call a meeting, confront them and then put them and their belongings in a ute and drive them west.”

“I’ll ask Deb to look through their stuff to make certain something’s not fallen in by mistake.”

“That’s prejudging!”

“And you’re acting like a whitefella, being ‘fair’. You don’t know these folks. If they were in a larger place, she’d be shoplifting or hooking and he’d be drunk or sniffing.”

“Sorry. When do we do this?”

“After lunch today.”

At about 13:00, there were a dozen or so residents present. Sam noted that Zeke and Joel were among them. Andy and Rita (carrying Nora) escorted Irv and Lindy to Jos.

“You two haven’t been of any benefit to the group since coming here,” Jos said.

“I bin sick!” Irv protested.

Jos looked toward Elly.

“You’ve come to me with complaints three times. I’ve not found anything amiss.”

“You ain’t no doctor!”

“No. But your complaints have been inconsistent and you’ve made no attempt to seek help at a health facility in town.”

“And you, Lindy, have been stealing from others here.”

“Me? Never!”

Deb stepped forward. “I have Nancy’s silk headscarf and Jo’s scissors. They were in your stuff. Rita was with me a few minutes ago.”

“Them was lent me!”

“Not true. Nancy’s asked about that scarf coupla times.”

Sam interjected. “Irv. I think you have been a free loader, eating and not working. Lindy, it seems you have been borrowing without requesting.”

“No!” said Mike. “Them’s both thieves! Both o’ them eat without doin’ anythin’! An’ top o’ that Lindy cops stuff! I don’ want ‘em!” There was a general grumble. Jos held up a hand.

“Our ancestors would have knee-capped the man and pierced the thigh of the woman. We are not brutal. But Mike says that he doesn’t want Irv and Lindy here. And I understand that. We don’t have to maintain them. We can expel them. We can exile them from here.”

“Let Zeke and Joel take them back to Wyndham,” said Deb, seemingly representing the grannies.

“That’s good,” said Nancy. “An’ Lindy c’n keep my scarf. I don’ wan’ it no more.” She turned away, toting her infant bilby.

“Irv, Lindy. What do you say? Do you go to Wyndham willingly?”

“Ain’t got no choice, do we?”

“We could take you to Timber Creek, that’s in NT.”

“Never bin there.”

Zeke said: “Or down towards Warmun ... uh, Turkey Creek.”

“Never bin there neither.”

“Well, you’d never bin here before coupla weeks ago.”

“Best take us back to Wyndham.”

“OK. Show’s over folks!” Jos looked at Zeke. “Put ‘em an’ their gear in the ute. Drop ‘em near the river.”

“OK.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.