The Holes Binding Us Together - Cover

The Holes Binding Us Together

Copyright© 2020 by Vincent Berg

04: Mother-Daughter Discussions

Either a mother and daughter know each other very well
or they are strangers.

Kyung-Sook Shin

“Holy Mother Mary, Joseph, and his favorite pet donkey!” Paul finally turned away from the blank wall over his shoulder. “You weren’t kidding, were you?”

“Why would I? You were honest with me when you had no reason to.” Peg climbed over the bed, escaping at its foot. “By the way, thanks for defending me.” Reaching out, she helped him escape the fluffy, green quilted bed. “You could’ve been killed.”

“He saw an easy, naive mark. I wanted to establish you weren’t no pushover.” He glanced around the room. “So, this is what suburbia looks like? It’s as bad as I feared.”

“What,” she giggled, “you don’t appreciate stuffed toys?”

“No, those are fine, it’s the frilly stuff and lack of yummy-guy sports posters. Life in the city is about developing a persona. This screams ‘girly-girl’, which is asking to be taken advantage of.”

“So, who was that? Why did he attack?”

Paul shrugged, sitting on the edge of the bed. “Jack’s a loan shark. Things were getting tight for a while and I had to borrow some cash. I made several payments, but have avoided him as I gather the rest together so I can pay him a lump sum and negotiate the interest. I’m guessing that rat-bastard Slim tipped him off, knowing he was looking for me. He probably mentioned you too, hoping for a little extra.”

“I don’t think it’s a good way to cover your basic needs.”

“It isn’t, but it’s not like people our age have much of a choice. Unlike other kids on the streets, I’ve done well. So much so, I got a bit cocky and squandered more than I should have. When the weather turned and everyone huddled in rather than traveling to the city, my income dried up. So, I was forced to resort to other sources. There are so many panhandlers, begging isn’t an option. Especially since a kid begging in the street is a major red flag for the cops. I figured I’d be able to earn it back relatively quickly. It just wasn’t soon enough.”

“Sounds like a tough life. I can’t imagine living like that.”

“You get used to it. It’s what existing on your own is about; three steps forward and two back. You can only beg for so long, and with no other options, sex is our only ready commodity. At least it allows us to choose who we sleep with, rather than what I faced back home. That’s why I headed for New York, as so many do.” Paul glanced around the room. “Is it safe for us to be talking like this? Is there any danger of your parents hearing us?”

“So far, we’ve been pretty quiet, but I need to figure out who’s home.” Taking a backpack from the closet, she stuffed extra clothes in it. Pausing, she considered several favorite knick-knacks, before settling on a single miniature Teddy Bear. “After I disappeared,” Peg indicated the empty bed, “either the police took my information or Frank did. There’s no telling which.”

“If you ditched the cops, they’d file a missing person/runaway-child alert. The locals will be searching for you.”

“I wasn’t planning on playing in the street. Jason’s parents wouldn’t appreciate it.”

She reached out, feeling the nap of his jacket. “It’s quite nice for someone living on the streets. Is that what got you into trouble?”

“This? No, this was a gift.”

“It’s an awfully nice one. It fits you perfectly. My mother never gave me anything so exquisite.”

Paul extended his arm, admiring it while properly displaying it. “It should. It’s hand-crafted and custom fit. It was made by a S&M leather master.”

“I hate to ask...”

“It’s someone who makes toys and outfits for people who like tying each other up. It’s a big thing. They’re always one-upping one another.”

“So, who gives a child hooker something so expensive? By the way, are you a hooker or a prostitute?”

“Please, hookers are girls who hustle money for their pimps. Prostitutes are those trying to scrounge whatever they can. With as many kids as there are selling themselves, going cheap isn’t profitable. I’m a pro. By charging premium prices, it attracts better clients. They’ll pay more to ensure they don’t catch something—or that I won’t try to steal, con or blackmail them. The loan I took out was an investment. Like any business, I need to invest in inventory: clothes, shoes, colognes and hair products. I was doing well and decided to purchase more than I usually do. Instead of buying a single outfit at a time, I bought several, which I store in a storage locker. Rather than wearing a couple nice suits, I rotate them keeping them fresh. And it worked. I earn a lot more that way.”

“Until it didn’t.”

“Yeah, the storm caught me unprepared. So, what’s the plan? Hide out here hoping no one notices? Flee on foot, or duck back in your magic hole and go somewhere new?”

“I’m not sure. The holes I’ve tried only lead to a few places. I can’t really predict where. But they’ve been pretty consistent. They appear to be limited to how many areas they link, though I haven’t found any connection between those they do.”

“If you don’t mind, referring to them as ‘holes’ feels fairly ... childish. I think I’ll use portals, as in dimensional portals.”

“You’re right. It makes it sound more sophisticated.” Stopping for the moment, she left the backpack open, planning to add more later. “Where did you learn this stuff? For someone who doesn’t attend school, you seem surprisingly well-educated.”

“I’ve always been an avid reader and didn’t want to fall behind. The New York public libraries are a safe refuge. No one bugs you; they leave you alone—assuming you take off at the appropriate time—and there are few as well stocked.” He grinned, his smooth cheeks highlighting his blush. “I’ve always had a weakness for science fiction and fantasy. I like believing in better things than what we encounter every day. There have got to be better options, somewhere.”

“Is it safe for you to return?”

“Yeah, forget about it,” he said, waving his hand dismissively, as if born and raised in Brooklyn. “I know my way around. The only reason Jack caught us is ‘cause Slim turned me in. It’s easy to disappear in Manhattan—especially if I stay with someone for a few days at a time. Unfortunately, Jack and his goons will be searching the usual haunts, so it’ll be difficult using the portal for a while.”

“That’s a problem, ‘cause you can’t return to New York without it. Our best bet is to go back and try another and see where it leads. But it could go anywhere.”

“Trust me, we’re both cute. Whether they’re into girls or guys, we’re covered.”

“As much as I like you, I can’t imagine sleeping with strange men. What’s it like, having sex with older men day after day?”

“I wasn’t suggesting you’ll need to hook wherever you go. If they want something or just think we’re cute, we have options. But it isn’t like when I was living at home and was forced to. When I left, I was already used to it, so it wasn’t as big a deal sleeping with someone for money. I have choices now. They pay me, but I can always refuse. And there’s always a chance I can live with him for a while. Trust me, any day I’m off the streets means I’ll likely survive that much longer.”

Peg slipped her shoes off, leaving her socks on.

“I remember those days, sneaking around your home, afraid family members will corner you and try something.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.