A Helpful Man - Cover

A Helpful Man

Copyright© 2020 by Westside24

Chapter 2

Back in his apartment, Mark went on the internet and looked for information on the Wilkinsing Foundation. There were several articles that he found which talked about the excellent work it was doing. He also found and watched the interview John Wilkinsing had done on Sixty Minutes and saw where he mentioned the fitness center and having a CPT there to staff it. The articles indicated that Troy Kane who was a director of the foundation was the person who oversaw these projects and probably did the major hiring.

In trying to go to sleep later, Mark tossed and turned. He couldn’t get this CPT position out of his mind and wondered if this small town living was what he wanted to do.

The next day late in the morning between patients Mark placed a call to the Wilkinsing Foundation. He asked to speak to Troy Kane and reached Pat Evans who said she was Troy’s executive assistant. She asked Mark what was the purpose of his call and he responded that he was inquiring about the CPT position at Lake Lancer.

Pat informed Mark that he was a little too late because earlier that morning Troy had instructed her to offer that position to another CPT who had applied some time ago. She did encourage Mark to go online and complete an application as she said the way things were going here they may need other CPTs in the future.

Needless to say that Mark was a little disappointed and at the same time maybe a little relieved to hear what Pat said. With nothing pressing for him to do, he did go online and completed an application.

It was three days later that Mark received an email from the Wilkinsing Foundation which said that Troy Kane would like to do a zoom call with Mark tomorrow at ten if that was convenient. Mark responded that it was convenient.

After signing in to the zoom call Mark asked Troy what this call was about.

“It about an opening we are trying to fill for a CPT position we have at the fitness center in Lake Lancer,” said Troy.

“I was told you had selected someone and extended an offer to that person.”

“We did do that but that CPT told us that he was presently living in a South American country and had no plans to return to the States. With him declining we still have that position to fill.”

Troy then interviewed Mark by basically going over what Mark had put down on his application. He did ask Mark why he wanted to leave his present employment and Mark gave him his honest response of the expense and deteriorating conditions where he worked.

Troy asked Mark if he had any questions and Mark said he did.

“What can you tell me about the fitness center there?”

“It is newly constructed and we think it is a state of the art facility. It has only been open for two weeks. Right now we envision it to be a triple six operation. By that I mean it is open from six to six, six days a week. The CPT will have the overall responsibility for running and overseeing its operation but from a practical view, it is a two-part operation. One being the administering of physical therapy and the other being managing the fitness center.”

“I have hired Nancy Kilmer who will be responsible for managing and staffing the fitness center. It is her responsibility to see that the center is open for business at the posted hours. She will also handle the monthly memberships and walk-ins in collecting those fees. Nancy will only be working there when her children are in school. Before she left to deliver her first child she was a clerical supervisor at the highway department. Now that all of her three kids are in school she says she can work during school time.”

“The CPT will be responsible for administering therapy to the patients referred primarily by the doctors at the clinic there but there could be some referrals from other doctors located by the university.”

“I understand the clinic consists of two internists, a cardiologist, and a dermatologist. There is no large group of orthopedic surgeons there such as those located here where I work and are referring patients. Are those doctors at the clinic going to refer enough patients to a CPT?”

“No, we don’t think there will be a large number of referrals. Further, we estimate the fitness membership’s fees will only be enough to cover the cost of that operation, primarily going to pay the salaries of the staff which will be the biggest expense.”

“How then do you justify having a CPT there?”

“We justify having a CPT there because John Wilkinsing said on national television that we would have a CPT there.”

Troy’s response answered that question thought Mark.

“What are the salary and benefits?”

“The salary will be what the national average is for CPTs and the benefits are what all Wilkinsing employees have. Are you interested in that position?”

Mark was quiet for a while thinking about it weighing the pros and cons. Finally, he said that he was interested.

Troy told him they would verify what was on his application and do a background check. If there were no problems he would be notified that the position was his and he could give his two-week notice. After that, he would be expected to go to Lake Lancer and start work. Ending the call Mark hoped he had made the right decision to move and go to work there.

A few days later Mark received a call from Pat Evans telling him that the job at Lake Lancer was his. Mark thanked Pat for the news and said he would give his notice. He planned to be in Lake Lancer and would start working on the first of next month. He gave his two-week notice and started to think of things he needed to do now before the move.

One thing he did was to call Marty and he told him that he was moving to Lake Lancer. Marty congratulated him and wished him luck. Marty said to stay in touch and maybe he would be up to see him on some long weekends.

Mark had dated a few women but nothing currently was serious. Because of that being the case the only other people he needed to tell he was moving were his parents who lived in Del Mar, CA. They were surprised at what he was doing but after he explained his reasons they understood.

During the drive to Lake Lancer in his fully loaded SUV, there was a mixture of thoughts that were running through his mind. They ranged from if he had done everything he should have done to make this move to what he needed to do he was there. Mark was a worrier which caused him to have these thoughts but that’s just how he was.

Driving into town his first stop was at the fitness center. He entered the building and walked up to the lady who appeared to be about ten years older than him at the reception counter.

Extending his hand to her he said, “I am assuming you are Nancy Kilmer. I am Mark Andrews and will be the CPT here.”

“Nice to meet you Mark, Troy said you were coming.”

“If you have time can you show me around?”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.