Revenge - Cover

Revenge

Copyright© 2021 by Peter H. Salus

Chapter 30

“Are there any older women here?” Masked Owl asked as they turned of the Victoria Highway.

“Yes. There are several ‘aunties’.”

“Perhaps one could warm me tonight.”

Sam was taken aback. He hadn’t thought a ‘visitor’ would have such interests. But soon after he parked the truck, two women, Ruth and Deb, had come over. They were both greying and fairly heavy. Each was missing a tooth.

“We are Deb and Ruth.”

“A prophet and judge and a symbol of loyalty. A felicitous pairing.”

“We have a house,” Deb said.

“Will you guest with us?” Ruth added.

Masked Owl looked at them. “You honor me. I will stay with you. But first I must speak with the men.” They nodded and turned away.

Sam led Masked Owl to where Jos was talking to Zeke and several other men and introduced them.

Masked Owl repeated some of what he had related to Sam and Boobook. Jos thought for a minute or so.

“This is too much for me. In the morning, Zeke and Joel will take Bunjil’s ute and fetch Frogmouth from Galjiba [Molly Spring] and Boobook. We will meet at Yardungarl. He who is no more may advise us.”

There was a murmur among those who had gathered. This was something serious. A few older women might bring some fruits and grubs and then depart, but no other women nor any young men. Secrets might be spoken. Not of this group, but secrets.

Sam took Masked Owl to where Deb and Ruth had their shack; then he went home. He played with the twins, and told them the story of how Odin pledged an eye for knowledge. Tessa and Lily served him food and he told them of his day.

“Tomorrow morning I will bathe and put on clean clothes,” he said. “I don’t know what will transpire, but it will be important.”

It was early when Zeke came to fetch the keys to the 4x4. “You will drive first to Galjiba and then to Mirima. You will take Frogmouth and Boobook to the place of the old ones, at Yardungarl. The two owls will tell you whether to stay or return here. Joel will go with you.” When Sam was done, Zeke nodded. Sam ate sparingly and walked to Deb and Ruth’s.

“Who has a ute that can take us to Yardungarl?”

“Fred. He’ll bring us back, too.”

When they got to Yardungarl, Rock Wallaby was there, clad in his ceremonial booka. “I was told to come,” he said to Sam.

“So I see. This is Masked Owl of the Tiwa.” They nodded to each other. Fred and the women were ignored. “We await Josiah, Boobook and Frogmouth.”

“An eagle, three owls and a Wallaby,” said Masked Owl.

Just then a ute pulled in. The driver got out. He was a tall older man who wore a booka and whose chest bore scars. “I am Osprey of Wyndham. I was drawn here.” [The appearance of an osprey indicates a spirit in the form of the beacon, coming to guide to a place of safety or security.]

“We are honored,” said Sam. “I am Bunjil, koradji in Darug around Sydney, where I was born. My father is a python, boyla in Nyungar, who is of Perth.”

“I know of the Python, who lies in wait to ensnare in the coils of the law. And you, too, are known.”

“This is Masked Owl of the Tiwi.”

“Aha! You know the dreaming for the sea turtle and the osprey of the Wurdalia clan, for the osprey’s pursuit of the sea turtles shaped the landscapes from West Island to Watson Island to the tip of North Island.”

Masked Owl laughed and bowed his head.

“And this is Josiah.”

“Ah! The tool of the Serpent and the founder of Gabbaitch.”

“And here come two more owls!” said Sam, as his 4x4 drove up and Boobook and Frogmouth got out, each draped in their own booka.

After introductions, Osprey said: “Only the birds, the wallaby and Josiah are needed. The others and the utes should not see where we meet.”

The women and the drivers nodded and left in the four vehicles.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.