The Dragonskin Chronicles Book 2 - Cover

The Dragonskin Chronicles Book 2

Copyright© 2021 by TonySpencer

Chapter 14: Coronation

Korwyn had dozed off in the chair, after his welcome, soothing bath, followed by his rather less relaxing haircut and shave. One of the servants, an old military batman, a permanent fixture at the castle that Korwyn clearly remembered from his service days, even helped him dress, after allowing him some privacy to put on fresh underclothes. During his bath and preening, his famous dragonskin garments had been wiped down in concentrated lye to cleanse them of sweat, road dirt and encrusted gore, and then rinsed and sponged down with rose water to rid them of the otherwise lingering odour of lye.

The old batman said as he dressed him that, because of his fame, the people would be disappointed were he not to be officially presented in audience with the Queen and Court in anything other than the skin of the infamous Black Dragon of Hawkshart. Having lived in the remarkably comfortable dragonskin for five years, Korwyn admitted that he was glad to have it returned to him spruced up as good as new.

Both the barber and the batman, as they fussed about his person, talked endlessly about how delighted everyone in the kingdom was that the old king was deposed and the Queen ruled at least temporarily in his stead and the outcome of the trial of the king was expected to reach a popular foregone conclusion of guilty. Both men were in occupations where close personal contact meant that seditious rumours about the elf arrows had circulated for years, with the Crown’s spies openly quashing and imprisoning any persons discovered discussing such matters. Naturally, the whole kingdom had heard of Korwyn’s exploits over the years, how he slew the Blearn Mountain Dragon, rescued a dwarf princess and now returned to his home realm as the noble hero who saved mankind from the tyranny of an evil king who had murdered or attempted to murder every single member of his own family.

“I does the hair of all the young gentleman officers in the castle,” the old barber told him while ministering to Korwyn’s untidy and overgrown locks, “in fact, I well remembers doing the bonny of a young wet behind the ears subaltern the first time he came here ‘bout thirteen years ago it was, which is why I insisted on doing your beard and hair tonight, Sire, and brought with me my apprentice Jolyd to attend to the Undead fellow wot you’d brung with yah.”

Korwyn peered at him in the small, polished mirror, seeing an old, thin man with a red face, a shrivelled chicken neck, but blessed with the most luxurious growth of hair, shining with polished health, dyed jet black and extravagantly combed up high on his head, that he’d ever seen anywhere in the world. Even, he thought, the famously hirsute Tree Goblins of the Seddish Mangrove Delta couldn’t even compare.

Korwyn looked closely at the face and was sure he had never met the fellow before, but graciously said in reply, “Aye, man, you do look familiar, and I was here on a short two-year commission in my youth on the insistence of my grandfather at the time.”

“You were, and such lovely thick hair you still have, sire. Now, I know you insisted on having it cut short, but if you’d only let me—”

“No, short is how I prefer it, thank you. It’s easier to keep reasonably clean while travelling on the road and I’m sure I have much more travelling to do before I settle down for good in my own home, set down my ‘welcome mat’, and can consider a style of grooming appropriate to that lifestyle.”

“I’m sure you’ll always have a warm welcome home here, Sire. May I be so bold as to say that you are royal family through and through and the Queen and her young’uns needs their family round about them right now with the responsibilities she will have to take on without a king by ‘er side.”

“Well, the Royal family have got along fine without either me or my father for over thirty years. I expect that once my travelling days are over I will settle upon my distant manor as a fine, upstanding farmer and loyal subject of the crown and, will be only half a day’s ride away if my advice or battle axe be needed.” Korwyn mused, “But you be right, close kin are important and I dare say there’ll be visits made back here and they’ll be often, I would like to get to know my cousins better and the Queen is a dear old friend.”

Korwyn being reminded about his family made him realise that for the first time in a long while he actually considered the future, one that hadn’t really occupied his thoughts with any degree of prospect much in the last ten years. There had once been goals, very clear ones immediately following Hawkshart, mainly get well again, train back up to fighting fitness, track down and find the Black Dragon, and then to kill it; thereafter he had thought only of earning purses in military service and to send money home. He planned to avoid going home because of his shame in surviving Hawkshart, when all the male members of his family perished and so many boys from his homeland he died there too.

Since meeting Zyndyr and falling in love with the beautiful but dangerous Elf-woman, Korwyn had consciously avoided considering a future together, one he knew would mean her surrendering her immortality, and placing a greater sense of guilt should he, as an ordinary farmer, disappoint the most powerful and beautiful warrior he’d ever met. He realised that he and Zyndyr needed to sit down and determine between themselves how they would spend the next stage of their lives as parents to their expected child.

Korwyn was no longer alone and he had still to adjust himself to that.

He decided then and there that if Zyndyr was still determined to lose her immortality by making love with him one more time, then he would agree with her and settle down with her for the rest of both of their lives. He remembered that Zyndyr had hinted that they had to complete two other stages after that but he honestly couldn’t remember what they were or even if she had explained them.

When he emerged dressed from the bath chamber, he saw Zyndyr already dressed now in a diaphanous gown more worthy of a royal gala ball than an official obligatory introduction to Court. Her long green hair was lustrous and piled high on her head and the white silk of her dress emphasised the reddish hue to her skin that appeared darker than normal in contrast, while her emerald green eyes flashed in pleasure as they saw her husband fresh and clean-shaven before her. She was dressed and ready earlier than he because she had bathed first and the Queen’s Royal Hairdresser had just been starting to work on fixing her hair when Korwyn was ushered in to have his own bath and haircut.

“You look lovely, Zyn, I may be battle-weary and hungry, but I have never felt so invigorated, simply from gazing upon such a thing of beauty as you.”

“Tosh, Husband!” Zyndyr laughed as she rose from the chair in which she had reposed on the edge in fear of creasing her dress, “I feel naked without my bow and lightning stick, although royal etiquette apparently says I may wear my elf-sword at a Court Audience, though I feel it would look silly over this lovely dress they have found and refitted for me, cut and resewn to allow for my wings’ comfort.”

“Well, I will wear a sword belt and my wee dwarf sword, my batman says that a new scabbard and belt has been fashioned for me just for our court appearance this evening, and is awaiting me in the outer court chambers. Apparently the Queen has requested our regular attendance at Court for our advice while we stay here and rest up for a few days and I felt it churlish not to agree to that task on behalf of us both. Otherwise my Dragonskin is the people’s and the Court’s preferred uniform for me, so my appearance is as it ever was tramping upon the long road, while you, My Lady, are a vision that will cause every male courtier to swoon and every female present desire to scratch your eyes out.”

“Well, I am sure you flatter me to deceive, Wyn, but I think you polish up quite well. Your hair is a little shorter than I would prefer but as I know that we have many more journeys ahead of us it is more than acceptable. Your uniform looks even better than it did before.”

“I think the Dragonskin has been waxed and feels lighter and more supple with the grime of the mountain road and forest mud removed. The boots look polished up to parade ground level and despite all the miles we’ve covered in both Dragonskin boots and clothes, there’s no discernible wear and tear that I can see.”

“I think the Dragonskin is still enchanted, Wyn. There must be a residue of Sorcerer magic running through its fabrication. When you have been wounded by Orcs and I’ve removed it to treat your injuries, I have also used healing webs on the cuts in the Dragonskin and they have healed up just as if it was living flesh, even the cuts not covered by the webs. In that one respect that skin is very much like my Living Armour.”

“Only my Dragonskin doesn’t have a mind of its own and protests constantly like your armour has, all the while your lovely body has ripened with the growth of our daughter child, my dear.”

“Well, another few months and my armour will protest no more and, maybetides I can set my armour aside as we enjoy the peace and tranquility that our efforts deserve. But we must talk on this subject of the future now that our war is over and our new lives will absorb us once our daughter is born. We have more journeys to undertake before then and we must set out as soon as we have rested and yet not be disrespectful to our hosts in our haste to get away. So, my dear Lord, your Dragonskin and my Living Armour will still be useful in the foreseeable days to come.”

“Aye, of that I have no doubt, sweet Lady.” He took her gently in his arms, careful not to muss her up. “I have thought long and hard about our life together and taking your immortality, tho’ I know you give it willingly. I love you, Zyn, above all else and, if you want to give up what you have to spent the rest of your life with me, well, that is what I want too.”

“I do love you as I have loved no other, to live the rest of my life with you would be more fulfilling than anything else I can imagine. We have one more ... well, we don’t have to right away—”

“I can wait until tonight,” he grinned.

She slapped him on the shoulder, then kissed him lightly on the lips. “We still have two more tasks after that. I have been in contact with my Queen—”

“How?”

“We carry mini-portals not dissimilar to Bydon’s mirrors, but communicate by speaking and hearing only. I have not spoken to my Queen for four years and would never dream of calling her, but during our journey she has spoken to me several times. She says she ‘felt’ my pregnancy. We are close family, Wyn, we’ve always been close ever since birth, so we have a bond. For the fourth step, after we make love one more time at least, we both must visit her new world. As far as I know you will be the first man ever to set foot in that world. Once we complete a formal ceremony, which will break all my ties with Elfdom, we will have one final task that will break some of your ties, but it must be completed before Allodya is born.”

“Allodya?”

“Our daughter’s name means ‘blessing’ in Elf-tongue.”

“That’s lovely, I can call her Allie for short.”

“Don’t you dare!” Zyndyr snorted, slapping his shoulder, “Now, let me go you lovely oaf, or my dress won’t look fit to meet your Queen in.”

“You look lovely enough that no Queen would think you snub them, though they will understand clearly enough that you easily outshine them. I hope I don’t look too shabby by your side but I have worn this skin for so long that I would feel naked without it, whether we travel, wreak battle on orcs or I toil daily in my fields. The cloak, which has served as shelter and even fashioned into a boat on more than one occasion, can be left here in our chambers tonight.”

“You do look dashing though. Are we ready to go?”

“Aye. The Red Dragon tells me that he is playing with the royal children and will land outside the Court Chamber and wait for us there. He has been conversing with the Spirit who has helped him with constant advice, while Red is aware that we parents cannot watch him all the time. Also the other dragons are looking to him for leadership and advice. Some of them are flying to the new mountain sanctuary tomorrow to look around. What of our Prince and the Undead Commander? Do you know if they are ready for their audience with Queen and Court?”

“Bydon has been taken to the Royal Apartments to be officially introduced to the Royal Children, at least Princess Glendora will be aware that this is a courtly requirement of state between two friendly nations, she is but only two years younger than Bydon. Prince Fantym is still a baby and will not understand the occasion at all. We will join with them at Court. The Undead Commander is wearing the healing web about his head under his uniform cap, so hopefully his mind will eventually catch up to the experiences of his body. Considering the ordeal he has lived under for so long, he looks very well considering how thin he is, and he is dressed very smartly in a Captain’s dress uniform that the Garrison Quartermaster has secured for him. Perhaps we should address him as Captain, as he no longer commands the Orcs and is a memory he would rather forget?”

“Aye, Captain it shall be,” grinned Korwyn, “and no mention of ‘Undead’, please. We don’t want to leave him thus cursed, especially as he is healing so well.”

“So be it. The Captain’s boots are just as militarily shiny as yours,” Lady Zyndyr smiled, “but he complains that those boots are pinching him, so I have left him marching up and down outside in the courtyard trying to wear them in.”

“Come on, then, my dearest, let us be off, for I am fearful tired and sure that I will fall asleep in front of her Majesty and all the Court if we do not get this task done ... and my reputation as a swashbuckling wielder of axe and blade and destroyer of evil orcs and fighting two successful battles with a murdering dragon, will be reduced to imitators snorting and snoring in my shame in all the taverns of this town!”

The Captain didn’t look at all undead, Korwyn thought when he stepped outside. Seeing him stand ramrod straight in the smartest of uniforms, the gold brocade gleaming in the soft, warm late afternoon sunshine, Korwyn was greatly reminded of his father, by the sight of this soldier returned almost as if from the grave. Lord Hadryn was once a Captain of the Imperial Guard at the start of Korwyn’s own short service of two years, over 13 years earlier when Korwyn was a mere skinny sapling of just 18 years.

Korwyn stretched out a hand in greeting that the Captain gripped and shook formally and with solemn gravity.

“Well, you clean up very nice, Commander,” Korwyn grinned, at the former enemy, betrayed by the deposed King of Man and was long ago one of many a victim of Hawkshart, now therefore an ally, “or shall we more accurately call you ... Captain?”

“Either title will do my Lord,” he replied, his brow furrowed, “even though I wear one of Lady Zyndyr’s healing webs under this rather uncomfortable officer’s hat, my memories of this place are still but only vaguely familiar in a dreamlike way. My head feels uncommonly warm, but at least I feel no manifestation of dizziness nor disorientation. The Lady assures me that all in good time, my memories should return as and when the healing web feels I could mentally cope with the enormity of them. Just the thought of what these healing webs can do fills me with wonder.”

“And do you look forward to getting your lost memories back, Captain?” Korwyn asked, “and please, there is no need to call me ‘Lord’, just Korwyn will do. I have only but a tiny coastal manor on the edge of this kingdom to call my own, am wearing the uniform of a common merk and you are clearly wearing that Captain’s uniform as if it is truly a part of what you were once and more like who you are now.”

For a moment, the Captain allowed a hint of a smile on his lips, “And almost all the time I have known you sir, you have been a General of a mighty and invincible army, proven and tempered by inspired triumph upon triumph! And the soldiers of the castle here, who have gone out of their way to speak to me, say that your army is unique in being formed from two different and previously quite quarrelsome nations, forming brothers in arms who are United together in a common cause. Not to mention your third unique flying army! You sir, are no simple rural merk, but an accomplished and inspiring leader of all manner of powerful creatures who would follow you from one corner to every other corner you want them.”

“Ah, well, I was lucky in the timing of the flying ‘army’. They were not volunteers like the rest of my troops, and all were new-born babies who just wanted food and drink.”

“Still a memorable entrance, General. And I do have mixed feelings, my Lord Korwyn, of apprehension rather than fear about my returning memories. At least I am feeling a flood of emotions, which I am trying to contain and not become overwhelmed by them. That is an improvement on how I have been existing for the last, I believe, ten years or more since both my mind and heart were taken from me and bonded into servitude for a master that cared naught if I lived or died and wouldn’t thank me now even if I served him still. No, My Lord Korwyn and My Lady Zyndyr, I owe you both much, in fact I owe you everything.”

“We must hurry now,” interjected the Corporal while the Captain drew breath, emotions etched clear on the Captain’s face.

The Corporal had been hovering around them ever since they left the parade ground in front of the castle, overseeing all the procedures in their readiness to be presented in Court and saw the pause as an opportunity, “My apologies in rushing you, my Lords, Lady, but I fear we mustn’t keep the Court and Her Majesty waiting any longer.”

“Of course not,” Lady Zyndyr smiled at the efficient Corporal, standing smartly to attention before them, reminding them of their duties as guests of the host Monarch, “please lead on.”


It took Clive a matter of only six days to sort out everything he needed to enable a smooth move to take on his dream job in California, where he would soon be joined by his children. After Carole had heard that the Company would pay all school and future university fees as well as medical bills all the while that Clive was with the Company, she conceded that he should be the primary cared and that she would visit them between school terms.

Clive finally had to own up to Carole that his new dream job was a permanent one and, although for the first six months he had to be based in Santa Monica, once he took up the direct responsibilities of his VP position he could be based almost anywhere in the world. However, for the first few years, being in California was probably the most convenient base for him and, if he continued as sole parent, he would stay at a fixed address until the children finished school and further education in about fifteen years’ time.

Until their divorce was completed, Carole was still married to Clive and therefore eligible for free return flights at the rate of four per year. Once divorced, though, as mother of his children, the Company were still prepared to pay for flights at the rate of two per year.

Clive decided to let his rented flat go, conceding part of his deposit. The Company also found an apartment for him to use with room for himself and the children, which included room for a live-in Nanny, giving him at least six months to sort out an alternative apartment or house wherever he decided to settle.

Carole’s mother June decided to join her son-in-law Clive and act as child carer and the children and her would follow him out to Santa Monica at the end of the present school term. Up until now June had only worked a part-time job in a local retail shop, so she was more than happy to give that up and be with the grandchildren. Clive insisted he pay her, especially after a family lawyer from the firm of lawyers used by the Company advised him that child expenses could be partly set against any alimony agreed with Carole.

June cheekily said that she wouldn’t cramp his style if he wanted to go out clubbing, it was after all Carole’s philandering that ended the marriage and Clive had the right to enjoy his life without her. June’s husband was retired but didn’t want to give up his allotment at this productive time of the year, so he stayed behind. He had a good Civil Service pension and was happy to make short visits to California with longer stays outside the usual growing and harvesting seasons.

Once she heard the barest details of his new career, Carole tried to get Clive to drop the divorce proceedings, pointing out that the move would give them both a chance to realign their marriage and she could give notice at the school and move to California with the children when completed their school year.

Clive declined to allow Carole the opportunity to re-establish their marriage, but he did agree to delay settlement of the divorce until the six months’ training into the workings of the Company was complete, and got his solicitor to establish a legal separation instead to protect his income and credit standing.

Clive flew out to California on a Thursday and had until Monday to get his body clock used to the new sleep pattern and find his way around the locality. Every day of the week, including Saturday he had at least an hour Skype meeting with both Brock and Deidre and with various other individuals that he would be meeting in his line of work. Occasionally Deidre couldn’t make the meeting but then she usually called him either before or after the meeting to discuss any outstanding points he needed to know about taxes, the healthcare package, ensuring his UK state pension and his old employer pension accumulated under English law was combined with his new pension and would comply with US Federal and State laws.

On Sundays, he was often invited to join other senior members of the board based in the area, to build relationships that would hopefully last for the duration of his working life and beyond.

Clive found that his particular relationships with Brock and Deidre became very relaxed and important points of contact to him that he looked forward to with relish, just as much as his calls every other day to his children.


On a gentle thermal glide, the Red Dragon squawked, as soon as he saw Korwyn’s party come round a corner and head towards the Royal Court Chamber entrance, to alert Princess Glendora who sat looking tiny on his back. She had become so completely at ease high above the world she had up until now only seen looking up. Red swooped in low over the entrance where they had made several flights from.

Princess Glendora waved with one hand and smiled at the group. A Governess nearby held the baby Prince Fantym is her arms, while the animated child pointed out the Dragon which sailed over and soared back up into the sky, the baby gurgling in delight as the Dragon squawked during the climb to acknowledge the arrival of his adopted parents before performing another flight around the castle and city.

The Corporal leading the arriving group, stood to one side as the two groups merged, with cuddles for the Royal Prince, although the formerly Undead Captain restricted himself to formal handshakes, uncertain in his correct role in the manner of decorum.

Inside, the Queen had been informed of their arrival outside the Court Chamber by a servant and she rushed out to greet them, to personally escort them inside as a show of the Nation’s gratitude to a triumphantly returning Son of Mankind, a cousin of the young Royal Children, and his companions in recognition of seeing justice served.

Korwyn was just adjusting his grand new belt and scabbard for his dwarf sword, when he was warmly embraced by the Queen, once his childhood friend and now an aunt by marriage. Korwyn introduced the Queen to his wife, Zyndyr as Warrior-Elf, General of his Army, his pregnant wife and now therefore a niece of the Queen. The Queen stretched out both her arms to embrace her warmly.

“Come, Zyndyr, you are my first niece-in-law, you are family and we will hug as family as we should, though now I also hug you on behalf of the gratitude of all my people by helping free us from the tyranny of a murderous king, even if that charge is still to be legally confirmed by the Court. How wonderful it is that you are pregnant, my dear Zyndyr, I will ensure you are seated inside next to me. Sometimes,” she added quietly, “these courtly proceedings can be tedious, and I remember how my back and feet felt while carrying my babies. When are you due, my dear?”

“Five more months, your Majesty,” Zyndyr replied.

“Mona, please call me Mona, when we are together informally like this,” Queen Pleasmona insisted, “And you must constantly remind your husband to do the same, we were dear childhood friends once, not so long ago, we are only a year apart in age. Now we are family together again, I feel nothing but love for you all. Other than that of being Mother to my devoted children, I have felt rather unloved throughout my marriage but I was advised at the time of betrothal that I had little choice but to acquiesce when the King insisted on him marrying me.”

“Thank you, your, er, Mona, I had no idea when I married your nephew what I was getting myself into, but it is a pleasure to know that I have a larger family in this world once more,” Zyndyr replied, “Now, can we introduce you to a friend who was briefly my former enemy and fellow prisoner, the Commander of Orcs—”

As soon as Queen Pleasmona set eyes on the Captain, she immediately recognised him and interrupted Zyndyr’s introduction with both a hand up to stop the conversation and an exclamation from her own lips.

“Fydryk!” the Queen spat out, her eyes wide open in shock, “Is that really you? It is! It cannot be but yet it really is! We thought you fell dead at Hawkshart! We ... my mother and I ... we saw the Elvish arrow hit the Corporal riding immediately beside you, but then we saw you lead a charge of the Imperial Guard immediately around you at the Elf foot soldiers. Then there was fire and smoke and someone cried out that there were dragons attacking and the Guard standing around the King were completely consumed by dragonfire and then we saw you no more ... until now.”

The Queen looked faint and fell into a swoon, Korwyn reacted quickest and, bending down onto one knee caught her before anyone else could react and prevented her from injury. He supported her neck and ensured she was breathing. Zyndyr was next to him in an instant, drawing a small glass vial from her pouch, unstoppered the vessel and waved it under the Queen’s nose, waking her up with a start.

“Hartshorn spirit,” Zyndyr, whispered to Korwyn, “before you ask what it is, it is of Elvish fashion, an ammoniac astringent made from a distillate of shavings from a hart’s horn; removing the cork-bark stopper releases volatile vapours which stimulate sensors in the nose and wakes you up.”

The Queen’s eyes opened and she was immediately aware of where she was and what happened. Korwyn and Zyndyr helped her rise.

She pointed at the Captain and clearly stated, though taking huge deep breaths between every phrase, “You are Crown Prince Fydryk ... who was a serving Captain in the Imperial Guard ... until the glorious march to Hawkshart Plain ... above ten years ago ... I, and my family ... my mother particularly ... believed that you had been burned alive ... in the attack by the Black Dragon. Do ... do you remember me, Sire?” she enquired of the Captain.

“Your Majesty, I believe I was an Imperial Guards Captain at Hawkshart, so everyone tells me, and that I and five of my men were taken hostage by the Black Dragon, but I do not yet have memories of any... ‘Fidrik’ did you say?” the Captain replied evenly and without emotion, “Lady General Zyndyr is helping me with my recovery and hopes that in time my memories will be restored to me.”

“You are Prince Fydryk, of that I am without any doubt,” she said with a voice of certainty, “a career officer you were, once Crown Prince and heir to your noble father King Eldryndre The Wise.”

She turned to the others. “I know him well because my widowed mother Fyrheena, was betrothed to the Crown Prince for five years before Hawkshart. Korwyn knows that my own father was an ordinary soldier killed in a skirmish with Bandits when I was but 3 years old, an only child of my parents’ union. The Crown Prince here became my guard-father appointed by custom upon my first birthday. Prince Fydryk was charged by my mother and father with a child’s protection should my father ever fall in battle, a tradition long followed by fellow members of the Imperial Guards, drawn by lot.”

The Captains spread his arms, indicating that he remembered nothing of this.

“As my guard-father,” the Queen continued, “Prince Fydryk moved my mother Fyrheena and me into our own comfortable quarters at the castle, drew us into the Royal Family as a result of this obligation upon my father’s death in service. When I was old enough I attended daily classes with Fydryk’s nephew Korwyn here during the time he spent with his grandparents, and they insisted on long visits from their only grandchild. And, in the fullness of time passed and mourning duly served, Fydryk couldn’t help falling in love with my mother Fyrheena, a commoner but a beautiful person. King Eldryndre The Wise, was a little unhappy about his eldest son wanting to marry a commoner, especially as his second son had already given up the title of Prince in order to retire to the coast for his wife’s health and the king urged the couple to delay marriage and enjoy a long engagement. Korwyn and I were almost the same age and we attended the school here in the Palace together and became closer than friends but no closer than brother and sister.” She said that last sentence looking at Zyndyr.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.