American Teen - Cover

American Teen

Copyright© 2021 by Aaron Stone

Chapter 16

Ugh! It was mornings like this when I hated that stupid rooster. I got dressed and dragged my sorry butt down the stairs. It was still cool in early April in western Pennsylvania and damp from yesterday’s rain, so like always, I grabbed my heavy plaid jacket and headed for the hen house after giving my hands a cursory scrub in the kitchen sink. Our multitude of hens must have understood that we had company, because their bounty was generous.

I returned to the house with my large basket and mumbled good morning and my love to both Grandma and Gran. When they winked at me, I knew that they had something special for breakfast planned. I immediately perked up and grinned back at them. Growing boy!

I swear there was a little bounce in my step when I went to see my four-legged girls. After scrubbing down my hands, upper limbs, and her udders, I sat at Daisy’s stool and coaxed a nice morning offering from her, before doing the same to Amber. I then lugged the jugs in to Grandpa who cheerfully accepted them. I then saw Granddad who pulled me aside.

“I think we will need to do the business meeting by phone this evening. My guess is that your folks will be tied up with that little shenanigan you engaged in last night.”

“It wasn’t my fault,” I complained.

He had the good grace to laugh. “I understand, Tommy. Gran and I are very proud of you. Not only were you able to walk away from a potentially dangerous situation without a fight, you are now helping your friends to deal with the aftermath,” he said and then paused before adding, “Tommy, there will always be people who are jealous for what you have and who you are. It’s part of the curse of being a Matthews man.”

“A ‘Matthews man?’ What does that matter?” I asked.

Granddad murmured. “Our foolish behavior so very long ago hasn’t allowed us to be as close as we should have been, Tommy.”

Granddad paused and then asked, “Son, what do you think of your dad?”

“He’s the greatest guy I know.”

Granddad smiled. “Your father is an exceptional man, Tommy. Gran and I are so proud of him and the life he’s built. We are incredibly sad that we haven’t been a part of it, but that’s our fault.”

“Granddad, he’s forgiven you and Gran. He may not have said it yet, but I know it’s true.”

“I believe that too, Tommy. My point is that while your father had some resources from his grandparents, he built his life without the resources he could have had access to and still managed to become one of the most prominent and respected lawyers in the state. Do you know how he accomplished that?”

“No,” I admitted.

“Your father is a natural leader. He’s also brilliant, charming, persuasive and has a forceful personality. People want to be around him as they are naturally drawn to him. I’ve heard this referred to as having ‘Alpha Traits’. These traits are commonly found in social packs of animals and for the most part, have been bred out of humanity.”

“So he’s like an animal, like a werewolf?”

Granddad laughed. “No! But just avoid him when there’s a full moon.”

My eyes grew wide and he laughed some more, as he added, “I’m pulling your leg. It has to do with genetics. It’s a field that studies the characteristics of people both physical and others.”

I laughed “I knew you were only kidding, but played along, just in case.” Granddad laughed and I continued. “We studied it a bit about genetics in Health class, ‘XY’ chromosomes and all of that other stuff.”

“That’s right. So you understand that you get traits from both parents.”

“Yes,” I said and then I thought of something. “And Mom has these traits, too?”

“In spades, Tommy. We did not take the time to get to know your mother like we should have or things would have been very different,” he sighed before continuing. “My point is because of these ‘Alpha traits’ some people will be drawn to you. Others will instinctively want to challenge you. Because your intellect, temperament, and instincts, you have the ability to defuse dangerous situations like you did last night, in a forceful, but logical manner. If you remember this and ‘family first.’ you’ll have a very successful life by trusting your instincts.”

“Granddad, can’t you stay for the meeting and go back tomorrow? You always say ‘family first.’”

Granddad frowned. “Tommy, we are missing a very important part of our family and can’t bear to be apart from her much longer. I know she misses us like crazy, too.”

“I don’t understand.”

“You will later this summer, Tommy. Remember how I said that you and I are an awful lot alike?”

“Yeah.”

“When you meet our Agnes, you’ll understand.”

At first I was confused, but then I remembered. “The woman on the phone when I first called?”

Granddad sighed. “That’s her, but this is a story for another day. I do ask that you please not say anything about Agnes, Tommy. I’ve told you far more than Gran and I intended on telling you.”

Then I understood. Like with Jen, Janie and me, Granddad, Gran and Agnes were not three, they were one.

I smiled. “I understand, Granddad.”

He returned the smile and ruffled my hair with his hand and we went into wash up for breakfast.


Breakfast was amazing. My grandmothers made Eggs Benedict with fresh eggs from our chickens, homemade hollandaise sauce and Canadian style bacon from where else? Of course, Uncle Bo’s smokehouse (of course Bo and his family joined us). Then it was off to church. My Grandparents attended an Episcopal church in Philadelphia. But were happy to attend ours. I drove with Granddad and Gran in their Lincoln Continental on the way to church. “Not sure who was a cooler, Martin Luther King or Martin Luther,” quipped Granddad. He then went on to talk about how the young Luther’s act of nailing his theses to a door of a church in Wittenberg was one of the most important acts in the history of the world. It was the catalyst for the Reformation. Who knew my Granddad was a great historian and theologian?!

Our family section now took up most of three pews and Pastor Bill seemed happy when he gazed out on us. We were still in Lent and Pastor’s sermon dealt with the importance of the season. “Lent is not just about preparing for Christ’s sacrifice and death. Like with Advent preparing our hearts for Christ’s birth, Lent is about preparing our hearts for Christ’s coming again. Christ sacrificed himself for us, but it is by His resurrection that we are truly redeemed,” stated Pastor Bill.

After church, I had little time to hang out with my friends, but did introduce Granddad and Gran to Axel, Karl and Johnny. When we walked out to their car. Granddad put his hand on my shoulder. “You have good friends, I can tell that they’re the kind you can rely on through thick and thin.”

“Such nice young men,” agreed Gran.

“So you’re leaving?” I asked, sad at this fact.

“We’ll be coming back in a couple Thursday’s for Easter,” he smiled.

I then shocked the crap out of them. “Bring her, Gran.”

“Bring who, Tommy?” she asked.

“Grandma Agnes,” I smiled.

Gran put her hand over her mouth.

“Tommy. I don’t...” started Granddad.

“It’s not fair to her not to be with her family. Bring her!” I insisted.

Granddad sighed. “You’re the only one who knows about Agnes. I didn’t even tell you how serious we are about her.”

“It was clear that she was special to you. And you, Gran?”

Gran blushed but nodded.

“I love her even though I have only talked to her once,” I smiled.

“You do?” asked Gran.

I nodded. “I love who my loves love. You are my grandparents and if you love her, she is another grandmother for me.”

Granddad laughed. “You know, she is only forty-six. She probably won’t like the idea of being a grandmother.”

“Hush you. She’s already holding her breath that Rachel will one day give us another grandchild ... uh...” Gran started and then looked sheepishly, as Granddad put his hand over his eyes.

Now it was my turn to be shocked. “Rachel?”

Granddad sighed. “I was hoping that we could put some of this off until the summer because we are just finding our feet with your dad, but it looks like we will need another family meeting after we talk business over the phone tonight.”

I was sworn to secrecy when they left the church parking lot. I figured that my family was in for more drama, but for once it wouldn’t be my doing so I reveled in that fact.


When we got home, Dad called Nick. Apparently, the Berengers and Bridges went to the St. Anne’s, the Roman Catholic Church in town. Nick had set up an appointment for us to meet at their home later to clear the air. Dad called Phil Crenshaw and Billy’s family would be there. Before we left, I called my Grandparent’s number (knowing that Granddad and Gran would not be home yet).

Matthews Residence?” came the same female voice as when I first called last week.

“Is this Grandma Agnes?”

Is this my naughty, new grandson, Tommy, who almost gave their grandparents a heart attack?”

“Sorry, but I didn’t want to wait until summer to meet you. Besides, as Granddad says, ‘family first’ and that includes Rachel too.”

Agnes giggled “You really are a clever young man. Too bad Rachel is your aunt because you seem to be perfectly matched.”

“Ewww ... she’s my aunt. No way!” I laughed.

She’s too old for you anyway. She’s almost seventeen.”

Now it was my turn to be shocked. She was only Lars’ age.

Bet that Everett and Trudy didn’t tell you that,” she giggled.

“Gran kind of slipped up on her name, but now I’m looking forward to meeting her just as much as meeting you.”

Trudy was right. You are such a sweet boy. Tommy?”

“Yes?”

You know that I love your grandparents very much. Not just your grandfather.”

“I’m sure there’s a story there.”

There is. It is really theirs to tell, but at the rate that they’re slipping up, you’ll have everything figured out on your own,” she laughed and added “Let’s just say that I used to be his private secretary and now, I’m officially you’re grandmother’s live-in companion and personal secretary. She graciously took me in when I became with child.”

“Really?” I asked, quite shocked.

Agnes laughed. “Nothing untoward happened Tommy and yes, your grandfather is Rachel’s father. I’ve loved him since the first moment I set eyes on him at my job interview. The funny part is when I saw your grandmother, I thought she was the most elegant and beautiful person I had ever seen. We were all there when Rachel was conceived and though it was an accident, it was the most wonderful thing that could have happened to me.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.