A Love for Jesse - Cover

A Love for Jesse

Copyright© 2021 by Jake Rivers

Chapter 5

JESSICA – Moving on

I was confused. I was horrified that I had put my heart and my soul into that note and a man, this doctor had read it.

My thoughts were jumbled. Wow! I don’t know what I was thinking. Doctor Spaulding thought I was mostly depressed and he talked to me about self-esteem. We talked about what I had accomplished in school and what I had to offer in the job with the oil company. Then he asked me the shocker; he wanted to know if I wished I was married to Gerald and was living with him! When he asked that I thought about a big, slimy snake.

I thought back to when I met Gerald:

I was really inexperienced with men. Like in high school – I never went to any of the dances, and my few dates only lasted long enough for the guys to find out I wouldn’t go to bed with them. College was much the same, except I kind of gave up on dating completely and concentrated on my grades. That, at least, paid off and I completed my Geoscience degree in three years at Ft. Lewis College in Durango.

I had gone on and earned my Masters in Economic Geology at the Colorado School of Mines in Golden. My area of interest, one I was passionate about, was Environmental Planning. I had lived for the last eighteen months with my Aunt Bea, a few blocks from the campus. My Uncle Hank worked at Coor’s doing market research.

It was at a Coor’s Christmas party that I met Gerald. He was tall and very handsome with black wavy hair. My uncle told me he was a “git” (he had been a pilot in the war stationed in England and said that git was mildly offensive word for someone you don’t like). He dressed a little too flashy for me but I was terribly lonely.

I did feel comfortable with him; he never pushed me too hard for sex, saying he could wait until we were married. Now, as I was driving up I-70 towards the Eisenhower tunnel, I had an epiphany! When I first started dating Gerald, he was what we used to call a “foreigner” in high school: Roman hands and Russian fingers. One night at dinner, on our fourth date, I told him about my job offer, working on the environmental planning for an oil shale company in Grand Junction. After that he was suddenly much more patient. I was too naive to understand what he was really thinking.

I finally admitted to myself he was using me. He seemed like he was just out for what he could get from me until I got a good job offer. But even that didn’t stop his disrespect and his running around. Yeah, he’s nothing but a slimy snake.

Outside of my loneliness I was feeling better. I sure wasn’t missing Gerry. And to think of what I had almost done because of his running around!

I liked Doctor Spaulding. He was funny but he made me think a lot too. We talked a couple of times then he introduced me to this wizened (that’s the word that came to my mind when I saw her) woman that Doctor Spaulding introduced as Maggie O’Conlan. She was a retired professor emeritus from the psychology department at UC Colorado. She now had a private practice in Boulder.

I talked privately with her a couple of times then we made arrangements for me to start seeing her weekly for a few weeks. If that went okay and I still wanted to she could refer me to a colleague in Grand Junction and start on my new job. She had called them and explained I’d been caught in the snow and had suffered severe frostbite. They said they would hold the job for me for a couple of months.

From some of our conversations I understood that she knew generally about the suicide note but hadn’t seen it.

And I kept wondering about what Cal - I couldn’t think of him as Doctor Caleb - had done with the mirror. I couldn’t believe the difference! What shook me up a little though, was whenever I smiled at Cal he smiled back. Which made me smile. It felt strange.

I couldn’t stop worrying about that note and that Cal had read it. It bothered me. Not that I had written the note but that he had read it. No one had seen the depths of my pain, my innermost secrets. I was both excited about it and ashamed at the same time. I felt the need to clear the air. I couldn’t get him to talk seriously. Like the last time, right before I left the hospital.

I was trying to broach the subject of the note so we could talk about it. I thought he was ready but then he asked if he could see my toe. It was healing and had only a loose bandage over it. I pulled my foot out from under the sheet and held it up. He lifted the bandage and looked really serious.

“Damn, Jesse. What are you going to do if you have to count past nineteen?”

I had to laugh at that ... but then I started crying, sobbing really. Life was just too much for me all of a sudden and I wished that Cal had not found me. Cal looked stunned as he tried to comfort me but it was too much! I yelled at him to leave me alone!

Later Maggie came in and talked to me; I was calm then.

“Jessica, I’m concerned about these mood swings of yours. Do you understand what I’m talking about?”

I thought for a minute, frowning in concentration.

“Can I tell you the truth, Doctor O’Conlan?”

She smiled at me, somewhat wryly. “Yes, Jessica, that would be nice!”

I looked at her, confused for a minute and then realized she was teasing me.

“Doctor, I’ve never been happy in my life! I’ve never been loved by anyone, except maybe my aunt and uncle. I’ve been lonely; I’ve been sad. I didn’t want to live anymore ... I couldn’t take it! Cal made me laugh yesterday; it felt so good. Then he had me look into a mirror and see how a smile transformed me, made me a different person.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.