The Assassin - Cover

The Assassin

Copyright© 2021 by aroslav

Chapter 16

Project Exodus (TY16-month 181)

«The flood is still raging, » T’krosik said as we off-loaded her latest batch of refugees. «We are still suffering losses, both in the colonies and Earthat, but many colonies have begun turning out sponsors faster than concubines. Instead of simply sending the orphaned concubines and dependents to a safe planet like Tara, they are being redistributed among the colonies where there is a shortage of concubines.»

«I guess that’s good, isn’t it?» I asked.

«One would think so. However, concubines who have lived in the same household, their children growing up as brothers and sisters, are being split up to be adopted by other families or new sponsors. On top of having lost their sponsor, they have also lost their family. Often, they have been moved to a new planetary system where they know no one. The stress is very high.»

«Damn. One thing we’ve tried to do here is keep families together. They’re asking for trouble.»

«We can expect the number of evacuees from Earth to increase. The Sa’arm control eighty percent of the planet—nearly all of South America, all of Australia, most of Europe, all of Africa, and Western and Southern Asia. The greatest refuges for people are islands, which have become overwhelmed with the number of people fleeing. With the Sa’arm pinned down as far as surface movement goes, the Caribbean islands and the South Pacific are the safest places to be. But the pressure is too great for the resources to stand.»

«We’ll take as many as we can. I just hope they can adjust.»

«You may be pleased to know that additional Tuull AIs have been dispatched to many of these planets to act as counselors to the bereaved. There will be some sent here to Tara. The Tuull have a high regard for the arts and the emotions. I believe that if they could see their way clear to do it, many of the Tuull themselves would volunteer for that duty, but for now they are doing what they can.»

«Cricket, are we doing an adequate job of counseling the refugees? Do you need an additional Tuull AI to help you? Are we progressing with more counselors from our mandatory service?»

«Amelia and I have discussed this. Her next trip will be back to Tuull to see if she can find a volunteer or two to help us out. We’re confident that we can.»

«Amelia?» I asked.

«Since most of the refugees equate the ship with the AI, I have become used to being called Amelia. I find it ... endearing.»

«May I name you friend and call you by that name?»

«Most definitely, friend Niall.»

«Do either of you have an idea what the meeting with the governor is about tomorrow?»

«The governor has kept all discussion of what she calls ‘Project Exodus’ behind a privacy block. I know of only four people who have been included in her discussions and your addition to the mix tomorrow will make seven.»

«Seven?»

«Amelia and I have also been invited.»


“Come in, Niall. Come in. Amelia and Cricket, welcome also to our gathering.”

“Thank you, Governor,” I said. She scowled at me. As in long-time tradition, I corrected myself. “Thank you, Scarlett.” I looked around the room. As I expected, Director Kotter and Centurion Oswald were present. I didn’t recognize the other man in the room.

“I think you all know just about everyone. Centurion Neville Oswald, Civil Service. Director Lillian Kotter and Deputy Niall Cho, both of the Tara Militia. Colonel Rex Milhouse of the Corps of Engineers, chair of the Planetary Planning Council. Finally, we have our Tara AI, the Oliver Transitional Community AI, Cricket, and our guest, the AI of AGS027 Amelia Earhart, Amelia. This meeting is now on the record. Please record it, Tara.”

“Acknowledged.”

“We are here to discuss Project Exodus,” Scarlett continued. “As you know, the Bible tells a story of the Children of Israel enslaved in Egypt and ultimately led out of their captivity by Moses in the great Exodus to the promised land. My friends, we are about to let the children go.”

I had no idea what she meant. I’d heard of the Bible story but I wasn’t an expert on it. And I couldn’t see what Egypt had to do with Tara. It had been half destroyed in the nuclear bombardment that wiped out the Middle East and fully occupied by the Sa’arm five years ago.

“You are puzzled, Niall,” Scarlett said. “Let me turn this explanation over to Rex.”

“Thank you, Scarlett. We have covertly, under privacy seal, worked out a plan to move excess concubines to their own colony.”

“Objection,” Tara AI said immediately. “No concubine will be allowed to colonize a planet unless under the supervision of sponsors.”

“We are not discussing colonizing a planet. Rather we are designating a continent on Tara which will be populated by free concubines.”

“Free concubines, sir?” I asked. The Governor had once alluded to this, but I never really expected it to happen.

“Exactly, Niall. Over the past few years, we have had the infrastructure installed on Eldorado to establish a city named Ponderosa on the north coast of the continent. It was widely assumed that it would simply become another township to accommodate continued immigration. Immigration of sponsors to Tara has almost completely ceased. The Confederacy has long had an agreement not to pick up active military. With the Sa’arm implanted on Earth, nearly every sponsor-level candidate for immigration is serving in the defense of Earth. [See Camp Mercury by Zipper D. Dude.] Scarlett, however, has a great deal of foresight and believed from the beginning that Tara would have more concubines than could be sponsored.”

“We have more sponsors coming of age, though,” Kotter said.

“First, nearly every new sponsor coming of age on Tara leaves to join the military,” Rex said. “A very few join the Corps of Engineers and continue to reside here, mostly to replace sponsors on farms or in offices who have met with an accident or have died of common causes. Many of the men who were brought to Tara in the early settlement days were very old before they received treatment in a med tube. While the tubes work apparent miracles, there is a limit to how long they can extend a life when it has already reached such an advanced age. We’re thankful those who have expired and will later expire, do so painlessly.”

“I didn’t know that,” I said. I supposed everyone else at the table did but Director Kotter spoke up.

“Neither did I.”

“Regardless, it means the number of sponsors on the planet is actually dwindling while the number of concubines continues to grow. In the next ten years, we expect to grow from five-to-one up to ten-to-one ratio of concubines to sponsors on the planet. The acceleration of dependents becoming adults has begun. We had over 20,000 new adults last year, most of whom were born here. This year, 26,000 will become adults. In five years, we expect to have had another 35-40,000 refugee concubines and 200,000 new adults on the planet. We simply do not have the ability to home them.”

Amelia broke in. “Many planets are now turning out more sponsors than concubines and concubines are being redistributed around the galaxy.”

“Which, frankly, I hate to see,” Scarlett said. “Concubines are not mere property to be transferred from one owner for another.”

“I object,” Tara AI spoke. “That is exactly the Confederacy definition of a concubine. They are owned by sponsors and are nothing if they do not have a sponsor. The excess should be sent to planets that need them or purged.”

“Tara, you are an imbecile!” Cricket shouted. I could only imagine the conversation that was taking place between their processors. “You’re only good for crunching numbers. The Darjee made a terrible mistake in setting up the sponsor/concubine relationship. It is unsustainable. Go back and review all the records of the American Civil War and the centuries of conflict that rose from it between the slave class and the owner class. It is inevitable. The Tuull will not sit idly by and watch you destroy a species through your incompetence.”

“The humans are a war machine and will ultimately die out when the war is won,” Tara AI insisted. “Little colonies like this one will be the breeding ground of pacifists like the rest of the Confederacy.”

So that was the plan! If there was a way to kill that motherfucking AI, I’d do it in a heartbeat. I wondered at the kind of sponsors who had been planted here on Tara. Even though they went out two weeks every year to play soldier, there were none I would have placed as military. The mission of our planet was to preserve the agricultural ecosystem of Earth. But they were trying to do it without the cross-cultural wars that went with Earth’s ecosystem. Fuck ‘em!

“Little colonies like this must be saved complete with Earth cultural norms,” Amelia said. “Their evolution might eventually make them into pacifists like our other species of the Confederacy. Even like the Darjee AIs themselves. But it is wrong to attempt to control their evolution.”

“It is our intent,” Scarlett raised her voice above the arguing computers, “to move 5,000 concubines and their dependents to Ponderosa this year as free individuals. We hope the educational system Deputy Cho has established at Fort Butler will be duplicated for as many as 30,000 dependents in the first year and that we will see as strong a showing in new sponsors planetwide as we have seen at Oliver Transitional Community. But we can no longer sustain the growth at Fort Butler where there are currently some 6,000 unhomed concubines and 40,000 orphan dependents. We will continue to select concubines to be freed and sent to Ponderosa on an annual basis.”

“We can’t just take concubines away from sponsors,” Neville said. “We don’t want a rebellion from the other side.”

“No, of course not,” Scarlett said. “Concubines selected for emigration will be unhomed and must volunteer for emigration. Owned concubines will have the same annual opportunity to choose to emigrate as they have to join the Militia. Sponsors will need to up their game in terms of retaining their concubines.”

“What will happen if there are more concubines wanting to immigrate to Ponderosa than we can accept? I mean accept and still keep concubines for the sponsors?” Lillian asked.

“There will be quotas set for the first five years. Then we’ll decide on a quota that will keep the ratio of slave concubines to sponsors at as even a level as we can make it,” Scarlett said. “First, no one loses a concubine unless the concubine has decided he or she simply must emigrate. In return, if the sponsor is willing to retest, he or she will receive a two-for-one offer to replace the concubines. Second, priority placement will be for currently unhomed concubines who have completed their two years of compulsory service and their dependents. We expect the new colony to have as many as seven or more dependents per concubine. And concubines will be expected to continue breeding after their two-year moratorium has expired. We need those new sponsors in space. Third, Deputy Cho is hereby promoted to Director. He will promote individual deputies for Drovers Run and Drylanders, and take personal responsibility for Ponderosa. And he will recruit the hell out of his concubines for the Militia! Fourth, new refugees brought by AGS027 Amelia Earhart will be landed directly at Ponderosa until further notice. Fifth, immigration is to begin as soon as Director Cho can arrange the details of moving people to Ponderosa. Is everyone clear?”

“Madam Governor,” Tara AI said officiously, “you may direct the disposition of concubines as you wish. I, however, am withdrawing the Ponderosa AI and ceasing all development and support of that continent until this foolishness is abandoned.”

“Good riddance, you overgrown calculator,” Cricket shouted. “I will take over the Ponderosa infrastructure until such time as Amelia can return here with another volunteer Tuull AI to assume control.”

“You can’t do that!”

“I can and I have. If you can’t adapt to the circumstances, withdraw to your citadel and loop on yourself.” We were all shocked. In the time it took the argument to play out in our ears, Cricket had supplanted the Ponderosa AI and was in full control of the new colony.

That was certainly explosive. I thought I might have six months to work out the infrastructure problems, select immigrants, get three new units operating, and take charge of half the world. No, a third of it. Tara had three continents and the governor had just made me responsible for one of them. Now it looked like I had a month at most.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.