Shabtis - Cover

Shabtis

Copyright© 2021 by Freddie Clegg

Chapter 8: Arrest

Weni Asyut looked back at the group of men that he led. They were tough, reliable, steadfast and committed to their work. Asyut was responsible for the nome’s Medjay. An elite force, the Medjay were charged with policing royal palaces and tombs; promoters of Ma’at – good order – across the land. They were a group that could be relied upon to enforce the will of the pharaoh and the priests of Amun. Proud of their Nubian heritage, they stood with stony faces, concerned that their mission was taking them into areas where their usual tactics of enforcement might not be sufficient.

Like all Egyptians, they had a healthy respect for magic; all the more so when it was reputed to be the magic of Isis herself. Here, though, the accusation was that magic being used to disturb Ma’at. The traditions of government were being disturbed. The good order of administration was being subverted. Such action risked disrupting the ability of the state to ensure the continued prosperity of the land. It needed to end but magic misused was still magic.

It was early. The sun had not yet got beyond the horizon. The dark shape of the Temple of Isis would be the first to be hit by the rays of the sun as it crested the horizon to start its daily journey across the heavens.

The group of Medjay were standing beside a comfortable house close to the banks of the Nile awaiting their moment.

“Chief Scribe!” Weni Asyut pounded with his staff on the threshold of the house. “Your daughter must come with us. She is accused of desecration of the Isis temple and plotting against the Nomarch.”

On her sleeping pallet on the roof of the house, Nofret heard Weni’s cries and knew there could be no escape. She looked at the ring on her finger. She knew that its power was great but it would not defend her against an entire Medjay company. With testimony from any of the men, it would condemn her. Without it, she had a chance of defending herself.

She slid the ring from her finger. As its power ebbed from her she felt the fear of the Medjay well up inside her but she stayed to her purpose. Looking around the roof platform she saw a small crack in the whitewashed mud brick wall and wedged the ring into it so that it could not be seen. She had barely finished concealing the ring when Weni appeared on the roof, her father at his side and his troops behind him.

“Nofret, daughter of Ity, you must come with us,” Weni announced.

“For what reason?” Nofret stood tall, confronting the group of men. The sun, just cresting the horizon, glinted on the gold and lapis-lazuli of her earrings. Some of the Medjay looked concerned. She could imagine they had heard of the power of the Isis ring. “And on whose authority?”

“The authority of the Priests of Amun. You are accused of offences against Ma’at, attempting to corrupt the sons of the Nomarch, and sacrilegious use of the Temple of Isis.”

“Who accuses me?”

Nofret’s father watched in wonder at his daughter’s defiance. It would never have occurred to him to question the Medjay in this way.

“Medhu, Overseer of the Temple Servants and daughter of the Keeper of the Nomarch’s Stable.”

This was dangerous, Nofret decided. Medhu was in a position of influence and she had been abandoned by Ahmose when he had found himself under the spell of Isis and Nofret. Now, Nofret knew that she had been right not to bring the ring, Medhu would not be affected by its power. On the other hand she had little choice but to go with the Medjay.

“Very well, we shall find the truth. I shall accompany you.”

Head held high, Nofret walked ahead of the company of Medjay towards the Nomarch’s residence. To any observer it would have seemed more that they were her escort than her guards.

Medhu watched with a look of triumph. Nofret would pay for her insolence in despoiling the temple with her behaviour.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.