A Ten Pound Bag - Cover

A Ten Pound Bag

Knucklehead House Press

Chapter 205: The Value of Intel

Editor: nnpdad 11 May 2022

I dismissed the General Council but held back my Council of War; that council consisted of Sheriff, Pete, Holder and myself. When Holder returned with Amos and Timmons in tow, we were ready to begin. I asked that the shutters be closed and the lamps lit, we needed to minimize the reach of curious ears.

Once everyone was settled at my end of the table I started in.

“OK Pete, give us the full story.” I was sure that there was more to it than he had initially offered, ‘ears everywhere’ my ass. I sat back and waited for his explanation.

“There is a band of people of half-tribes and half-white, accepted by neither.” Pete began.

I knew this, Cher sang a song about it; they were called half-breeds.

“They have no land to claim their own and are from many different tribes. Many lived here until Rulo came.”

Well I didn’t know we chased anyone out and I suffered a small twinge of guilt.

“They are hungry, but they are always hungry for there is no tribe to help them.” Pete continued on, “The Kansa lost many warriors attacking you and had a very bad hunt this summer, they ask the half-breeds to join them in stealing our herds and killing our warriors. They promise them food and slaves.”

“Some half-breeds join with the Kansa, the rest come here to bring this news in exchange for winter food.” Pete finished.

Story time over, time to consider and decide; nobody else was talking and it wasn’t a hard decision, I went with my gut. “If what they say is true then they may build lodges on my land for this winter, we will have food for them as well. We will know if an attack is coming soon.”

I turned to Amos, “Amos, we need the drone up, Pete will show you where to search. Take the extra batteries and the base, we will be tracking them constantly. We need eyes in the sky.”

“Pete if what they say is true they may come after the battle, only families who did not attack us. Please gather your scouts and warriors”

“Timmons, we need the boats to move north to safety. Take the children on them if possible. Please start preparations.”

“Sheriff, send out riders and call in the militia. We need any man who can fight to assemble with packs, weapons, ammunition and five days rations at 6 p.m. tonight. Have them assemble in the town square.”

“Holder, bring me your sharpshooters. We will all meet here again in three hours time. I’ll be at my house until then.”

With that, the meeting was adjourned and preparations begun to surprise the surprise attackers. Well I didn’t get to adjourn; I was waylaid by Timmons, Michelle and Sonya; back inside I went.

Timmons led off the charge, “I’ve got three boats here plus the skiff which we can load with supplies.” He stated. “There is a cove on the eastern bank about ten miles upstream which we can anchor in and everyone can sleep on the boats. The crew will be fully armed.”

It was a better plan than I had hoped for so I simply nodded and replied that we would send the drone to him with a message attached when it was safe again. That was all that he needed; he left to roust boatmen and move supplies.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.