American Teen - Cover

American Teen

Copyright© 2021 by Aaron Stone

Chapter 8

My next morning started out like all the rest, except my mom, was out milking the cows after I fetched the eggs.

“Just making sure that you’re okay, Tommy,” she smiled.

I told her I was, but she shooed me away for breakfast anyway.


I knew that today would not be my day the moment I got on the bus.

“I’m gonna kick your ass, you punk!” glared Tim Walton.

“Yeah, whatever, you moron.” I glared back.

“Back of the bus, Walton,” muttered Mr. Smithers and Tim moved.

Then I heard another voice. “Think you’re a tough guy, attacking a girl?!” yelled Jacob Turner, a kid my age. We weren’t friends or anything, but I never had a problem with him before. He always seemed fairly annoying in general. Now that his attention was focused on me, he seemed more annoying than usual.

“What are you talking about, Jake?” I asked, trying to keep my temper.

“He’s talking about what you did Friday night,” said David Lincoln, one of the few black kids at my school.

“Look, I don’t know what you’ve heard, but I’ve never attacked a girl, let alone some girl on Friday night.”

“Look, you punk, we all know you did it. I’d watch your back if you know what’s good for you!” said Jake.

I was ripped. People were listening to rumors and acting like they were facts. I decided to make an example out of Jake.

“Well, I’ve done nothing wrong, Jake. You don’t know what you’re talking about, but any time you want to dance with me, just let me know the time or place,” I snarled.

Jake looked wary. He was now about an inch or so taller, but he was even skinnier than me. He probably heard about me taking down a kid who was now in high school. Jason Martz was bullying Karl last year. At the time, Martz had me by at least thirty pounds and about seven inches, but it didn’t matter. It was the last time anybody picked on Karl.

“So you’re saying you didn’t attack Janie Parker because she wouldn’t put out?” asked David.

“No. I can’t go into all the details because it’s a police matter, but I protected Janie, not attacked her. I’m surprised you guys would believe a lying punk like Walton over me,” I said, remembering what Johnny had told me after church.

David nodded. At least he seemed willing to give me the benefit of the doubt. Jacob was still being a punk.

“I saw her stringing you along last week, Matthews. The story rings true.”

“Well, you keep your fat, unfounded opinions to yourself, you punk or you’ll be trying your luck against my skill,” I menaced. Jake had the good graces to gulp when I said that.


It didn’t get any better when I got to school. In fact. It got worse. I faced a continuous glare from practically everybody who saw me. It wasn’t just students. The librarian, Mrs. Hicks, came right up to me on my way to homeroom and said “Shame on you for coming to school today when your victim isn’t here!”

I was dumbfounded. My shock had dulled my awareness and it almost cost me. Suddenly I was pushed into the janitor’s closet with Tyler Thornbush, who was the biggest eighth-grader in school. He was a football teammate of Tim Walton. When he went to grab me, I kneed him as hard as I could to his groin and he collapsed at my feet bawling his eyes out. I stepped over him and shoved past a group of onlookers and walked to homeroom.

On my way to first period, I was grabbed by Mr. Seiling the Vice-Principal and almost literally dragged to the Principal’s office. While Mr. Seiling was a tough guy, the Principal, Mr. Martin seemed like the prissy type.

“Well, Mr. Matthews, what do you have to say for yourself?” asked my principal

“I’m not sure what you mean,” I responded innocently.

“First of all, you have no business being in school today after what you did.”

You’ve got to be kidding me, I thought.

“And what did I do and before you answer that question, how are you so sure that I did anything you are accusing me of doing?” I asked, trying to give him my best John Matthews glare. This was Dad 101. Put the other guy on the defensive and look ticked off. Yes, Dad taught me that lesson well.

“Everyone knows what you did to another student Friday night.”

“And what am I supposed to have done?”

“Attacked a girl.”

I rolled my eyes, another great Dad tactic. By doing this, you’re basically using body language to ask the other person ‘how could you be so stupid?’

“Let me ask you something, Mr. Martin. If I did what you are accusing me of doing, then why am I not in juvenile lock-up?”

“Everyone knows your father is a lawyer.”

I grimaced. I was so angry. All I had done was to save a classmate who was in danger and for that, I got treated like the villain by people who should have known better. “So, let’s just get something straight. You’re accusing me of felony assault? Sexual?”

“It would seem that was your goal. You young people are so filthy.”

“You’re accusing me without any prior knowledge or proof?”

“I have it on good authority.”

“Good,” I said, giving the man my best ‘Dad smile.’ It was the same shark-like smile he used on Detective Byars yesterday.

“What are you talking about?”

“I just want to make sure I have all the facts for my lawyer father so he can sue the Board of Education and you personally for slander and defamation.”

Principal Martin paled and sputtered, after I added “After all everybody knows I have a lawyer father who is good at suing people. He certainly gets paid enough to do it.”

“Well, you’re suspended!”

“For allegedly attacking an unnamed student off school grounds on Friday night?”

“And for attacking a student in the halls.”

“Which student?”

“Tyler Thornbush.”

I laughed. I laughed hard. This whole day was a nightmare, but this accusation was so absurd that I had to laugh.

“You find that funny?” he snarled.

“I find it funny that you’d think that I’d walk up and pick a fight with a walking refrigerator. The guy is more than twice my size and you think that I attacked him?”

“That’s what I was told.”

“And you appear to believe everything you’re told.”

I saw Martin’s face turn bright red. I thought he was having a heart attack. “Young man, you are an impudent little whelp! I will do everything in my power to see that you are expelled!” he screamed.

I nodded. I had unnecessarily riled the man up, but I had been so angry. Sometimes I’m my own worst enemy in that way. I sighed. “Okay. My dad is at work in Pittsburgh today. You won’t reach my mother at home...”

“Just what I thought. No guidance at home.”

“I dare you to tell my grandfather that,” I frowned. “If you would have the courtesy not to interrupt, I was going to tell you that my mother volunteers as a nurse at the clinic in town. That’s where she is this morning. You can interrupt her volunteer work by calling her there.”

I was moved to Mr. Seiling’s office and he stood and glared at me.

“I bet you think you’re a tough guy,” he snarled. I had no fear I could take Mr. Martin in a fight if I had to, but Mr. Seiling was one, big can of worms I did not want to open. I tried to appeal to his sense of fairness.

“Mr. Seiling?”

“What?”

“Have you ever seen me in your office in the last year and a half?”

“No,” he answered gruffly.

“Do you know that I have the highest grades in the eighth grade?”

“I always knew you were a smart kid, but that doesn’t mean anything.”

I sighed. “You’ve always seemed like a very reasonable guy.”

He did not answer so I continued. “What I want to know is why everybody thinks I hurt Janie? Are people listening to rumors? I consider her and Jennifer Bridges to be two of my best friends. Why does everybody think I hurt Janie?”

“Because her mother said so,” said Mr. Seiling.

“Did she tell you that personally?”

“No. Principal Martin told me.”

“And she told him?” I asked.

“I don’t know,” he admitted, his voice getting softer each time he said another word.

I nodded. “I didn’t hurt Janie, Mr. Seiling. I swear I didn’t.”

That was the last word either of us said until I heard my mother storm into the outer office. I was surprised at who the other angry adult was who had joined her.

“Where’s my son?!” my mom, the Valkyrie growled, I assumed, at Mrs. Davis the small lady who worked in the office.

“Why is the boy in trouble?!” yelled Nick’s voice.

“Looks like your parents are here,” sighed a much less belligerent Mr. Seiling.

“That’s my mom, but not my dad. She’s with Mr. Bridges.”

Mr. Seiling turned a little green. I guess he knew what Nick’s original family name was.


“But Mr. Bridges, if you’re Mary Jane’s guardian why are you supporting her attacker?” asked Mr. Martin.

Nick looked at my mom. “Frieda, it’s like talking to a pile of rocks,” he said before he turned back to the principal.

“Listen, you mook, I told you that Tommy isn’t responsible for attacking Janie. In fact, he saved Janie from being sexually molested.”

“But that’s not true, I have it on good authority that her mother said...”

“Mr. Martin, do you see her mother here?” asked Mom.

“No, but...”

“Do you think that maybe there is a reason that I am Janie’s legal guardian?” asked Nick.

Principal Martin shrugged his shoulders. “I wouldn’t want to speculate.”

“That seems to be all you’ve been doing since you brought me in here,” I groaned.

“Young man, I’ve heard enough from you!” yelled Mr. Martin.

“He’s talking a heck of a lot more sensibly than you are!” snapped Mom.

“Well, your son is suspended and I will be sure to see him get expelled for what he’s done!”

My mom just shook her head. “He doesn’t really know who he’s messing with, does he, Nick?”

Nick laughed. “Well, you stupid finocchio, you’ve really stepped in it now.”

“There’s no need to get belligerent, Mr. Bridges.”

“True, I think Mr. Martin is doing a fine job with that with his attitude about my son,” said my mom.

“Mom?”

“Yes, Tommy?”

“Are all grown-ups so unreasonable?”

I saw my mom try to suppress a snort, but she couldn’t help herself. Soon she and Nick were laughing as Mr. Martin sputtered.

“Well, is the boy still suspended?” asked Nick.

“Of course!” growled Mr. Martin.

Nick grinned at me. “Then I’m taking you to Little Italy’s for a celebratory lunch. Janie, Jennifer, Emily, Margaret, and Natalie are already waiting for us.”

Mr. Martin looked shocked. “Mary Jane is going to eat with her attacker?”

We all shook our heads at his stupidity and walked out of his office. Mr. Seiling stopped us.

“I want to apologize to you, Tommy. I don’t know for sure if what everyone is saying is true or not but it seems that ‘innocent until proven guilty’ lost out to ‘rush to judgment’ in your case.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.