The Society - Cover

The Society

Copyright© 2021 by Peter Pan

Chapter 2

“Caroline.” He said, leaning across the table and taking her hand, which he noted, she made no attempt to extricate herself from.

“The Society has aims and rules which I must explain to you. Its foremost purpose is to restore dignity and direction to the client herself. I know, “client” sounds horribly impersonal ... maybe “contact” is a better term. Exactly how that is to be achieved, is at the sole discretion of the “assigned member” – in your case ... me!

The Society neither interferes or influences the outcome in any way. The basic rule however, is that the assigned person not allow himself to get involved emotionally with the client, as that would compromise both the relationship and the task at hand. On the few occasions that has occurred, the assignee is asked to resign his post immediately.

Now having said that Caroline, I can see already, you’re going to be a challenge!:

Still holding his hand tightly, she smiled across the table at him. “I’ll try not to be,” she whispered.

He smiled back at her. “Well Caroline, I figure the first thing we should do is get to know each other a little better. Doesn’t sound to me like you’ve been out to a decent restaurant for quite a time. Would that appeal to you? “Last time I did that,” she replied, “A work-friend took me to “The Capital Grille” on 4th Avenue. Great restaurant – terrible night. All he talked about the entire evening was work, how great he was at his job, his new Corvette, the world according to Donald Trump and the Seattle Seahawks. I may as well have not been there. If my memory serves me correctly, by 9.40 pm ... I wasn’t!”

Robert chortled. “Well, I’m only new to this job, I drive a plain old Ford Fusion, and couldn’t care less about the NFL. I’d rather go see a movie any day.”

She looked at him. It wasn’t a look to inspire distance between them and it certainly wasn’t a look that suggested she thought a platonic relationship was something that was called for in the immediate future. He made a similar translation himself and relinquished her hand, almost as a gesture of defiance.

Torn suddenly between kissing her and ramping up the psychological support factor that he was there for, Robert sat back in his chair. “OK Caroline ... do you have any favorite restaurant you’d like to go to? It’s Saturday night, so we’ll need to get there early.”

“Well first Robert, let’s ditch the “Caroline.” It’s way too formal. Most people call me “Cari.” Mom always did when she was alive. As for the restaurant, why don’t we go back to the “Capital” and erase all memories of that last encounter. It really is a great steakhouse.”

“Fine by me,” Robert answered. “Just one thing – since you brought up the subject.”

“Yes?” she said.

“I’m Rob...”Robert” is way too formal!” “Couldn’t agree more.” She laughed.

He bent forward to kiss her on the cheek, but she took his hand instead and shook it. “We have to stay impartial – remember?” she giggled. Robert smiled and quickly made arrangements to pick her up from her home at 5.45 pm.

As she drove home, she felt for the first time in years – total exhilaration. Something completely foreign to her these days. The evening she knew would rejuvenate her outlook and mindful of “The Society’s” rules, she was determined to take advantage of whatever the evening offered. Caroline’s home on Dayton Avenue North in Green Lake, was barely a twenty minute drive from the city center, and having picked her up at 5.45. precisely, Robert pulled into a parking space close to “The Capital” on 4th, shortly after 6 pm. Exiting the car first, he zipped around the other side and opened the door for her.

“Yeah, well Wayne never did that for me,” she remarked, “and getting out of a Corvette that just about sits on the road, isn’t that easy for a girl. Thank you Rob.”

“You’re welcome Cari,” he responded. “Hey you’re right, that does sound better!” he added as an afterthought. They were seated promptly in what was probably the pick of the Capital’s tables, set in a cosy bay window, pleasantly distanced from other tables, most of which were populated by affluent looking middle-aged couples. At the request of their server, a dour-looking but immaculately dressed mannequin, who spoke in pre-programmed spurts and who could well have been Rowan Atkinson’s brother, Rob ordered a bottle of Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc which appeared, not three minutes later.

Indispersed with frequent refills of the Sauvignon, they consumed their appetisers, Caroline having ordered pan-fried calamari and Robert, a lobster bisque. If they had wanted to know more about each other, the wine and ambience combined, played their parts to perfection, and by the time their entrees arrived, they each had enough background information on the other, to at least, let’s say, maintain an on-going interest.

The sliced filet mignon with wild mushrooms, was much to Rob’s satisfaction, while Caroline’s dry-aged New York strip left her smiling contentedly – much like the second bottle of the Cloudy Bay.

“Are you OK to drive?” she giggled, as they approached the Fusion. “That I am.” he partially slurred. The fact is, neither of them would have passed a sobriety test to even get on a roller coaster. They made it back to Dayton Avenue without incident however.

“Would you like to come in or a coffee Rob?” she asked – more out of politeness than anything else.

“Sure,” he replied – more out of need for a rest-room than any underlying expectations.

She had the coffees ready when he returned from the bathroom. They sat opposite one another at the little breakfast nook, neither knowing quite how to start a new conversation. “Great night huh?” Rob volunteered. She looked at him for a moment, evidently deciding she should be the aggressor. Thus, putting her coffee back down on the table, she walked around to his stool, and leaning forward, kissed him on the cheek. He didn’t need a script.

Whether by intent, or good fortune on Rob’s part, but by inclining her head to kiss him like that, she rendered his eyes a murderously hot view down her cleavage, together with other associated curved wonders. His eyes betrayed his needs and standing up to hold her to him, he glanced towards the stairs just outside the kitchen doorway.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.