American Teen - Cover

American Teen

Copyright© 2021 by Aaron Stone

Epilogue

“And now to announce the League MVP. Here is our most honored guest, Bill Mazeroski.”

Three weeks later I was at the East Chilton Babe Ruth League Annual Banquet. I was sitting in the front row with my parents, East Chilton grandparents, Willie, Monique, Jen, Janie and Nick. So far, our team had won a number of honors in addition to our individual championship trophies. Coach Daniels was voted Coach of the Year. Billy, Mike and I had made the All-League 1st team (my buddies Tim and Lionel were also voted to 1st team, too). Paul and Jason had made 2nd team (my friends Johnny, and Eva made 2nd team too). Jeremy and Terry were named Co-pitchers of the year. Lionel was named Rookie of the Year. Now, the Pirates’ hero of the 1960 World Series was about to name the winner of our league M.V. P. Award.

Bill Mazeroski walked up to the dais to a thunderous applause and spoke into the microphone. “Good evening, Ladies and Gentlemen. I’d like to thank the trustees of East Chilton Babe Ruth Baseball for inviting me here tonight. Now I have the honor of announcing the winner of the league MVP. From looking at his stats, placements, and league records he’s set, I can’t imagine this award could go to anybody else. The player set league records with thirteen Home Runs and thirty-five Runs-Batted-In. He also led the league in Batting Average, thus giving him the league ‘Triple Crown’. He was also among the league leaders in runs scored. Just as impressively, he made no errors in the field as a shortstop, which is unheard of, and is regarded as one of the finest defensive players in the league,” he paused before continuing, “I am proud to announce that the 1981 winner of the East Chilton Babe Ruth League Most Valuable Player is Thomas Matthews.”

There was a lot of applause, as I stepped up to the stage and shook an honest-to-God Pirates hero. He handed me my trophy, congratulated me and then pointed me to the microphone. I didn’t have anything written, but my message would be simple.

“Thank you, Mr. Mazeroski. It is an honor to get this award from Pirates royalty. Thanks to the trustees who make this banquet possible and for all the coaches, who give so generously of their time. I want to specially thank Coach Daniels, his father ... also Coach Daniels and all of my Lions teammates. I want to thank all of my friends on other teams too. Most of all, I want to thank all of my family and friends. I want to especially thank Monique, Jennifer and Janie. You three mean the world to me. Thanks again!”

I shook Mr. Mazeroski’s hand again and then Mr. Lipton’s hand, as he was the trustee for East Chilton Babe Ruth Baseball.

I then looked out over the room, just enjoying the moment.


Up to the banquet, a number of things happened in my life. That late Monday morning disciplinary hearing for Mrs. Douglas a few weeks ago was a sham. The charges against her were mostly just rumors and innuendo. They had been planning on giving her a written warning, but Dad made a stink about it. Since there was no proof of any impropriety on Mrs. Douglas’s part, any kind of formal reprimand would be obvious administrative abuse, and a clear violation of her rights according to her union negotiated contract. It was finally decided that a verbal warning would be given, so long as Mrs. Douglas need not bear any acceptance of guilt. While this was a minor victory, we all knew the truth. Mrs. Douglas would not be teaching here in the fall and the school (and town) would be a poorer place for it.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.