Stray Cats Hunt in Darkness - Cover

Stray Cats Hunt in Darkness

Copyright© 2021 by Jody Daniel

Chapter 12

It was a clear and sparkling morning. After yesterday evenings rain, there was not a cloud to see anywhere on the horizon. I could just about make out the far reaches of the escarpment, as it dropped to the plains of Mpumalanga Province in the east.

The green mountain of the Songozwi in Soutpansberg to the north and east of Louis Trichardt rose majestically before me. The peak, 1747 metres above sea level, known as Lajuma, was showing blue-grey to the west.

The mountain range, named after the salt pan at its western reaches, was a UNESCO biosphere reserve since 2009. It includes the Makgabeng Plateau, Makulee wetlands and the Mapungubwe cultural landscape. The reserve also includes the Blouberg mountain range, as well as the Kruger National Park.

Glimmering in the early morning sun, the Levubu river flowed along a little higher after the rain of yesterday, lazily winding its way past the farms of Levubu.

The Soutpansberg Mountain gave birth to the river, now the river carries water to near Pafuri, on the border with Zimbabwe, where it will merge with the Limpopo river. But here, near Louis Trichardt and Levubu, the farmers along the river depend heavily on the life-giving water for the irrigation of their crops. My dad was one of those farmers.

I flew along the river, just high enough to bypass the high tension electric cables of ESKOM as they hung from pylon to pylon. The helicopter purred along like a kitten. She was happy, and I sensed it in every vibration of the airframe, skipping along on the air currents like a carefree teenager. Then the familiar scenery came into view. My word, Dad has trimmed the big old tree! Afraid that I may miss the patch and hit the tree? Well, it looks good.

I flew over the house and stables, circling into a three sixty-degree turn to test the wind. Nope. Only a slight breath of an early morning breeze. I brought the helicopter in over the open field in line with the house, slowing down the airspeed with a nose high attitude. Yes, there’s a reception committee.

One tiny blond teenager was biting her nails in pent-up excitement. I hope she sees the rotors still turning before running out! The other “teenager,” standing balancing on one crutch, was holding Lucy back by keeping the one crutch out in front of Lucy, in a fruitless attempt to stop her. To the side, Mom and Dad stood grinning.

The rotors were still pitching up and down after stopping, when a blond lightning streak flashed over to the patch of soil where I landed. The rest of the reception committee came on at a more leisurely pace.

Getting out of the helicopter, I had a little petite blond wrapped around me.

“Missed you! Missed you lots!” Lucy said as she clung to me. Well, so much for being all apprehensive. The little pumpkin was really missing me.

“Missed you too, Sunshine,” I said “Now let me greet the rest.” I got a kiss on my cheek.

“Let’s go! Lisa missed you too. Be nice to her...” Lucy said.

“Why?” I asked.

“She’s shy, but I can see she’s pining for you,” Lucy said.

“Oh...” It was all I could say before the rest of the team came up to us.

“Welcome home Son. Let’s get you up to the house and settled. Where’s your bags?” Dad greeted. Mom got a peck on the cheek and Lisa a hug and also a peck on the cheek.

“Hello Mom, Dad, Lisa. I need to first freshen up a bit. You won’t believe, but I paid six and a half million for this little whirly bird, and it ain’t got an air-conditioner. Had to open that small window on the side, for a breeze,” I said.

“Yeah, like those three hundred thousand Rand cars with the indicator lights as optional extras.” Dad laughed.

“At least those cars have them, it’s just that the drivers don’t use them,” I said.

We all trooped back to the house. Dad and Mom were leading the way, hand in hand. I had my bag over my shoulder, Lucy’s arm around my waist from the right and Lisa, click-clicking with her crutches on my left. What a welcome! I must do it more often.

“You staying till Friday?” Lisa asked.

“Yeah. Don has got some air-show gig in Botswana and wants me to take the Imp over there with him.”

“Shame, I can’t go. Don’t have a passport...” Lucy said, a little dejected. I stopped in my tracks.

“Lucy, Lisa, we need to talk. I have a little idea that will be a surprise to you all. I gave it some thought, and Don might help a bit, but it is a good one,” I said.

“Okay, let’s get you settled in. Then we have coffee and some nice breakfast, or brunch first.” Giggle. “Can’t talk serious stuff on an empty stomach,” Lisa said.


With breakfast (brunch?) or whatever out of the way, Dad and I went out to the shady patio for a second mug of coffee. The girls helped Mom to clear the dishes and clean the kitchen.

I asked and got a comprehensive run-down on what is happening on the farm, as well as with my sister, who made it her job to come visit with the girls every day. Lisa was helping Mom in the running of the house and the few chickens and geese around the yard. Lucy was pitching in with Dad, helping feed the horses and checking on the crops in the fields.

“Mighty fine little lass that Lucy.” Dad said. “She’s got blisters on her tiny hands from helping stack the bags of potatoes. Did not say a thing until Lisa told us. I told her to back off, but no, little rascal is there every day.”

“Wow, I didn’t think she has that much energy,” I said.

“Yeah, took about twenty minutes, and she drives the tractor too,” Dad chuckled. “Your sister is in stitches, could not believe the little city girl has that much go.”

“It’s all new to her. She learns fast. Let her just be happy,” I said.

“Yeah, I think the little waif is getting to grips with stuff she missed out on,” dad said.

“Such as?” I asked.

“Being an orphan and not getting the love a child needs,” dad said, taking a sip of his coffee.

“She’s not an orphan, her mom is still alive. A little incapacitated currently, but still alive,” I said.

“Yeah, but Lucy living with people that’s just in it for the money. Not a healthy situation.” Dad said. “What are you gonna do about her?”

“Time will tell,” I sighed. “I’m thinking about adopting her.”

“YOU! Adopt her!” Dad laughed. “How you gonna do that, not being married and all?”

“Oh, I’m working on that,” I said.

“Yeah, Johnny-boy, you got no girlfriend, so how’s the getting married and adopting a child thing gonna work? Or do you have some secret solution, that we don’t know about?” Dad asked.

“I might have Dad. I might have...” I said with a wink.

“Thought you might. Nice girl ... the doctor, I mean...” Dad said, winking at me.

“Let’s cross that bridge when we get to that bridge, Dad,” I said.

“Yeah, just invite me to the party too,” Dad said.


The day progressed without any major train wreck happening. Dad had some stuff to do and just winked at me when Lucy declined to go with him. That left the two girls and me driving around the farm on two four-wheeler quad bikes. Lucy on her own and Lisa with me on the Polaris Sportsman.

There was a nice shady spot near the river, under the big old willow trees. I headed in that general direction, going past other places of interest and stopping here and there. I recalled things out of my youth and relayed them to the girls. We reached the spot that I intended to go to, after driving around for an hour and a half.

“What a nice place for a picnic!” Lisa said.

“Thought you would like it,” I said, opening the “toolbox” on the back of the four-wheeler. I took out a blanket and a big basket, secretly prepared by super Mom.

“Oh boy! A blanket and a picnic basket! Should I go for a long walk?” Lucy said.

“No! You stay right here. Never know what creepy-crawlies are here, waiting to catch you and have you as a picnic meal...” I said, and spread the blanket under the old willow tree. The river flowed fast and muddy past us, due to yesterday’s rain. Over near the opposite bank, there was a little eddy made by the curve of the river.

“Okay, if Lucy stays, then I must go,” Giggle, Lisa said.

“Girls! You both stay! Now, let’s relax ... it’s such a tranquil setting here,” I said. “Get comfortable, there’s a lot to eat. Who’s for a salami sandwich?” Two pairs of eyes smiled at me, one pair sky blue, one pair dark brown. Two faces grinned.

And so, the impromptu picnic began under the cool old willow tree, next to the muddy river. But hey, everything can’t be a paradise made in a fairy tale. I mean, the grass was long, not the manicured lawn in the countryside you see in the movies. No, this is Africa. But, lay the blanket on top of the grass, then it’s perfect for three on a picnic. That’s why I brought the blanket in the first place.

“So, what’s to drink?” Lisa asked.

“Iced-tea a-la-mama,” I said.

“Rooibos?” Lisa asked.

“Rooibos,” I answered.

“Yummy. Is it cold?” Lucy asked, fluttering her eyelashes at me.

“Ice cold, like the heart of...” I stopped. The girls giggled.

“ ... the heart of a girl of ill repute.” Giggle, Lisa finished my statement.

“Lisa! That’s, ... that’s...” Giggle, Lucy said and blushed scarlet red. We all burst out laughing.

“Girls, let’s get some cold-hearted iced tea,” I said and took the bottle out of the basket. “I can promise you my heart is warmer...”

“Mine too,” Lisa said, flattering her eyelashes at me. This is going to be a memorable picnic. Two lovely girls and me in the middle, on a picnic blanket, under a willow tree, next to a river. Somewhere a fish eagle called...


It was late afternoon when I woke up under the willow tree on top of a picnic blanket. Two girls, one a teenager, another one a teenager at heart, lying next to me. Lucy had her arm draped over my chest from the right. Lisa, lying on her side, had her left arm over my waist, her left leg over my left leg.

“I think the picnic snuggle is over,” Lisa sighed, opening her eyes.

“I think we should move. The sun is sucking water,” I said. (Sun is sucking water = an old fisherman’s saying for the sun is setting.)

“African sunset. Is it just as beautiful here as in the bush?” Lucy asked.

“You ARE in the African bush,” I said.

“Let’s pack up and go home, then you can show us the sunset” Lisa said, disentangling herself from me. And there it is again; go home, mine or ours?

“Yes, let’s go before there’s a search party out for us,” Giggle, Lucy said.

Packing the picnic stuff was done in a flash. Well, how long can it take to dump the empty containers and the blanket back in the quad bikes’ “toolbox?”

Two quad bikes roared to life and took the quick way home. Lucy was flying out in front, riding the bike like a pro. Well, I said she learned fast.

Back home with bikes stowed, picnic stuff cleaned and placed back in the pantry, the two girls disappeared to their rooms, giggling as they went. I wondered what was afoot. Two girls, as thick as thieves. No good for my health, that is.

Mom caught me as I was going to my room. A little amused grin on her face.

“You having a hard time choosing?” Mom asked.

“You don’t even begin to imagine,” I said, sighing.

“Maybe I do.”

“Then tell me, what to do, Mom,” I asked.

“That, I cannot do. I can’t choose for you. You’ll have to work things out on your own.”

“I suppose so ... But it’s a hard thing to do,”

“Just don’t rush things. You’ll get the right answer, when it’s time. The answer, my son, is blowing in the wind...” Mom said, winked at me, and smiled.

“I hope so Mom. I really hope so.”


To the south of Timor-Leste, in the Timor Sea, a cargo ship was just about to begin its course change to the north-west, going towards the Banda Sea and the Indonesia Sea. The plan is to weave through the islands and emerge into the Philippine Sea, heading for Japan, with the mixed cargo.

On the bridge, the captain of the ship stood by the starboard window. Looking towards the Island of Timor-Leste slip by. This will be his fifteenth time sailing this route. Timor-Leste, also known as East Timor, occupying half of the Timor Island. The capital city, Dili, has a statue named, Cristo Rei de Dili, sitting on a hilltop east of the city, overlooking panoramic views of the bay beneath. This 27-metre-high statue is one of the landmarks that recalls the nations struggle to independence from first, Portugal, and later from Indonesia.

Although the captain and his ship passes by the island to the south side, the captain could visualise the city, and it’s people, on the north coast of the island. He had been there a time or two. Dili, meaning “City of Peace,” is part of the free trade zone, the Timor-Leste Indonesia Australia Growth Triangle.

The captain felt the presence of the cook on the bridge and turned around.

“Good evening, Captain. Coffee or tea Sir?”

“I would like a cup of tea, please.”

Good Sir. I will have your favourite Gyokuro tea ready in your cabin for you.” the cook said, slightly bowing from the waist and turned to leave.

“No need to take it to my cabin. I’ll have it here on the bridge.” the captain said and dismissed the cook. He then turned back to the window.

The lush tropical island of Timor slipped past as the ship sailed along its westerly course. Soon they would turn to the north, through the Banda Sea and the Indonesia Sea, onward to Japan.

The captain wondered for a moment if Aika, the lovely girl he knows, will be home. It’s always such a pleasure to entertain her.


Night comes fast in Africa. It gets dark less than twenty minutes after the sun goes down. Can you ever describe the emotion of an African sunset? When the sun goes down in the west in its red shimmering splendour, and the bush comes alive. The nightlife starts to awaken out of its slumber, after the heat of the day.

Africa’s mysteries are not ever understandable or believable, but need to be respected. A lot of mysteries surround the hills, the bush and the valleys covering the continent.

In Africa there are many countries, but the continent is like none other; vast and diverse, from horizon to horizon. Breathing the air alone is like an indescribable sensation. Seeing a sunset awakens the inner soul of man. It makes you experience something of the peace, the stillness and quiet of the harmony of nature. Africa, and its abundance of life; not only in the animals, the rivers and streams, or the majestic mountains, but the energy that surrounds all that walk her soil.

It was long after the onset of night when I was quietly standing at the low wall around the patio. Soon the moon will rise and bathe the farmyard in her silver light.

The low sound of a piano playing came to me. The opening bars were something familiar to me. The sound drew me in, and I walked into the house. There was Lisa, in front of Mom’s old upright piano, sitting on the little piano stool. Her right leg with the plaster cast was to the side. Lisa’s long slender fingers were gliding over the ebony and ivory coloured plastic keys, playing the Mozart Piano Sonata No. 16 in C Major.

Mesmerised, I stood watching as Lisa’s left and right hands were playing independent of each other. The right hand was keeping the low notes in harmony with the left hand running up and down the keys. The first movement is the Allegro part and appeals to me. Light and playful, like dancing butterflies.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.