The Archer's Apprentice - Cover

The Archer's Apprentice

Copyright© 2021 by TonySpencer

Chapter 25: Ride!

(Robin of Oaklea narrates)

It is the middle of the night and the full moon helps our progress as we approach the Priory at Lichfield. We are all deeply sore and tired and look forward to sleep, but Brother Canon Ranulf drives us on. He is unstoppable!

There had been no sign of Lady Elinor’s mother, recently made Lady Elsbeth Elliott, of the tiny estate of an inn and garden at Pitstone. We had arrived there, after changing our mounts twice, and collecting four more Brothers of different orders, who are accompanying us to the end of our journey. The influence and prestige of Rebecca, our friend and banker, seems to know no bounds. At each stop we are given an audience with the Priory Abbot, each one of them insisting on blessing us on our mission as if it were God’s own, instead of under the protection of a woman of a different faith, which the Mother Church in Rome would consider heresy. Such appears the independence of these priories and their concern with the protection of their trade and way of life among the anarchy caused by those who regard themselves as our ruling class.

My grimace of agony turns to a grin of pleasure as I realise I sound more like my father in his absence than with, my independence of thought so alike his.

Lady Elinor was clearly upset that her mother had been taken. Despite Rebecca’s fears, she had never believed it possible. The Inn’s maids and servants were nervous at our presence, worried that we would blame them for being unable to prevent the abduction.

“She went more’n willing,” the Overseer of ‘The Three Horseshoes’ had told us, a red faced middle aged woman, running slightly to fat, chewing her lip nervously, describing what happened. “She even changed into a black bliaut an’ cloak with hood, so she was almost alike, ‘cept by stature, as all them what she rode away with. They appeared big, strong men. They was Knights, not unlike your guard.”

Our “guard”, the Augustinian Canons and the other Friars, wear black and had arrived here all armed to the teeth, though discreetly, and they do look like Knights, whether from a distance or close up.

Lady Elinor and the Overseer had embraced in mutual comfort, following the exchange.

Brother Ranulf had showed us a brief message received by pigeon from Rebecca, written on the tiniest scrap of parchment.

“It is written in a code based on Latin,” Ranulf had explained, “it says that if Lady Elinor’s mother is not here than she has already been taken to Oaklea. We must leave tonight, now, if we are to reach Oaklea sometime tomorrow. We will reach Lichfield by the middle of the night, and sleep for two hours only, rising at the Office of Matins and ride on.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.