Elements of Power 3 - Cover

Elements of Power 3

Copyright© 2020 by PT Brainum

Chapter 19

“Before we debark, I was wondering if there was a gift you might ask for,” I told him, delaying the opening of the ship.

“I’d like one of those guns that took off Kkarkkenik’s leg.”

“I’m sure you have much more effective weapons, that was a single shot gun.”

“Even better, the bastard deserved it,” Menbar said.

“How about I give you the gun that actually shot him,” I asked.

“Now that’s a gift!” he said.

I reached down into the box on wheels sliding my hand into a hole that tightly wrapped around my wrist. I pulled out a piece of paper, a pen, and then an exact copy of the gun used, a less powerful single shot version than my original pearl based gun. What we were carrying used a supercapacitor, I wasn’t risking pearl based technology in this trip. In an emergency I would conjure extra weapons.

I handed the paper and pen to Mike, “Write a brief description of when and how the gun was used, it’s serial number is 007,” I told him with a wink.

I handed the gun to Menbar, who hummed in pleasure. “It’s not charged, you’ll have to build a compatible charger yourself.”

“Not a problem,” he said, holding it up to one of his eyes, examining it closely.

Mike quickly wrote out a certificate of authenticity, describing the date and time it was fired, and who it had injured. He signed it as ‘Security Officer Mike, Poseidon Dominion.”

He handed it to me, and I added, “Gifted to agent Menbar, as a token of appreciation and esteem by the order of Admiral Barkley, of the Poseidon Dominion.” Then I signed and dated it.

“Take this also,” I told Menbar, “My people have a tradition of providing certificates of authenticity for items of this nature.”

He read it quickly, and I could sense a biological shift, but I couldn’t guess it’s meaning. “You do me great honor. Now let’s go see what the galaxy is selling today!”

The front of his ship opened, and the platform he was sitting on lifted up, and slid out the door, skimming above the floor by centimeters. I grabbed the handle of my rolling box, and tugged it thru the doorway, following 3M.

“Wow!” he said, just before running into the halted Mike.

The area was a riot of colors, shapes and noise. Dozens of species waddled, walked, rolled, slithered, skittered, and otherwise perambulated beyond the doorway of the hub airlock we were parked in.

“Come on newbies, let’s go see if you’ve got what it takes,” Menbar hollered.

They shuffled forward, and I glanced back at Val who was only scowling lightly, her hand resting on her gun. “Relax, nobody is going to hurt me,” I told her.

Past the doorway the space opened up in what was best described as an exhibit hall. Some booths were obviously permanent structures, offering escape from the bustle into quiet enclosed shops. Others were simple tables, covered in a myriad of objects, the proprietor standing behind, ready to assist with answers to any question.

In the distance were the big conglomerates. Their spots dominated the center of the space, rising high above the otherwise single story buildings, tents, and booths, reaching the ceiling more than a hundred meters above. I recognized the symbol on one, they had requested I drop in to discuss the technology acquisition I had messaged them about.

I felt Val stiffen as we were approached by a large green and yellow mantis. She reached for her gun again, but I put a hand on her, “No hat, it’s a female. They don’t do the frenzy.”

The being stood regally before us, my power sensed that she was quite old compared to Kark. She bowed stiffly, “Honored Admiral, I am Chachanae, Senior of the Klirkk. I have come to offer apologies and restitution,” she said.

The people wandering around, moved away as if we were surrounded by an invisible bubble. “Might we sit somewhere quiet and converse?” I asked her.

“Indeed, I have reserved use of a place of refreshment, just this way. If you would be so kind as to allow me to host your party.”

I looked at Menbar, who gave an all too human shrug with three of his four arms, “All my party would enjoy a moment away from the visual display of this environment.”

She turned, and the crowd scattered from in front of her, as she made a straight line towards a golden tent with an unbound standing at the doorway. We entered finding the lighting subdued, and large backless seats, almost ottomans, had they been softer.

The seats were arranged in a circle, and the staff set trays before each of us, then departed. Chachanae sat stiffly, but regally across from me. “Honored Admiral, I bring the apologies of the leadership of the Klirkk. We are prepared to transmit to you 5000 Poolnar tokens, as a sign of our sincerity.”

I looked at Menbar, “That’s quite the sum. For someone like me who lives and works here, I make about 500 tokens a year.”

“I thank you for your sincerity. May I inquire as to the health of Kark?”

“Kkarkkenik recovers well, and will soon leave to return to his home on our world. What happened was very unusual, and not something that has happened for many generations.”

“I’m interested in the biology of it,” 3M interjected, “The head covering, is it a filter to prevent reactions to pheromones?”

“It filters, but it also covers his coloration. Male Krikkk display various colors during their reproductive cycle. The krooker hides their affliction from prying eyes, but he should have known his cycle, and taken extra precautions.”

“I’m curious, do we smell particularly tasty to you too?” Mike asked.

“No, but Poolnar has explained to us that there is a pheromone that humans produce that is similar to those produced by a particular species raised as food. They contain a critical amino acid for the proper development of young males.”

“I wonder if there might be an Earth species that might make a good food item to trade to Klirkk. If we produce it, then likely other creatures from our world will also.” I said.

“That is an interesting idea. The animal that we raise is difficult to control, and quite large. I know if no other member that has ever triggered a similar reaction, we may have a surprising biocompatibility,” she said.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.